charli

So my Hubby will be doing Fly in Fly out work every 3 weeks, so most of the time I will be in Bali with just me and my two beautiful children, 18 months & 3 yrs. We are wanting a change of lifestyle and have chosen Bali. I would love to know where the good places to live are that are safe, good for familes and with an Expat support community, ideally. Any thoughts?

There is a similar thread to this in the archive which you could search for however the basic advice is to come and see for yourself first for at least a couple of months. That way you will know if it is for you or not.

Why Bali?

Hi, welcome on the forum!
Charli, why Bali?

Hi & thanks Jimbo, I will check the archives for similar information.
Bali is only 3 1/2 hrs away from where my hubby will do Fly in Fly out work. We are needing to save some money for a deposit on a house in Perth, and with the cost of living in Bali including all storage fees & extra airfares etc etc we can save a lot more money this way. And I am bit of a free spirit who loves a challenge, and Perth really is not feeding my soul at this point in time... so that is a small insite in to my though of... "Why Bali?".

Bali seems to be a bit of hot spot right now with people from Perth. The flight is close and I think the air fares have really come down in price recently, maybe of Air Asia starting up. I am sure it is cheaper to fly to Bali and have a holiday than flying to the east coast of Australia from Perth.

HiCharli. I did the same thing your hubby did (3 on/3 off out of Perth). And lived in Bali whilst doing it.

That was about 6 years ago. I since found similar work here in Indo and other parts of Asia and permanently relocated to Bali.

Just a hint: You wont save too much money here. But come try for yourself. Your hubby still has to pay tax in Oz on his wages....if youre going to live here best look for work in Asia away from the tax man....then your at least a better chance of saving some $$ (about 70K a year on tax alone in my case).

Where you want to live depends on what you want to do...eg ocean, sports/fitness clubs. schools, proximitiy to restuaraunts, or whether you like having no neighbours and being away from everyone.

Off topic: Im actually Hinakos, my prifile etc got deleted with the format change. Im now Matto for some reason, with new login and all....how do i change back to Hinakos? And why the $%@#$%@# did the forum call me Matto???? Strange....

Hi Matto/ Hinakos :)

Initially I am wanting to live in an area with a good expat community. I have heard Sanur is good for this. As I will have 2 kids on my own for most of the time so I will need as much supprt as possible. Yes the Tax Man hurts!! However, with us taking in to account the Taxof Hubby's job , travelling expenses to and from Bali, storage, Livig expenses in Bali at approx $20,000AUD including rent at $8,000AUD we can still save as opposed to living in Perth,where we would be in more debt. So still seems like a good option at the moment. Can I ask what sort of work you are doing in Indonesia, and what the tax system in like in Indo?

Charli

I live in Perth at the moment and find that a few people have decided to move to Bali for good.

Btw air Asia doesn't realy fly from Perth to Bali the main ones are v blue jet star qantas and garuda

Air Asia does REALLY fly

Btw air Asia doesn't realy fly from Perth to Bali the main ones are v blue jet star qantas and garuda

What do you mean they don't REALLY fly? They have 2 flights a day between Perth and Denpasar - have very competitive fares on new planes. I choose them before JetStar or Pacific Blue if I have the option.

And you say Qantas - there are no longer Qantas flights into Bali - they are all Jetstar

i work for an oil company. tax is paid by my employer (at least he says it is). tax, there isnt much of that here, thats why the the roads, the hospitals, the electricity and water systems, rubbish collection, education etc are all in serious dis-array.

my plan is to be here for another few years tax free earning good $$ and enjoying life, then return home and enjoy all these things like basic infrastructure :) (once ive banked that money that otherwise would have been taxed).

better hurry though, governments worldwide are beginning to co-operate and close the tax loopholes.

Hi Charli

Sanur is lovely and quieter than the West side.

I live in Seminyak on the western side which is nice also.

In both areas, making friends with expats depends on how outgoing you are etc. I amagine that with your kids in school, you'll meet people that way.

I agree with a previous poster that you should come over first and maybe stay in short toerm accomm for one month on the Sanur Side and 1 month on the Seminyak side while you house hunt in both areas.

They are really quiet different in feel and atmosphere from each othe,r and its a very personal thing as far as preferences go.

Definitely as you will be alone for periods of time, the south, ie Sanur or Seminyak are the way to go

N

Hi Charli,were looking at doing the same thing,just wondering if you have got much info?my hubby does fi/fo too

Hi Charli,were looking at doing the same thing,just wondering if you have got much info?my hubby does fi/fo too

Hey, I am due to have my second baby in May 2010 so I am just focusing on that for next few months. My hubby and I are going over at the end of the year to suss out where we will live in Bali. Then plan on making the move in Jan/Feb 2011. I have done a lot of research but on the internet only, so can't wait to research Bali itself. Where are you from? Does you hubby do 2 on 1 off? Do you have children? Why are you thinking Bali? :icon_biggrin:

Hey, I am due to have my second baby in May 2010 so I am just focusing on that for next few months. My hubby and I are going over at the end of the year to suss out where we will live in Bali. Then plan on making the move in Jan/Feb 2011. I have done a lot of research but on the internet only, so can't wait to research Bali itself. Where are you from? Does you hubby do 2 on 1 off? Do you have children? Why are you thinking Bali? :icon_biggrin:

Hiya,we live in Ellenbrook in WA.
I have a son Evan who is 4 1/4 and a daughter Rani who is 9 months.
Hubby does a 9/5 roster.
We got married in bali 6 yrs ago and have been a few times a yr since then,i guess it feels more like home!Im going in a couple of weeks home im hoping to have a look around then.
Where are you from?

Back