balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Indonesian authorities are considering revoking Schapelle Corby’s parole after Channel 7’s television program on her release, which featured Corby’s first moments out of Kerobokan prison and an interview with her sister, Mercedes.

Justice minister Amir Syamsuddin told reporters in Jakarta he was waiting for a report from the Bali corrections board, however “in the meantime I’d like to announce that there’s a possibility I will revoke Corby’s parole”.

Amir is likely to make the decision on whether she will be sent back to prison within days, Fairfax reports.

Corby had been in Kerobokan prison in Bali for almost nine years after being convicted of smuggling 4.2kg of cannabis into Bali. She was released on 7 February but under parole conditions she cannot return to Australia until 2017.

The Indonesian government had warned against Corby doing any interviews after her release. Corby’s family lobbied without success to have the ban overturned.

Instead, Sunday Night journalist Mike Willessee interviewed Mercedes Corby, who continued to assert her sister’s innocence. Mercedes suggested the marijuana found in Corby’s boogie board bag was “something to do with someone who worked in the airports” or could have come from Indonesia.

Schapelle Corby could be sent back to jail, says Indonesian justice minister | World news | theguardian.com

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Indonesian authorities are considering revoking Schapelle Corby’s parole after Channel 7’s television program on her release, which featured Corby’s first moments out of Kerobokan prison and an interview with her sister, Mercedes.

Justice minister Amir Syamsuddin told reporters in Jakarta he was waiting for a report from the Bali corrections board, however “in the meantime I’d like to announce that there’s a possibility I will revoke Corby’s parole”.

Amir is likely to make the decision on whether she will be sent back to prison within days, Fairfax reports.

Corby had been in Kerobokan prison in Bali for almost nine years after being convicted of smuggling 4.2kg of cannabis into Bali. She was released on 7 February but under parole conditions she cannot return to Australia until 2017.

The Indonesian government had warned against Corby doing any interviews after her release. Corby’s family lobbied without success to have the ban overturned.

Instead, Sunday Night journalist Mike Willessee interviewed Mercedes Corby, who continued to assert her sister’s innocence. Mercedes suggested the marijuana found in Corby’s boogie board bag was “something to do with someone who worked in the airports” or could have come from Indonesia.

Schapelle Corby could be sent back to jail, says Indonesian justice minister | World news | theguardian.com

Oh so predictable innit?

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
I actually feel bad for Schapelle for this. They should chuck her sister in Jail. She is the one who insulted Indonesia by claiming Schapelle is innocent and Insulted their intelligence by claiming it was a free interview. They are not stupid.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Rangi stick to rabbits - I'm sure the whole family, including Shapelle, new about this and planned it while she was still in the slammer.

But what do I know?

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Rangi stick to rabbits -

tumblr_mvtlve3SFv1qbgggqo1_250.gif

Gozer

Jul 1, 2013
Denpasar, Bali
We have talked a lot about this at my house and I have come to the decision that it was all planned. They want to make sure they don't lose media interest because they want that money for the interviews. By sending the sister to talk she is able to say "You didn't say she couldn't talk to people." If that is the case well she deserves to be thrown back in. Her time in prison couldn't have been too bad if she is willing to press the envelope like this. However, if her sister did it all independently, which I doubt, then yes it is her who deserves the punishment.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
It is stated, by a member of Parliament and Human-Rights that Indonesia is a 'Land of Laws'...and, because of the interview, the impression NOW is that Indonesian Law is for sale....therefore, she MUST be returned to jail!!!

Maybe we should ask the rabbit what he thinks!:icon_e_surprised:

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Leave her be to have a puff.....let the smoke clear and all will be fine in the mornin

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
I only wish she was actually in for the 20 years she was sentenced to and then we wouldn't be having this discussion. She was where drug dealers belong.

Nakal

Nov 9, 2006
Anywhere
I only wish she was actually in for the 20 years she was sentenced to and then we wouldn't be having this discussion. She was where drug dealers belong.

I really don't understand why convicted criminals are able to get an earlier release because of good behaviour...
If they behaved like they should have done, they would never have ended up in prison.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I really don't understand why convicted criminals are able to get an earlier release because of good behaviour...
If they behaved like they should have done, they would never have ended up in prison.

Because a prison can only be run with the agreement of the inmates. Therefore you need a carrot to go with the stick.

Adam I've got you so well trained you anticipate my answers to your idiotic statements, saving me the trouble :icon_wink:

SquarePeg

Jan 29, 2012
Sanur
A key purpose of prison is rehabilitation, not revenge, or torture for the pleasure of the self righteous who have of course never done anything wrong.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
nor for having a little bit of weekend weed....20 years....my great great great great grandad only got 7 years in Tassie for a pound of butter and a slice or 3 of pork.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
A key purpose of prison is rehabilitation, not revenge, or torture for the pleasure of the self righteous who have of course never done anything wrong.

An interesting and profound observation beyond the scope of so many of the tyrannical intellectuals posting here.

It may also be of interest that yesterday, the MK (Supreme Court of RI) made a ruling that permits anyone, forever, to challenge a lower court decision. Of course this is in the domain of the fffng corruption here, but it also emphasises squarepegs point....never does NOT mean forever. New information and new technology consistantly change court's ruling on guilt...and human beings consistantly have remorse and subsequently do good.

Locking people up for 20 years and throwing away the key achieves very little. Did she steal, murder, blow anything up, commit treason, change a Gov't, assasinate a corrupt senator, commit a lesbian act in a mosque...or God forbid....be mean to Markit?
No...she was committed for 20 years for bringing to Bali 4.2K of marijuana...Hell I've seen a guy carry more than that down the street in Vancouver...and nobody died; but he did suffer a hernia!

Last edited:

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
The main purpose of prison however is punishment and in particular a punishment that is likely to act as a discouragement to the majority of individuals such that all bar the hardest (stupidest?) of individuals (ie the genuine bad eggs) think twice before doing something that has been outlawed. Indonesia is harsh on drugs and so are their punishments accordingly. I applaud that as they have enough problems to deal with already and I doubt anyone can provide an example where narcotics bring any positive benefits to a community.

I don't think anybody gets pleasure out of seeing somebody in jail. I think most would prefer if people refrained from activities that got them there in the first place. 4.2 kilos of weed is hardly a weekend spliff.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
The main purpose of prison however is punishment and in particular a punishment that is likely to act as a discouragement to the majority of individuals such that all bar the hardest (stupidest?) of individuals (ie the genuine bad eggs) think twice before doing something that has been outlawed. Indonesia is harsh on drugs and so are their punishments accordingly. I applaud that as they have enough problems to deal with already and I doubt anyone can provide an example where narcotics bring any positive benefits to a community.

I don't think anybody gets pleasure out of seeing somebody in jail. I think most would prefer if people refrained from activities that got them there in the first place. 4.2 kilos of weed is hardly a weekend spliff.

Is the WA education system where you get history lessons Adam?

Since the Roman Empire....and the Collisseum, have we not learnt any lesson? How many have been discouraged since then...?
Drug activity is a major societal problem for this generation...I don't deny and I have not even smoked one cigarette...but how to deal with it?
According to you...lock em all up. Well, Adam...better look into USA statistics and find TOTAL failure in this approach.

Also, I quote you..."I doubt anyone can provide an example where narcotics bring any positive benefits to a community."
read your own history here...

Opium Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drug activity in China was involved in the creation of the British Empire which, whether you like to accept or not, was fundemental in Australia becoming a 'lucky' country, and as prosperous as it is today.

Last edited:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
punishment is not the main purpose of prison. It's just a place where people are being stored till they can rejoin society, be it after having been in prison for the full length of a given sentence or at an earlier moment if the prisoner has shown to be able to be part of society again.

a lot of narcotics started out as medicines, as for weed : it was a medicinal herb, then a drug, and now it's "status" is slowly going back to medicinal herb.