Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I agree with almost everything you say but:

"for instance are you aware that when braking the correct pressure is 70% front brakes and 30% rear brakes depending on the condition of the road surface."

When I did my motorbike license it was the other way around %70 rear and %30 front - try doing your way on a wet pavement and you will spin it around, try doing it on dry pavement and you will flip it over.

But the rest makes good sense that's why I drive a shite car.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
as the leading cause of hospital admissions in Bali is serious head trauma (over 1700 per week recorded cases).

So, 1700 per week makes it 88,400 per year or 2.4% of Bali's total population (if we assume 3.75 million). That's each year - so over a 10 year period it would get to more than 20% of the population who have suffered serious head trauma in that period.

I have my doubts.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Im not sure were you ride, if you slow down everyone fills up the gap. try riding around the industrial area in Surabaya then you can get used to large trucks trying to do u turn on a busy road or when the buses just stop in the middle of the road to let passages off. My helmet that I brought at Yamaha is as good as the helmet I have in Australia. If you put the helmet on the right way around & do the strap up, head injuries would drop 90%. That of course if everyone wears a helmet.

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
So, 1700 per week makes it 88,400 per year or 2.4% of Bali's total population (if we assume 3.75 million). That's each year - so over a 10 year period it would get to more than 20% of the population who have suffered serious head trauma in that period.

I have my doubts.

It may well be true. It would explain a lot of what happens on Bali.....

Ringo Sweeny

Jun 3, 2013
I think the new scooters have ABS systems on their brakes and you can get really effective braking distances with 70% pressure front as the centre of gravity shifts over the front forks generating a lot of downforce pulling you up really rapidly. you are definitely correct that wet pavements and those with gravel need a different approach; for me its closer to 50 - 50. but everyone has a different dynamics and bike condition.

however if you think you can be aware of the condition of the surface ahead whilst maintaining a rapid rate of knots whilst tailgating the preceding vehicle(s), which everyone is doing on Bali, you are deluding yourself. if you are travelling at a constant speed with plenty of room in front, taking consistent lines, the populace at large can comfortably overtake you without cutting you off, plus they can see from a long way back that you are a slower vehicle and prepare to overtake. meanwhile you can divide your focus to say 60 % to 100 - 300 meters ahead of you to look for early warning signs of vehicles compacting, 20% to the space between you and the preceding vehicle and 20% to your mirrors.

if you are tailgating the packs and there is an emergency situation you may be very adept at pulling up fast, but how about the vehicles tailgating you, if there are any trucks, or cars whom don't really give too much thought to those so vulnerable on a scooter/trail bike: are they going to be so clever at pulling up so rapidly. we are talking about a scooter weighing in at maybe 200 Kilos as opposed to a 1500 kilo car or 4000 + kilo truck.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Oh Shit! I just spilled my Bintang - WTF is a "board-shaper"? Is it anything like a "protein crafter" (hamburger maker)? Or more like a "sanitary engineer" guy that stands on the out-pipe breaking up the big turds and fishing out the used condoms?

Let's have a moment of silence for the person, NO! Saint! who "carved out a reputation for quality channel-bottom boards designed using his knowledge of aerodynamics learned while in the New Zealand Air Force.".

Does NZ even have an air force? Planes?

I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight sob, sob. I'll always remember where I was when I learned about .... what the fuck was his name?