davita

Mar 13, 2012
This subject is discussed on another thread but was off-subject.
Anyone know what it contains and what to avoid...opinions please.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
I guess just have to wait and see, acouple of days ago I had to bring my laptop in for some minor repairs,and the guy was saying that from what he heard its supposed to be a combination of Windows 8 but also with many of the features of Windows 7,,dont know how trues this is maybe just hearsay,personaly I could never manage either Vista or Windows 8,i had bought a new laptop while Vista was the in thing ,and then later bought again when 8 was the in thing,like I said I couldn't manage either of them so I had them converted back to 7 again,and I will be sticking with it for now,im one of those believers that when something works don't try fixing it,but im not very computer savvy to be honest,

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Well, Davita if you search "Windows 10 review" you will find plenty. The reviewers are speaking to a nerdy audience who get excited by new features.

But, Nydave, you have kept to Win 7 so score higher on the luddite scale than me. I have my luddite leanings for example I don't talk to my smart phone to issue commands or ask questions, but then on the other hand I am addicted to some smart-phone capabilities like maps. Because my current laptop is Win 8.1 and is fully up-dated, I expect Win 10 to just roll in like a biggish Windows update. My first reaction will be to see to what extent I can just keep carrying on without change, then slowly I will explore new capabilities - maybe really like some but mostly let the luddite part of me ignore them. I will report back in a couple of weeks.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
[MENTION=1522]ronb[/MENTION] post #4

Thanks ronb. I did as you linked and you're right, there is info aplenty... much of which went over my head. However, I did note that the free (gotta luv that) was available for up to 1 year. I was recently asked if I wanted to reserve the download and I replied YES. Maybe I don't want it now, at least for a while, can I cancel or will it automatically download on the 29th?

One commentator said the update contract with Microsoft more or less allows them to access and use ALL your data...legally. Isn't that a little scary?

My all-in-one came loaded with 8.1 but I was able to keep the 7 desktop platform, as I'm familiar with that. There is an icon to swop from 7 desktop to 8.1 desktop but I hardly bother with it....but I do like the sign-on screen as it doesn't use passwords...just click on a certain area of a picture...so easy.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Yes you can cancel. There is a small Winows icon at the bottom right of your screen, click it to get Get Windows 10 display, in the top left of that is a menu icon (horizontal lines), click it and Select View Confirmation and there is a Cancel Reservation at bottom left.

Alternatively you can let it download, then it is going to prompt you when it wants to do the upgrade and you could keep putting it off. But since we haven't got there yet we don't know how annoying that nagging could be.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks...I followed your instructions successfully. It says I will be notified when to install so think I'll wait for that...then decide.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
My suggestion is NOT to become an early adopter of Windows 10. Be patient and wait until the inevitable bugs get ironed out. Give it a few months to learn what doesn't work properly.

Windows 10 will be "free" for 12 months in two basic flavours that normal users will face:
The Home edition and Pro edition which depend on which version of Windows 7/8 you currently have.

The difference?
(And this is my main gripe with what I know of it so far).
There is no way to turn off Windows "automatic updates" in the Home edition.
In the Pro edition, you can defer them for a while, but sooner or later, they'll be back. A stupid strategy on Microsoft's part, IMHO.

So, what to do?

1. Before "upgrading" to Windows 10, create a bootable drive image of your existing system, and if Windows 10 goes pear-shaped, (or you don't like it), you can get back to all that worked for you in the first place.
There are several free programmes out there that will let you do that, eg, Macrium Reflect.

2. Be aware that a drive image vs a clone of your system are slightly different. They both copy your entire system.

A cloned disk is an exact copy of an existing disk, so if your main disk is, say, 500GBs, you'll need a spare (or new) disk the same size to clone to.
This is great if, for example, you want to move your current disk to a solid state one, or a new bigger one. After cloning, you have to physically swap out the old disk and replace it with the new one.

A drive image is one big compressed file of your disk. No need to swap out physical disks.
However, there has to be some way to access the drive image later.
The free version of Macrium Reflect gets you to create a bootable drive (flash disk, CD/DVD).
When you boot from it, you get to choose which existing image you've made (you can have more than one), and that's it.
Also, drive images are much smaller than a cloned disk.

3. Before creating a drive image, remove/uninstall software you don't really use. Run complete up-to-date anti-virus, malware scans to get rid of any infections, etc.
Drive images and cloning disks take a lot of time to complete. The leaner, the better.
How long depends upon how fast your computer is now.

Keep in mind that if you don't have at least a drive image of your current setup and install Windows 10, there's no way to go back.

:icon_eek:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
That's what I fecking said! Course it was a bit shorter and in another thread...

Doing a drive image is a piece of cake - reinstalling it an absolute nightmare.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

So for those that aren't comp geniuses there's really no way back. Naturally you could get Johnny C to come over and do it for you... He's got oodles of time on his hands.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Hahaha,Ronb you nailed it,thats exactly how I am,it works so no need for change in my opinion,same with the smart phone, my 5 yr old son can do things on my phone ,things I didn't know were even in my phone,and speaking about phones,i was always a big BB fan used them for several years but as time went by and I guess as I got older I needed to increase the text size so I could read it which then meant I had to scroll left and right on the screen to read emails and such,in my job im constantly on the move and I would receive several emails /messages each day that needed instantot replies and the phone was and still is my only way around this,i don't use a tablet because im sure its like Win 8 or whatever,the scrolling became too much hassle so I eventually changed to a Samsung galaxy phone,bigger screen that made things easier,however I never liked it,im also someone who likes a real keyboard,you know keys to press,so I just got a new BB passport and what a phone,4 1/2" square screen,and I have a real keyboard as well as a touch one,feels like heaven,honestly its not the prettiest looking phone,its square and a bit alkward looking but works great,,

Having read what Davita said about the Win 10 download I got the same message some time ago,like him I clicked yes cause I couldn't see an option to click no,now im worried because I honestly don't want it,and as you know im on Win 7 and I don't see any icon anywhere where I can check a cancel button,do you have any info about how I can get around this without having the download automatically happen,if you do I would appreciate your advice,

Thanks Guys,

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
Luddites of the world unite! Well, I guess not technically 'luddites' by virtue of simply having a computer and taking part on a forum but I'm with the old saying, "if it aint broke....".
My first laptop lasted nearly 8 years with hardly any updates and when it decided to become difficult it wouldn't support updates that I wanted to download. Planned obsolescence anyone?
Anyhoo I bought a new Mactop 6 weeks ago with all the new programs etc. and 4 weeks later they ask me if I want an update, cue ignore. I still cling to my dumb phone, it makes and receives phone calls, it doesn't have a camera, doesn't get pictures or update notifications, it sends and receives texts and has an inbuilt torch. "But you can't check your emails and reply to them asap", they say. "Exactly" I say.:02.47-tranquillity:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
To Steve Russell (almost Luddite)

I think I saw you in a bar recently...you were the solemn lookin' guy without a gadget in your hand...you looked so forlorn as everyone else was showing pics and things in their phones to each other....and giggling like little girls do. Then, every so often, they look into the phone/gadget when there wasn't any ringtone...surely these things ring when there's a message or something..so why do people constantly look at them if nothing rang. Are they praying it'll ring, or showing to others that they are important and must be available immediately...just in case it rings?

I saw you telling others what might have been a funny joke but they all turned ON their gadgets and completely missed your punch line...I felt sorry for you but noticed you were a handsome man with a mature look and fine white hair and were still cheerful enough to order another Bintang...good on yer I thought...till I saw....I was looking in the mirror!

Sorry, got to go, my phone is ringing in my pocket so I'll take it outside....probably XL saying I have a promo. Everyone is looking at me...I must be famous!!!:confused:

Last edited:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
...Doing a drive image is a piece of cake - reinstalling it an absolute nightmare. ..So for those that aren't comp geniuses there's really no way back.

Not true. However, some "free" drive imaging software lets you create an image without a way to access it later unless you upgrade (pay) to change from the trial version.

The free Macrium Reflect doesn't do that. It gets you to create a bootable disk (flash/CD) first, which you can check to see if it's working.
Once the actual image is completed, you boot from that disk and pick the saved image you want (you can have more than one).

There is "really no way back" if you don't have a working drive image in the first place, apart from completely wiping and re-formatting the main drive.
And then re-installing whichever Windows version you originally had, plus all the other software you used to use.

If you don't have the original installation disks, or you never got them (laptop vendors are notorious for this), things then get more complicated.
You might be forced to download a pirated version of Windows or buy one from a local rogue software shop.
You could also ask your nearest police station where it got its software from.

:icon_idea:

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Actually Ronb,no need to answer my last request,i figured it out today and managed to cancel it,thanks again

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
thumb.php

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
Nup! That wasn't me. I had a gadget in my hand it's called a book and it was a 'Mills & Boon' one. You must have seen me when I was reading the chapter that Sarah Fothington-Smythe had just buried her favourite cat and didn't know how to tell the rest of the pussy's and kittens that their long loved cats meow had exhausted her 9 lives when, just at that moment, a new moggy made an entrance, he was a ginger..........

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Sorry Steve...wrong pub. The ones I frequent have rules against reading...but members do frequently converse about pussy...:icon_eek: