ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
nobody will be getting deported for a demo like that guys :p
This is not Syria or USA in this matter, us locals would say they do have a point but they really do look foolish in their actions :tongue:

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
nobody will be getting deported for a demo like that guys :p
This is not Syria or USA in this matter, us locals would say they do have a point but they really do look foolish in their actions :tongue:

I disagree ... the whole tone of the rhetoric on FB is aggressive and uninformed, and still no one has taken up the baton and offered to put their name on the demo application...however, there is a top secret meeting organised to try and resolve this ...

I repeat NO foreigners are allowed to take part in civil actions, street parades or political demonstrations, particularly those on tourist visas...the Polis and Immigrasi will have a field day ... the Toyota showroom is jam packed already.

Harley Rides and Hash Runs are a different matter before some smart arse sticks their oar in.

... but what do I know ... only been caught up in three demos that turned into riots here ...

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
https://www.facebook.com/groups/balicommunity/permalink/864820466866514/

Susi Johnston

10 mins

Ok, the crime and public safety situation here has gotten way out of hand. It's time for this: TRAVEL WARNINGS.

I'm sad to say this, but it's time. Europe, USA, Australia, UK, Canada, NZ, and many other countries compile information and disseminate travel warnings to their citizens. With so much crime in Bali, and so much of it now involving violence, injury and death, it's time to punch the panic button. That's what our foreign services, consulates and embassies are there for.

Governments around the world use information/reports from their consulates and embassies overseas to compile travel hazards information and issue alerts and warnings via many channels, formal and informal.

It's time that we all write to, email, and/or telephone our respective consulates and embassies here to inform them of the now significant dangers to life, limb, and personal property of foreign visitors and residents in Bali.

Contact your local consulate in Bali, AND your embassy in Jakarta now. Be clear about your concerns. Include weblinks, written reports, and media articles about the rising crime wave in Bali. Many of these are available here on this group page, also on other group pages (Bali Expats, Ubud Community, Safer Bali, etc). The incidents do not need to involve a citizen of your home country. The tragic attack on the two young Korean women is not a Korea-specific incident. It is an incident that underlines the serious crime risks in Bali for people of all nationalities.

I think this is perhaps the very most effective action we can take right now. And it WILL make a difference. The international foreign service circles in Bali and Jakarta are regularly in contact with each other, and discuss issues (like this one, and others) that affect their respective citizens in Indonesia or planning a visit to Indonesia. They do NOT want to get a call in the middle of the night when one of their citizens is injured, attacked, robbed, or on the way to the morgue at Sanglah. They hate that. They really do.

Additionally, the Indonesian Government has just lifted restrictions on foreign investment in the tourism sector, now allowing foreign investors to hold 100% of tourism-related enterprises in Indonesia (with some conditions). Tourism and foreign investment are being taken very seriously in this country, and problems that affect them will not be taken lightly. There is a lot at stake, economically.

WRITE, PHONE, FAX, EMAIL NOW.

Lists of contact information for your respective consulates and embassies are available online in many locations, as well as in guidebooks and magazines here in Bali. Do it now. In your own words. You do not want to read about one of your fellow countrymen/women being involved in a tragic incident of violent crime here. Do it for Valeria, Kimmy and her friend, Paul Latourell, and for everyone else that has been, or may be, a victim of violent crime in Bali.

Start now. Right now. Before you finish your lunch! The database/map of incidents will come in the "next wave" of communication to public agencies and media. Even ten or twenty or thirty personal written expressions of concern delivered to international foreign service personnel in Indonesia will cause change to begin, will send ripples over the surface that reach all the way to world capital cities, and the desks of Indonesian government ministers in Jakarta . . .

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
https://www.facebook.com/groups/balicommunity/permalink/864820466866514/

Susi Johnston

10 mins

Ok, the crime and public safety situation here has gotten way out of hand. It's time for this: TRAVEL WARNINGS.

I'm sad to say this, but it's time. Europe, USA, Australia, UK, Canada, NZ, and many other countries compile information and disseminate travel warnings to their citizens. With so much crime in Bali, and so much of it now involving violence, injury and death, it's time to punch the panic button. That's what our foreign services, consulates and embassies are there for.

Governments around the world use information/reports from their consulates and embassies overseas to compile travel hazards information and issue alerts and warnings via many channels, formal and informal.

It's time that we all write to, email, and/or telephone our respective consulates and embassies here to inform them of the now significant dangers to life, limb, and personal property of foreign visitors and residents in Bali.

Contact your local consulate in Bali, AND your embassy in Jakarta now. Be clear about your concerns. Include weblinks, written reports, and media articles about the rising crime wave in Bali. Many of these are available here on this group page, also on other group pages (Bali Expats, Ubud Community, Safer Bali, etc). The incidents do not need to involve a citizen of your home country. The tragic attack on the two young Korean women is not a Korea-specific incident. It is an incident that underlines the serious crime risks in Bali for people of all nationalities.

I think this is perhaps the very most effective action we can take right now. And it WILL make a difference. The international foreign service circles in Bali and Jakarta are regularly in contact with each other, and discuss issues (like this one, and others) that affect their respective citizens in Indonesia or planning a visit to Indonesia. They do NOT want to get a call in the middle of the night when one of their citizens is injured, attacked, robbed, or on the way to the morgue at Sanglah. They hate that. They really do.

Additionally, the Indonesian Government has just lifted restrictions on foreign investment in the tourism sector, now allowing foreign investors to hold 100% of tourism-related enterprises in Indonesia (with some conditions). Tourism and foreign investment are being taken very seriously in this country, and problems that affect them will not be taken lightly. There is a lot at stake, economically.

WRITE, PHONE, FAX, EMAIL NOW.

Lists of contact information for your respective consulates and embassies are available online in many locations, as well as in guidebooks and magazines here in Bali. Do it now. In your own words. You do not want to read about one of your fellow countrymen/women being involved in a tragic incident of violent crime here. Do it for Valeria, Kimmy and her friend, Paul Latourell, and for everyone else that has been, or may be, a victim of violent crime in Bali.

Start now. Right now. Before you finish your lunch! The database/map of incidents will come in the "next wave" of communication to public agencies and media. Even ten or twenty or thirty personal written expressions of concern delivered to international foreign service personnel in Indonesia will cause change to begin, will send ripples over the surface that reach all the way to world capital cities, and the desks of Indonesian government ministers in Jakarta . . .

... and they all lived happily ever after ...

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I agree something needs to be done. I don't know what exactly. If though the demonstration is successful, and the various countries add more travel warnings to Bali, couldn't this potentially create more problems, ie. less tourists, less jobs, no income -> more crime?

I heard about bag snatchings since I first came here. Is the problem worse than before? Or is it because we now have facebook that we know more about the crimes taking place?

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
I agree that this is really a problem in Bali, albeit less of a problem than it is in other SE Asian countries. Still, it's becoming more prevalent.

What I don't get, is people talking about police inaction, and not being able to find the people who have committed the crimes. These people obviously trail a person until they can snatch their bag or iPhone in a quiet area, before driving off. If the victims are able to provide a license plate number (unlikely while being attacked), then they might be able to try to track down these people. Otherwise, they escape into the night and no one can tell the difference between them and any random two Indonesians on a motorbike.

Am actually interested to hear what they think the solution is.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009

I agree with you. Maybe the key is prevention rather than catching thieves. Maybe also harsh punishments for those they catch so to make an example out of them.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
I agree that this is really a problem in Bali, albeit less of a problem than it is in other SE Asian countries. Still, it's becoming more prevalent.

What I don't get, is people talking about police inaction, and not being able to find the people who have committed the crimes. These people obviously trail a person until they can snatch their bag or iPhone in a quiet area, before driving off. If the victims are able to provide a license plate number (unlikely while being attacked), then they might be able to try to track down these people. Otherwise, they escape into the night and no one can tell the difference between them and any random two Indonesians on a motorbike.

The prevalent attitude is 'Why should we do anything, you have plenty of money, it is nothing to you...you lost your phone/camera big deal, buy another'

The correct solution would require a complete overhaul of the judicial system from top to bottom, which is never going to happen ever.

So MY solutions would be :
Be far more aware of your surroundings and situation.
Take pictures of any suspicious looking characters and situations.
Do what you can to protect your home physically, including a big nasty, noisy dog.
Carry Pepper Spray and a Taser...extreme? Rapists often experience erectile dysfunction with 10,000 volts zapping through their nuts and their eyes streaming.
Stop looking like a trippy dippy hippy.
Don't become predictable, and that goes for indoors as well as out.
Trust no one.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Yeah they tried that before,so they would kill you rather than be caught.Or do they do that anyway??

Prevention by the local authorities. Could be better street lighting, more police on patrol on weekends between 12 - 6 AM, alcohol tests on drivers (not related with thievery but will save lives nevertheless), ...