What's in a Name?

Markit

St. Regis Slammed Over Butlers’ Western Names

January 29, 2010

By I Gusti Made Putra

DENPASAR ~ A luxury hotel in the tourist enclave of Nusa Dua urging its Balinese butlers to adopt Western names so that their well-heeled guests will feel more at home has enraged one of the country’s top spiritual leaders.

The St. Regis Resort and Spa, which opened to fanfare in March 2009, requests that its team of butlers uses names that are plucked from British literature, such as Edgar, in an apparent strategy to confer on the service staff an inference of the traditional British servant.

Anand Krishna, who runs spiritual centres and workshops in Bali and writes a weekly column in this newspaper, said he was outraged that the butlers were told to use Western names.

“I think the management of St. Regis is totally ignorant of the very purpose of tourism,” he told The Bali Times on Thursday.

“It is not only saddening but disheartening that a hotel of their repute could make such a blunder. A totally wrong understanding of the concept of tourism,” he said.

[st-regis-bali-facade]

What’s in a Name: The entrance to the plush St. Regis at

Nusa Dua where butlers provided for high-paying guests

take Western names to help the wealthy cope with Bali.

The marketing and communications director at the St. Regis, Geetha Warrier, confirmed that the resort, located along the white-sand Geger Beach, employed butlers among its 30-strong, mostly Balinese team who used Western names.

“They are given a stage name derived from the most famous butlers in the world. It is a gimmick, a talking point, which is received very positively by the team and guests alike,” she told The Bali Times.

“These English names are chosen by the butlers themselves and are not forced upon them. We have butlers who use their own names.”

However, some of the butlers at the St. Regis, who cater to guests who shell out up to US$5,500 per night, according to rates on the hotel’s website, have reportedly said they are uncomfortable using an adopted Western name and would rather use their own.

Krishna said foreign tourists should be open to the experience of enjoying the delights of a different country.

“The original idea of tourism was to visit new places, and learn new things. A Peter coming to Bali must get to know Putu here, and taste some pasar (market) delicacies,” he said.

“When I visit my daughter in Spain, I do not look for Indonesian satay or Indian curry there. I prefer tapas and Sangria. I do not want nasi goreng in Los Angeles; I would rather have bacon and sausages for my breakfast. I eat fish and chips in London; I would not look for ikan bakar. I go all the way to Raffles in Spore to have a Singapore Sling.”

The spiritual guru, who has worked with the Dalai Lama, called for action against the St. Regis.

“I suggest that Bali Tourism Board and other government institutions reprimand the management of St. Regis, and ensure that this situation is changed immediately,” he said.

Meanwhile, Desiderius Rian Karismaputra of the National Commission on Human Rights (Komnas HAM) in Jakarta told The Bali Times that the top-end hotel’s policy violated the intrinsic rights of their employees.

“Under the law, Indonesians have the right to use their own name, and cannot be forced to change it to something else,” he said.

“According to the Law on Antidiscrimination of Race and Ethnicity, Article 4, there is a term of one year in jail or a fine of Rp100,000 (US$10,600) for violations,” he said.

The St. Regis joins a growing number of high-end hotels in Bali. Part of the US-based Starwood group, its sister properties in Bali include the Westin, Le Méridien and Laguna, while a W hotel is under construction.

Suarno of conflict-resolution section of the Department of Manpower in Badung regency, where most of the island’s tourism is located, said, however, that if there was an agreement between the hotel and its employees that was approved by the All Indonesia Workers Union (KSPSI), there would be no problem.

“But if the company is not a member of the KSPSI, the workers of the hotel can complain directly to the management of the hotel, that they don’t like using a Western name,” Suarno told The Bali Times.

The St. Regis said that because it was a new hotel, its employees were not yet members of the KSPSI.

I don't know about you but this made be kind of mad.

Not even sure why, exactly. But I did email the nice people at the St. Regis and told them what I thought of it.

Please feel free to do the same: [email protected]

Dear Sir or Madam,

With reference to the recent article about your changing the Balinese employees names to reflect western butlers names as some sort of marketing gimmick I would like to tell you how appalling I found the whole idea.

I have now lived on the island of Bali for over a year and found the people to be some of the warmest, noblest and most respectful people anywhere on the planet. To reduce this to the level of a Disney cartoon by having them become "Jeeves" or "Berty" or any other mythical and subservient figure of fiction is degrading to:

1) them, because they are powerless to stop it - regardless of your statement that they can choose not to take part - no one believes that, not even you.

2) you because it is a silly and badly considered idea which reduces your establishment to the level of the Magic Kingdom - is that what you are after?

3) all the people that stay at your house as we/they are implicitly condoning the situation.

4) all westerners, by association, as we are now seen by the Balinese to find this a good idea and their expectation will change accordingly. What's next birthday parties at Besaki, diving contests at Tanah Lot?

Please stop this silly and misguided "marketing" ploy and be glad, very glad, that your company has the opportunity to have such fine people working for them - be they called Made, Wayan or Ketut.

Thank you for your attention

and........ i will add to my email that in lieu of this marketing, i will NOT stay nor recommend this hotel.

Sounds like selling the soul for gold...

-But-

“These English names are chosen by the butlers themselves and are not forced upon them. We have butlers who use their own names.”

So they are not being forced. Of course we all know how easy it is to direct the Balinese employee to a certain way without 'forcing'. I do too read this with reservation.

I find Anand Krishna pretty fanatic about certain things, he sometimes makes -me- crazy by the things he says (e.g unhappy people are a burden for the society
) So he certainly is not my guru.

But when I think further...
How many artists change their name only in the name of marketing? As tourism is (one of) the biggest source(s) of income on Bali, I have no problem when Bali tries to market itself this way. As long as it is not being pushed (tricky as I mentioned before), why not?

Sometimes it just sounds better, or with so many Ketuts, Mades, Gedes, Wayans, Nyomans etc. etc. it's just easier to remember. And oh hell yes! I do like Chinese in Spain! Or Greek in Germany! I have no problem with an Indonesian John or Charlotte.

And the real reason I have no problem with this is because...
I think the Bali culture/ character with its daily rituals, ceremonies, strong family bindings etc., is strong enough to change names without losing its personality and spirit. I don't think it will cause a personal crisis, nor do I think it is degrading or humiliating. It could be seen as something you do for your profession.

Generally I think the Balinese can handle this whole changing-name-thing (emotionally) better than Westerners would do.

Same things happens in Lombok. The beach sellers have a western name as well as their sasak name. They have implemented this themselves as it helps the tourist remember which seller they have met, or spoken to already... and are more likely to buy from them later. They still use their real names with those that want to or can remember. It is no big issue for them. But on the other hand there is nobody asking or telling them to do it which would be a different kettle of fish.

sorry....but like the title says...what's in a name???

I have many names...in holland gilbert, gil, overhere bli/om/mas/pak kor or cok (not cock :lol: ), in the US they call me H or black H in the swiss it's gillie.
and in some other places I have other 'names' wich I won't post 8) :twisted: .

who cares??I don't! not for myself.
It all about 'fitting in' and that hotel is not balinese standard...know what I mean?

chilli said:
100% agree with you Markit.

its infuriating to me also :shock: :shock: :shock: !

chilli said:
and....the total denial of a culture and a language.
HOW EMPTY IS THIS CROWD !?
I totally agree with both of you Markit and Chilli
To please tourists who are coming from outside Bali or to make them easier to remember balinese names is not a good reason to change a name of a balinese person...........to sell their culture............we should not forget that this is their country............what makes foreigners to think they can come and change the names of the people just for the pleasure to make them to remember their names for a few days or one week????????????........

What´s is a name???
I think all of us here knows that a balinese name is not just a name isn´t it?
Gilbert, of course you know that Pak, Bli, Bapak, om, mas, cok...........are not names.
Takes maybe a few days but to me is easier to remember a balinese name than a foreigner name (expecially some duch names, german names..........) the only problem is not get confuse later!!!
I was laughting when I read the first time this topic!!!!! pretty hard to believe a hotel wants to do this............another thing is people doing this as a individual like the sellers at the street s, drivers or guias and for fun................but a hotel???????????????
Still laughing..................

sorry....but like the title says...what's in a name???

I like this boomerang comment... ;-)

Begonia, serving tourists is like entertainment...it is a show...
I am called Sophia in Portugal, Zoe (with umlaut) by Greek, Solange in Spain. Not to forget Dewi on Bali ;-) But I will be the one and only and 100% MiSO! Where ever I am.

Last edited:
Markit, I agree this infuriated me too. I believe that employees' names should remain unchanged because I know they wouldn't be able to "volunteer" not to participate (as that would mean they would have to go find a job elsewhere).

I can see the Hotel's point of view here too...some tourists want to sit in their insular little world and be pandered to by people they see as "servants" and what better way than to give said servants pet names. This hotel is not selling Bali, they are selling a package of pampering not available elsewhere in Bali. Those tourists staying in these types of hotels are the same type that will never know what they've missed out on by not venturing outside the compound that is their hotel in the whole time they are on holiday....or if they do, it will be by bus (or private car) on a pre-organised tour that avoids all the areas that us mere mortals love to visit.

Now before anyone jumps on me...I'm NOT one of those types of tourists. I want to get into the middle of things and learn the local language, which still eludes me I'm sad to say, get involved with the local culture and meet the local people face to face. I love being able to sit and chat with someone about what they do for a living, how they live, how they pass their free time etc. I just wish I could get my head around another language (would make things much easier for me to talk with everyone then).

I find Anand Krishna pretty fanatic about certain things, he sometimes makes -me- crazy by the things he says (e.g unhappy people are a burden for the society) So he certainly is not my guru.

I usually skipped over his articles in the Bali Times, now it looks like he is in the news himself.

From the Jakarta Globe:

A prominent spiritual guru on Saturday denied allegations that he sexually abused his female students, a day after at least two women reported him to the National Commission on Violence Against Women.

“I categorically deny all those allegations,” Anand Krishna, 54, told the Jakarta Globe in a telephone interview. “I have never dealt with, or provided consultations on meditation or any other services, on a one-on-one basis for at least five to six years.”

“I have always said love is the solution. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding here ... There are people who do not like me.”

According to his personnel Web site, over the past 17 years, Anand claims to have spread his spiritual messages about health and education to millions of Indonesians through numerous radio and television shows, books, in-house training sessions, newspaper interviews and opinion articles, as well as through workshops held at his meditation centers in Jakarta, Bogor, Yogyakarta and Bali.

Arimbi Heroeputri, a senior official at the commission, also known as Komnas Perempuan, who took the complaint on Friday, told the Globe that the complaint alleges that Anand “touched” the women, telling them that it was part of the process.

The alleged abuse took place in an overnight meditation course. “The students said they could not refuse, as it was part of the spiritual activities. They also said that all of this took place in private and not as a group,” Arimbi said.

She said that while only two women gave testimonies, 10 other women accompanied them to file the complaint. Arimbi declined to give further details, saying only that “more than two” women are suspected to have been allegedly sexually abused.

Anand denied having ever held private classes. “I have public group sessions, involving 30 to 40 people at any one time,” he said, adding that he didn’t consider those who attended his sessions to be students.

“I do not have students and I never force them to take classes. Many people consider me a teacher, but that is up to them ... Those accusations are not correct.”

Anand also refuted accusations that he had hypnotized the women in order to take advantage of them. “I do not engage in hypnosis or conduct hypnotherapy. At my centers, we only make suggestions as to how someone, for instance, can overcome their fears and apply [our method] in their own lives — like telling one’s self on a day-to-day basis: ‘I am not afraid,’ and believing it.”

See Spicy I think it's a funny old thing but what we say and what we do must not always be in harmony or to put it more bluntly Bill Clinton blowing a load on Monica Lewinsky's dress didn't detract from his policy towards China IMHO or?

In many cases it is intended to distract us from what people are representing because some other interest group has a different agenda. Not because they want to "inform" us or add to the knowledge base.

See Spicy I think it's a funny old thing but what we say and what we do must not always be in harmony or to put it more bluntly Bill Clinton blowing a load on Monica Lewinsky's dress didn't detract from his policy towards China IMHO or?

In many cases it is intended to distract us from what people are representing because some other interest group has a different agenda. Not because they want to "inform" us or add to the knowledge base.

Disharmony is as natural as harmony, but this damaged his career, his credibility... Him I can understand, ML... I just don't understand women... (shoot, I shouldn't be saying this...)

It is not unusual that the line between a "guider" (Guru, therapist, teacher, doctor) and the 'guided" is very thin. A know Indian philosopher was also accused of abuse. Also an old teacher by my classmate. Sometimes it's due to miscommunication, misinterpretation. Sometimes it is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes it's true.

Back to "What's in a name":
Guys, does a dresscode for employers bother you as well? It's also a way of giving up your 'identity'.

I am called Sophia in Portugal, Zoe (with umlaut) by Greek, Solange in Spain. Not to forget Dewi on Bali ;-) But I will be the one and only and 100% MiSO! Where ever I am.

Back to "What's in a name":
Guys, does a dresscode for employers bother you as well? It's also a way of giving up your 'identity'.

From these two quotes Miso I would say you have a fairly flexible attitude, to put it mildly, to your own identity not just your name.

I will only speak for myself but my name was given to me by my parents in consultation with their parents and I have tried to live up to that my entire life and not bring dishonor to it (have to admit haven't been entirely successful, but that's another story). My cloths I buy at the local market or shop and I try to change them regularly.

I have never changed my name! And I don't intend to do so and I object most strongly to to anybody doing it for me in the form of a nickname or anything of that ilk.

I have found that most people are proud of their own names and wish them to be pronounced correctly and with proper inflection. None of them want to be called Jeeves.

Whats just as bad is the expats that come here and adopt a Balinese name, makes me cringe just as much as locals adopting Western names.

uhhhhhhhhhhh the reflexion of Markit I think is pretty good, at least make me think about my own name, and I can say that my name it was choosen by my madrina (mother what?????'' i don´t know the name in english, is the person choose by my parents to take me to the church for the bautismo and the person who suppose will take care of me if my mother pass away, is like a second mother....), and she choose my name because she liked the Virgen Begoña in Bilbao when she was working there.............and the most of the people like Markit say choose their sons and daughters names for some reasons..............so the most of the time there is "things" behide a name..........
Some spanish guias call themselves Paco, Javi.............I never like this and I think is something really "stupid" (sorry, I don´t usually use this word), make me laugh to think about a balinese person called Paco!!!!!!!!!! is horrible!!!!!!!!!
I agree as well with motormouth!! thankfully is not that popular!!

uhhhhhhhhhhh the reflexion of Markit I think is pretty good, at least make me think about my own name, and I can say that my name it was choosen by my madrina (mother what?????'' !

Begonia, the lovely word you're looking for is godmother.

Hi Begonia, love the quote from Nelson Mandela. I named my son Nelson,after the great man. Actually, so many people say what a great name it is...a really strong name they say. Unlike some of the expats with the adopted Balinese name I spoke of, my wife(balinese) and I compromised on the choice of names. We settled on Wayan Nelson.I liked the story attached to your choice of name Begito

From these two quotes Miso I would say you have a fairly flexible attitude, to put it mildly, to your own identity not just your name.

I will only speak for myself but my name was given to me by my parents in consultation with their parents and I have tried to live up to that my entire life and not bring dishonor to it (have to admit haven't been entirely successful, but that's another story). My cloths I buy at the local market or shop and I try to change them regularly.

I have never changed my name! And I don't intend to do so and I object most strongly to to anybody doing it for me in the form of a nickname or anything of that ilk.

I have found that most people are proud of their own names and wish them to be pronounced correctly and with proper inflection. None of them want to be called Jeeves.

Yes, that's how I see it: not your whole identity is build on your name, it's just a fraction. I don't mind if people slightly change my name because it is easier to pronounce, or because it fits better in the culture. And the names they gave me were beautiful, Zoe means life in Greek, Sophia-wisdom, wauw... You are who you are, no name can change that.

Change your clothes regurlarly...? In my eyes you are the flexible one...

Back