odez999

Jul 4, 2011
OK...

Some good news .... Seems like all foreignes holding KITAs can apply for BPJS !! (health insurance)

I thought that was just extension of that previous gov. health insurance (Jam Sostek or something like that) which was crap ... again better than nothing I guess ..
But for this one I heard some foreigners applied for it ... and some locals were surprised with service and coverage of BPJS !!

Anyone knows anything ?

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
It a new thing from last year .

I got it for my fiance about 6 months ago in Renon .also got seperate policys for her daughter and her mother.
you must chose your hospital and your doctor . when my mother in law was sick last week my wife brought her to the doctor and no payment was needed even for the perscriptions.

I have added myself to the policy since I have my spousal kitas

We all have the top policy about 60k a month

honestly it better then no insurance at all . choose your doctor and hospital wisely as may be hard to change

on a side note supposidly all "bosses" are to supply health insurance to the workers

BPJS KESEHATAN

davita

Mar 13, 2012
OK...

Some good news .... Seems like all foreignes holding KITAs can apply for BPJS !! (health insurance)

I thought that was just extension of that previous gov. health insurance (Jam Sostek or something like that) which was crap ... again better than nothing I guess ..
But for this one I heard some foreigners applied for it ... and some locals were surprised with service and coverage of BPJS !!

Anyone knows anything ?

I looked up for membership but it says that foreigners have to have worked for at least 6 months and made contributions....BPJS KESEHATAN

Maybe it will work on a spousal Kitas as a family member...but I doubt on a retirement Kitas.

I contribute/pay for my household staff's Jamsostek...... but have to medically self-insure, due to age...:ghost:

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Thanks for the confirmation Smoke, I think I'll sign up with my spousal KITAS too and see how the system works.

Just for the record, it's not so much that foreigners that have worked in Indonesia for 6 months are allowed to join, it's that they must join, it's compulsory.

You can download the appropriate ruling ('Undang-Undang Nomor 24 Tahun 2011 tentang Badan Penyelenggara Jaminan Sosial') here: BPJS KESEHATAN

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Last night I was told that some retiree visa holders had managed to get the BPJS card here in Bali. It was told 2nd hand, so cannot confirm yet, but I've searched and found no information other than for expat employees.

Meanwhile....anybody know where to apply and get the application forms...I'd like to give it a shot.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Jl. Raya Puputan Niti Mandala Renon Denpasar Complex 80232, Tel: (0361) 222 206 ]

Thanks Smoke...I'll head over there soon and post any results.
Personally it's unlikely I'll use the system but...one never knows if it may be inevitable.
Also, I might need to change our house staff out of Jamsosteck and into BPJS.....so I need to find the rules.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
[MENTION=11670]davita[/MENTION] it will not compare to ur "western" health policy , but definetly worthwhile for people on a budget and great for staff and extended families

davita

Mar 13, 2012
[MENTION=11670]davita[/MENTION] it will not compare to ur "western" health policy , but definetly worthwhile for people on a budget and great for staff and extended families

Thanks again Smoke...I kinda understood the BPJS would have limited benefit but I don't have any medical insurance. At my age most companies will not take the risk and the only one I can find...I'd need to rob a bank to pay the premium....so I self-insure.

The info about expat retiree visa holders getting the benefit of BPJS was from a meeting of the Rotarians.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
yes from my understanding ANY KITAS/KITAP holder can get it .There may be an age limit to join :eek:

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
If you have Karta Keluarga (family Tree Document) with your spuse you can do it all online ! They need you to enter KK number on BPJS site and from there you continue .. and you can pay it all online and it is processed in a day or two ( I have tested it) !
So from that side it is ok !

I think even Kasih Ibu that fancy Smancy hospital in center of Denpasar is supposed to take BPJS holders (it is on BPJS hospital list) ...

BUT I heard that there are many people from Java complaining on BPJS, about treatment on some places etc ...

this BPJS could be big failure ! Concept is really really bad ! First thing .. ppl will figure that calss 1 is waste of money .... and later on Hospitals who did deal with gov. will figure that it is a waste of their money and resources too to accept those on BPJS .. some already did ...
I heard from some that in some areas this is even worse than previous Jamsostek !

Hopefully for you Davita and all eldery indonesians they will have some sort of bennefit ... I took it coz I was living for year without any !!! I think it is fair to give half of your one month MINIMAL wage for 1 year med. insurance ! that is the roughly case with BPJS and locals !
If I were Ozzie on fat pension living in Indo I would mind wasting fraction of my monthly income on some expensive worldwide insurance too ! But we aint all from that beneficial circle ! And I always try to look at it from average Indonesian perspective rather than my own ! and try to judge from there !

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
@ Davita, There is NO age-limit. I am 72 and have Kitap. I got my BPJS card last week without a problem. BE early as it can get very busy. It took me almost the whole day but I arrived after 10.00 am.
My two cents.

Dick

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
In Denpasar (Renon) just across Immigration Office is BPJS "office" ... they start to givin number as early as 06:00 mourning !!! At 10:00 or 11:00 it is already finished with numbers ... And It will take you all day ...

davita

Mar 13, 2012
@ Davita, There is NO age-limit. I am 72 and have Kitap. I got my BPJS card last week without a problem. BE early as it can get very busy. It took me almost the whole day but I arrived after 10.00 am.
My two cents.

Dick

Thanks for the info Dick.
I'm fortunate that my pensions and investments give me a comfortable life style so I don't think I'd use the local medical facility anyway. My wife is 57 so private insurance for her is reasonable (we use Cigna) but I'm 78 and health insurance for me is sold from Fort Knox...:greedy_dollars:
Fortunately also, I only have a slight hypertension condition which is manageable with a daily pill...but even that costs more than my weekly wine bill...:cupcake:

I insure our maid/driver and their families within the Jamsostek system.... so I'll ask our driver to check out this new BPJS to see if it has better benefits for them...that's why this thread has my interest.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
I have the BPJS card primarily because health insurance is a compulsory part of a Retirement KITAS. A mate had to use his recently and was very impressed with the service.

PaulW

May 20, 2014
Ketewel/Gianyar
I'm joining this thread because I'm one of those 'pensioners' (Canadian), who's paying a ridiculous premium ($3,000 a year!) for private 'global' insurance that has a $20,000 deductible, effectively meaning it won't pay claims until they reach that ceiling! So I really need something cheap. I'm glad to see I may be able to get BPJS, but I don't know much about it. I guess I can call the number you gave, Smoke, and get some information, yeah? The address you gave seems to be a bit vague for Google maps to find! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
I guess I can call the number you gave, Smoke, and get some information, yeah? The address you gave seems to be a bit vague for Google maps to find! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah, unless your Indonesian is fluent I don't think you'll have much luck calling them. I doubt they'd answer the phone anyway, Indonesian government departments rarely do.

Here's a google maps link to the exact location of the office: https://www.google.co.id/maps/place...11608,115.2303235,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

It's almost directly accross the road from the Immigration office. You can't miss it because it'll be packed with parked motorcycles, even at 8am in the morning. Good Luck! Let us know how you go.

PaulW

May 20, 2014
Ketewel/Gianyar
Yeah, unless your Indonesian is fluent I don't think you'll have much luck calling them. I doubt they'd answer the phone anyway, Indonesian government departments rarely do.

Here's a google maps link to the exact location of the office: https://www.google.co.id/maps/place...11608,115.2303235,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

It's almost directly accross the road from the Immigration office. You can't miss it because it'll be packed with parked motorcycles, even at 8am in the morning. Good Luck! Let us know how you go.

Thanks, DenpasarHouse, my bahasa Indonesia isn't as fluent as I'd like, so I'll take your advice about not calling and make a visit, maybe next week. Thanks for the location map too. I'll post the results of my expedition!

Gusti

Dec 16, 2011
"Setiap warga negara Indonesia dan warga asing yang sudah berdiam di Indonesia selama minimal enam bulan wajib menjadi anggota BPJS"
Which is meant that if you've stayed more than 6months in Indonesia, you can apply for it, please search for the requirement to apply for BPJS before you go my friend

PaulW

May 20, 2014
Ketewel/Gianyar
"Setiap warga negara Indonesia dan warga asing yang sudah berdiam di Indonesia selama minimal enam bulan wajib menjadi anggota BPJS"
Which is meant that if you've stayed more than 6months in Indonesia, you can apply for it, please search for the requirement to apply for BPJS before you go my friend

Thanks, Gusti. I have lived here for 6 years now, so that's not a problem. From what I read on this thread, it's an all-day process that I'll have to go through when I get there, like many bureaucratic operations in Indonesia, ya? I will check the requirements on the website, but I think I do have the qualifications. Thanks, again.