setting up & running a guesthouse

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Hey Goldminer,
Thanks for the pom explanation :),
I figured you were busy at work, I'm watching a documentary right now on National Geographic about Tau Tona - City of Gold...amazing how they excavate there.
Sorry to all the other members me going off topic.. again :oops: , but if I do not know something and am interested in the topic, i ask. So here's my question...is there now (present time) any ties between England and Australia? Ties as in, not only a part of the flag, but in Laws, financial ties etcetc.?
Thanks in forehand for any answers.
Friendly greetings........Gilbert.

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
well Gilbert, i am no lawyer or expert, but the way i see it, we (aussie) are part of the commonwealth of nations, the queen (elizabeth) is our queen. A few years ago, we used the "god save the queen " as our national anthem, but now have our own :) mmm apart from that, dont think there are any legal ties... perhaps Jimbo (being a pom :) ) can help us there.
I do know it is very hard for aussies to get work in UK but they seem to come in droves to aussie and work at will :roll:
BTW, will probably be up your way in a few weeks, always like to spend some time around Lovina , Singaraja when in Bali.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I do know it is very hard for aussies to get work in UK but they seem to come in droves to aussie and work at will

As far back as I can remember there have always been heaps of Aussies working in London bars and clubs. I doubt you would go into a bar in London that didnt have at least one aussie barmaid/man.

Anton

Dec 27, 2008
Gil wrote
So here's my question...is there now (present time) any ties between England and Australia? Ties as in, not only a part of the flag, but in Laws, financial ties etcetc.?

Well gil Australia's system of government is mirrored on the westminster system and of course like the USA there are laws which exist within there institutions that owe there origins to westminister,the UK is a very big financial investor in Australia and generally this all works extremely well though as has happened before if a sitting government starts behaving in an eratic manner the great queen can boot them out " and may well i say god save the queen " . :mrgreen:

Nantiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

aquaman

Apr 6, 2009
gilbert de jong said:
Hey Goldminer,
So here's my question...is there now (present time) any ties between England and Australia?

Gilbert, we are way off topic so apologies to everyone but in answer to you question...it's too complicated to discuss here :lol: But in short and I'm no legal expert I'll just say there are some legal ties through our constitution and through Oz (a former colony of England) being part of the Commonwealth. Our legal system is based on England's and differes to the US style. Sorry cant think of the fancy terms to use. I think our legislative laws (Acts of Parliament) are still signed off by a Queen's representative. But mostly our ties now are historic and ceremonial. However the Queens representative in Oz, the Governor General, does and has used his power to fire the Prime Minister in certain extreme circumstances. The only Prime Minister to be fired famously quoted "well may we say God save the Queen because nothing will save the Governor General".

Political questions give me a headache and make me feel dirty :lol:

aquaman

Apr 6, 2009
mimpimanis said:
I do know it is very hard for aussies to get work in UK but they seem to come in droves to aussie and work at will

As far back as I can remember there have always been heaps of Aussies working in London bars and clubs. I doubt you would go into a bar in London that didnt have at least one aussie barmaid/man.

There still are but it is not as easy as it used to be the laws have been tightened.

Anton

Dec 27, 2008
Maybe if Bali and indeed the whole of Indonesia had the westminster system and a foreign head of state being neutral then just maybe you would see a much more progressive nation :idea:

Then setting up & running a guesthouse with all its redtape and sovreign risk would be more appealing ?

Nantiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I dont know about employment laws but I do know my brother rents out accommodation and it is still aussies and south afrians that take a contract for a two people in a one bedroom flat and sublet 10 freinds :lol: :shock:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
:D , just like you jimbo, Anton likes to make jokes sometimes :wink: .
Aaaaah, I have said before somewhere on this forum, if Indonesia would still be Dutch, probably alot of things would be better for the Indonesian people. However if so, I wouldn't have moved here :lol: . I like the 'red-tape' here on Bali.
Btw, no guillotine here in Indonesia, but an good old firing squad...wonder if one gets a last cigarette before they shoot? Just joking....
friendly greetings, Gilbert.

Anton

Dec 27, 2008
Gil wrote
if Indonesia would still be Dutch, probably alot of things would be better for the Indonesian people

Hmm ! Some how i dont think the average indonesian could get used to wearing cloggs :!:

Nantiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
IMO The dutch did little good for Indonesia. They were here to make money not to help the Indonesians.The brief sojourn the British were in charge did advance the Indonesians and laid the groundwork for much of the systems in place today.

Bert may disagree :D