tschelle

Aug 31, 2011
Hi,

I am moving to Bali next year and want to bring my dog as well, besides from the complexity of importing a dog I am also worried about the climate for this breed - a pug.

When it's 25 degrees here he is fine in the shade. But does anyone have experience with furry / snup-nosed dog in Bali?

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Over it!!!!!!!

Please do not bring you pug to bali, there are enough dogs here without the influx of foreign breeds. Also there is a fast growing trade in stolen western dogs, either for breeding, or training to be a fighting dog, dont ask about this it is too disturbing.... bali dogs are delightful when u get them as pups, highly intelligent, loyal and, they belong here, not like all the imports, when their used bye date has expired, they are dumped...oh my goodness we live in a rabid dog country, cant take muffy, sweetie et al back home, so lets just give them to the "universe" please check out the web site about lost dogs in bali....will make u think again about putting your little darling through tramatic quartine, to be possibly in a life threatening situation.

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Pugs don’t deal with the mild climate all to well from when they are puppies so I think to move them into a tropical climate (where you cant protect him for a qhile whilst he is in quarantine) I think would be very difficult. You would need to ensure his rolls are sweat free every day etc. Im not sure I would put myself through the hassel of doing it..

Just as a question, might seem really stupid but why do people even bother going through the hassle of importing their pets into Asia??

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
not over it,, but a little over the top don't you think scout?

absolutely not Gilbert, my friend runs a dog shelter just out of Ubud, and sees all this and more!!! dogs are stolen on a daily basis, and the smaller ones are used as "bait" for dog fights, they have their teeth removed so they cant fight back ok, got the picture
:icon_e_sad:

Apr 26, 2011
absolutely not Gilbert, my friend runs a dog shelter just out of Ubud, and sees all this and more!!! dogs are stolen on a daily basis, and the smaller ones are used as "bait" for dog fights, they have their teeth removed so they cant fight back ok, got the picture
:icon_e_sad:

can these people not be jailed .... or have their teeth pulled out....

tschelle

Aug 31, 2011
Where can I read more about stolen western dogs in Bali? It sounds scary, but I am just wondering how the dogs normally gets stolen. I would probably live in a villa outside of Sanur, probably with 24 hour security. What is the likelihood of something happening there?

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Where can I read more about stolen western dogs in Bali? It sounds scary, but I am just wondering how the dogs normally gets stolen. I would probably live in a villa outside of Sanur, probably with 24 hour security. What is the likelihood of something happening there?

haha I wouldnt rely on your garden gnome to protect your future RW Sate's

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja

If you have 24 hour security pretty much Zero. A lot of dogs that are stolen are then resold to other people as pets. Just don't leave your gates open.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud

Bali Missing and Dead Dog Register
ALWAYS USE EMAIL balimissingdogregister@yahoo.com TO REPORT YOUR MISSING DOG We can only help you if you help us. We need to collect accurate information that can be kept in an easily accePROCEDURES...

Copied from Linda Buller's facebook page, she is an advocate for the dogs here in Bali and runs a shelter just out of Ubud.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
also from her FB....

Lizzie Love ‎@Susanna. Apology accepted. Please read the post a few minutes ago about dog theft in England. It happens everywhere and if pet owners REALLY loved their pets they would secure them properly. How many pet owners would leave their I phone in the street? Or leave their laptop in the yard when the fence was broken and construction workers are around. In ANY Country!!! we need to value our pets mire than our laptops and I phones. By not taking precautions we are part of the problem. PLEASE pet owners... Consider this. Place more value on your pets than your electrical equipment.
Wednesday at 5:19pm via mobile