Zep66

Feb 27, 2014
Planing ahead on our eventual repatriation back to Melbourne Australia.

We recently moved house and to our shock an horror managed to accumulate an extra three suitcases full of stuff.
Surprising as we thought that one think we learnt living in Bali over the past two years was living minimalistically, but I guess after collecting a few toys for our daughter, the odd books an momentos from our travels and now I have a bunch off stuff that needs to follow us back.

Anyway - anyone have a experience in moving excess luggage back?
Not in a hurry to get it home, but any advice welcome.

Zep66

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
If its only 3 suitcases, pay for the extra baggage weight when you are booking your tickets and take it with you. But DO NOT wait till you get to the airport, find you are over allowance, then face very high charges.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
it's 3 EXTRA suitcases ron ;) I guess they have already at least 1 each and that's quite a handful. Travelled with 6 suitcases myself last year, never again! that scary moment when a 30 kg suitcase slide down the escalator and hit people :icon_eek:

I sent my stuff (ok 10 years ago) with a ship, cheaper than air freight, took 2 months...

Zep66

Feb 27, 2014
Thanks for the replies,

Costed taking the max allowance on my flight home and its most economical - but think I need to send my suitcases ahead as we want to make a side trip (Japan) on our way home and cant take all that luggage with us.

A friend mentioned using the post office - 2 months arrival time (which I don't mind) and Ill go have a chat with them today.
Personally - I rather just give it all away!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Personally - I rather just give it all away!

There you go! What a good idea - there are lots and lots of needy families here that can take anything you have and really appreciate it. My/our standard blurb to all visiting friends and family:

"[FONT=&quot]If you do happen to have any empty space in your luggage might we suggest you fill it up with things that we in the west tend to throw away such as: old reading glasses (some of our friends have come onto a new twist and have asked at their local optometrist for the many glasses that they just throw away! ), old clothes, children's games (preferably wood as paper doesn't last long in our tropical climate), writing books (A5, A4), pens and pencils or coloring pens/crayons. [/FONT]"

Feel free to copy and send to your upcoming guests and if you don't know what to do with the booty then contact me or no.idea (for drop off in Sanur). Cheese should not be forgotten!