I'm fortunate that my pensions and investments give me a comfortable life style so I don't think I'd use the local medical facility anyway. My wife is 57 so private insurance for her is reasonable (we use Cigna) but I'm 78 and health insurance for me is sold from Fort Knox..

Hi Adrian2 and welcome to the forum.

Your 1st post is a copy of what I posted some time ago...did you plan to add anything?

Eeewwww! Who's getting pissy now??

What's that mean...I just don't understand why someone would simply copy what I posted without any other comment...looked to me like something is missing.
Or am I missing something....can you explain?

Last edited:
Well Davita once you've been here a couple of weeks you'll notice that crap comes around again and again. Yours also wasn't the first time it came by so just put it down a case of your incredible longevity in the Balipod playground.

Well Davita once you've been here a couple of weeks you'll notice that crap comes around again and again. Yours also wasn't the first time it came by so just put it down a case of your incredible longevity in the Balipod playground.

Then I bow to your experience but cannot fathom your comment 'Eeewwww! Who's getting pissy now??'
What does that crap mean?

OK...

Some good news .... Seems like all foreignes holding KITAs can apply for BPJS !! (health insurance)

I thought that was just extension of that previous gov. health insurance (Jam Sostek or something like that) which was crap ... again better than nothing I guess ..
But for this one I heard some foreigners applied for it ... and some locals were surprised with service and coverage of BPJS !!

Anyone knows anything ?

Retirement BPJS NOT available after age ....I THINK 71.

If you were already on BPJS you can stay on it.

Applies only to expats ... I know nothing about spousal, employed, etc. Changed about 2years ago ..

Please let us get it straight...
Currently BPJS is NOT available for those on a retirement Kitas/Kitap .
When BPJS was introduced all expats, on IMTA/Kitas, were required to contribute if employment was for more than 6 months. Somehow, many retirees were able to join while the BPJS was being formed then, but later, only those on spousal Kitas/Kitap were declared eligible.
Those who did manage to join as retirees, are still members, but I've no idea where the future is with that...typical Indonesian fu***p!

Last edited:
Actually it makes sense that those on a retirement Kitas are not entitled to register for BPJS, as one of the conditions of their limited stay permit is proof of third party health insurance!

Actually it makes sense that those on a retirement Kitas are not entitled to register for BPJS, as one of the conditions of their limited stay permit is proof of third party health insurance!

Although I don't disagree with you I don't see why that is significant. Many Indonesians have private medical insurance and are members of BPJS. Most of the Indonesian Government employees, police and TNI have their own medical services and members still join BPJS.
Becoming a BPJS member will soon be mandatory for all Indonesians. I suspect after they've sorted that out, and their debacle with the e-KTP, maybe they'll get around to what to do with expats and BPJS.

Last edited:
davita, the key difference is that Indonesians who have private health insurance tend to use it to supplement the less comprehensive, government BPJS scheme. From the government's point of view, It makes little sense to require foreign retirees to have private health insurance as a condition for their Kitas, and then to allow them to enjoy the government subsidized scheme as some sort of supplement to their private plans, which by right should be more comprehensive than the basic safety net of BPJS. Also, unlike foreign workers (who can sign up for BPJS), retirees on Kitas tend not to pay any income taxes in Indonesia and therefore should not expect any rights to subsidized government services.

davita, the key difference is that Indonesians who have private health insurance tend to use it to supplement the less comprehensive, government BPJS scheme. From the government's point of view, It makes little sense to require foreign retirees to have private health insurance as a condition for their Kitas, and then to allow them to enjoy the government subsidized scheme as some sort of supplement to their private plans, which by right should be more comprehensive than the basic safety net of BPJS. Also, unlike foreign workers (who can sign up for BPJS), retirees on Kitas tend not to pay any income taxes in Indonesia and therefore should not expect any rights to subsidized government services.

I agree with you Mark...I just don't think those who created the BPJS system had retiree-expats in mind when they were writing the rules...thus the loophole that some managed to use.
However, if the RI should apply the law to tax retirees on their overseas income, which isn't practiced at present, then that issue of belonging to BPJS by retirees might need re-addressing.
I'm comfortable with the system as is and paid for my own medical treatment in Bali, which is currently around US$30,000.

Back