Six beaches in Bali polluted - lab tests show

balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Researcher Ketut Sundra, from the Department of Biology at state-run Udayana University in Denpasar, said that laboratory tests on seawater from six popular tourist beaches showed they were polluted.

“The lab test results showed the presence of pollutants that exceed the environmental quality standards at all six beaches,” Sundra said.

He named the six beaches as Kuta, Legian, Nusa Dua, Jimbaran, Tanjung Benoa and Canggu, all of which are located in Badung district in the southern part of Bali, an area that is particularly popular with tourists.

Speaking at a seminar at his university, Sundra said that samples of the seawater were taken during both the dry and rainy season in 2008 and 2009, and that 19 parameters were tested.

“Kuta, Legian, Jimbaran and Nusa Dua can be categorized as lightly polluted, while Tanjung Benoa and Canggu are moderately polluted,” he said.

He said that eight pollutants had been found on the beaches, meaning that the seawater failed to meet the standard necessary to be classified as clean.

Sundra said that among the pollutants found were nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, cadmium and lead. However, he gave no figures for the levels of each pollutant in the water.

Sundra blamed the pollution on ineffective waste management by hotels, restaurants and other hospitality and tourist-related businesses in the area.

Six Tourist Beaches in Bali Are Polluted, Lab Tests Show - The Jakarta Globe

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Of course

Recently, I thought I had noticed a strange taste in the nasi goreng, at several restaurants in Jimbaran and Kuta. My wife said I was too picky, but now, thanks to Ketut Sundra, I know better: the Chefs at these restaurants are using too much cadmium and lead in their dishes.:icon_rolleyes:

Jesse

Feb 16, 2010
Melbourne
With too many tourists flocking the Island, the irregularities in waste disposal can't be helped, that's why the Bali Government should put more effort on waste disposal management in this precious place.

nikita7

Jul 8, 2010
moscow
so sweet to hear this, it will be my first visit to Bali..(((
what a paradise..:icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali

Speaking at a seminar at his university, Sundra said that samples of the seawater were taken during both the dry and rainy season in 2008 and 2009, and that 19 parameters were tested.

Well 19 parameters - sounds impressive - but no test for bacteria or other organisms. If I go for a swim at Kuta, am I worried about the levels of nitrates or cadmium, I think not.

While I wish Sundra well in his academic career, I suggest a little more care with press releases would be a good idea.

sawbones

Nov 1, 2009
If it will not burn and cannot be buried under a villa, let the sea take it away briefly, then spit it back upon us.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
If it will not burn and cannot be buried under a villa, let the sea take it away briefly, then spit it back upon us.

That reminds me of a trip to Bali with my kids, in approx 1987. We went to Jimbaran, unheard of then, no tourists (except us of course) no sarong selling on the beach etc etc etc..... Swimming in the "pristine" waters was unbelievable, plastic, plastic or all sorts, especially large bags, that were possibly thrown overboard from ships and washed in ( this sounds naive but maybe true). We spent the day diving and retrieving, all this plastic, the locals that came to see the show, thought we were crazy!!!! Over 20 something years ago, and yes, nothing has been implemented. We are going to be buried in this rubbish if nothing is done, and soon.
:icon_cry:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
What with the recent reports of Tsunamis that beachfront property is looking better and better!

200 + meters back and up and then swim in your own pool.