Rabies, how serious is this in real life on Bali?

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
bambang,

Why wait up to 3 days? Of course, it goes without saying that one should get the treatment ASAP. But it could happen that it wouldn't be possible for different reasons.

You obviously are not aware that just recently, in Bali, Denpasar to be precise, many people seeking treatment after being bitten were turned away by the hospitals, because the hospitals had not yet received the anti-rabies vaccine from Jakarta. In that case, no reason to panic: fly to Jakata or Singapore and get treated, and that when the 3-days reprieve , so to speak, comes in handy (no understatement).

And what if you got bitten while traveling in the middle of nowhere? I would bet that the local witch doctor does not carry a supply of the vaccine.

Elementary, my Dear Watson. :lol:

bambang

Jan 4, 2009
many people seeking treatment after being bitten were turned away by the hospitals, because the hospitals had not yet received the anti-rabies vaccine from Jakarta
Not to worry I called BIMC and they assured me they have always had rabies vaccine available.

They couldn't remember the last time they administered it though. :roll:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
[attachment=0:3br08unl]rabies in newspaper.jpg[/attachment:3br08unl]

Oh and for those interested...my doggie is still hanging in there, received a pic yesterday..skin and bones (sort of speak) but face/eyes looking strong, nose wet, and started to drink and eat a little..Still not sure he will make it, but it's looking promssing said the doc

Attachments

• rabies in newspaper.jpg
    rabies in newspaper.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 67

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
This is the least you can do,G, if you care enough for us... :wink:
WIshing the best for the doggie..

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
holy cr*p translation....hmmm well I'll cut it down to the basics ok :) ....

there's been a distrubution of Var (the vaccine) to all the regions and city's of Bali..it's prohibited to do business or re-sell these vaccines..
10 Milliard rupiah has been reserved/put aside to build Rabies centers and to administer the vaccine free of charge to anyone who would need it.
although it's free of charge, the distribution and administering of the vaccine faces some trouble since there's only 1 company who's qualified to do so, that's PT. Tempo.
This company doesn't want to distribute large amount of the Var, because of the way the vaccine should be stored (temperature is an issue) so no vaccine will be waisted.
Rabies in Bali has spread to 6 areass, namely the city Denpasar, Kabupaten Badung,Tabanan, Gianyar, Bangli and Karangasem.
There are 14.264 cases of dogs biting people, and 15 deaths.

Well couldn't narrow it down to less words so it's pretty close to a literal translation of the text :lol: .

friendly greetings, Gilbert.

ps; thanks MiSo for the wishes.

JUDY

May 11, 2007
seattle wa campuhan bali
My dogs or I should say my families dogs did not all die at once. First Doggie, then Magic, and lastly my favorite Lucky. Apparently, the family said someone poisoned them. I know how Magic died; by a neighbor giving him chicken necks. Same thing with Lucky. :cry: I guess their are crazy people everywhere :evil:
The entire ordeal was very upseting. :cry: :cry: I worry when I go back home about getting another dog due to what occured. I only hope the government and the people of Bali vaccinate their animals!! Like I said I love animals and it really upsets me to see them neglected and abused. Disgusting!!!

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I know how Magic died; by a neighbor giving him chicken necks.

I am curious as to how this would kill your dogs? My dogs in Lombok have been eating chicken necks for years with no problem. I know you aren't meant to give chicken bones to dogs but with so many to feed we do cook up all the cut offs from the chickens for them and serve them with rice.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Apparently, if chicken bones are raw, they do not splinter as they do when they're cooked. However, you should never feed your dogs or cats cooked chicken bones.

pPamela

Nov 5, 2002
Hello Everyone,
I would like to enter the Rabies debate.

Firstly rabies KILLS and once you have contracted rabies the chances of you surviving are very very slim.
Only 3 people in the world have ever survived rabies.
The first was a young woman from either Canada or America who was bitten on the head by a bat and had no idea she had contracted rabies from the bat. And she only survived because the doctors thought outside the square and adopted a different principle in an attempt to cure her. However, subsequent rabies victims did not respond the same principle and died.
She was featured on a television programme called Medical Miracles I saw here in Australia.Since her survival I have been told by the doctors at the Travel Doctor Centre here in Sydney where I am currently having my injections ( last one tomorrow Dec 2nd) two more people have survived so that is only 3 people in the world who have survived Rabies.
Please note this bambang.
Here is a recent post on Trip Advisor where I contributed my recent experience of being bitten by a dog in Bali ( my own silly fault- not the dog's) and finding out that the island does not have the very important Immuno globin to activate the vaccine.
Everyone travelling to Bali should be aware of this situation. And while it is available in Singapore, Sydney and so on, there is in fact a world wide shortage of this medicine.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k3227631-l22951052-Rabies-Bali.html
Hoping my post will clear up some of the very inaccurate information being discussed here.
Pamela.

pPamela

Nov 5, 2002
Hi Again,

As of 3rd November BIMC or anywhere else in Bali DID NOT have the Immuno globin necessary to activate the rabies vaccine.
I was very lucky that I only had two days left of my holiday before returning to Sydney so I was within the 7 day period to receive the Immuno globin.
If it had been at the beginning of my holiday I would have had to return to Australia because it would have been too dangerous to have taken the risk all would be ok.
Pamela.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Hi pPamela,

I was not aware of any confusion regarding the postexposure rabies treatment. Actually, your post brought a little bit of confusion regarding the shots. Rabies immunoglobulin gives an immediate, short-term protection: it does not activate the rabies vaccine. It should be used together with the rabies vaccine. Rabies immunoglobulin can be administered through the seventh day after the first dose of vaccine is given. Beyond the seventh day, Rabies immunoglobulin is not recommended since an antibody response to the cell culture vaccine is presumed to already have occurred.

So, I have the following question:

Q. Did you get started on the series of rabies vaccine in Bali? According to the protocol, one has three days following the bite to do so.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
@pamela....
have you read my post with the article???
and as for inaccurate information...you just added to the confusing by including immuno globin into the proces :lol: . FYI, the globin is just protein and injecting it does nothing else then elevating the antibodies in your blood a bit faster, it has nothing to do with activating the VAR vaccine. So your statement that it's necessary is just wrong.
Take care, and goodluck tomorrow at the doctor getting your last shot.

udayana

Nov 21, 2009
Firstly rabies KILLS and once you have contracted rabies the chances of you surviving are very very slim.
Only 3 people in the world have ever survived rabies.

That is false. You make the same mistake as another poster. Rabies is almost certainly fatal once symptoms become apparent which is normally 2-10 weeks after infection. Many people have contracted rabies and survived. Survival is almost certain if appropriate treatment is received in the first 1-2 weeks after contracting the virus.

pPamela

Nov 5, 2002
Hi,
To the two detractors on both my comments made by me were discussed with qualified medical doctors here in Australia so I rest my case.
Pamela

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
pPamela,

Not to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but you made TWO statements.

1)
Rabies KILLS and once you have contracted rabies the chances of you surviving are very very slim.

I, as a "detractor," agrees 100% with that statement, and I don't need a doctor to tell me so, as it has been a well known facts for millennia.

2)
… Immuno globin (sic) to activate the (rabies) vaccine.

However, I seriously doubt that any knowledgeable doctor would have told you such a thing (and this is the point raised by your two "detractors'). The protocol for the post-immunization against rabies calls, for a person not previously immunized for rabies, to undergo 4 doses of vaccine given on days 0, 3, 7, and 14. The human rabies immune globulin (HRIG) only gives a rapid, but passive immune protection, and has certainly NOTHING to do with "activating" the vaccine. So it is very important to be able to get this HRIG shot as early as possible after being bitten, but since the rabies vaccine induces a active immune response that requires 7 to 10 days to develop, the HRIG is useless after roughly the seventh day after one have received the first rabies vaccine injection (getting a second HRIG injection in the mean time would actually be most detrimental to the patient).

Furthermore, if one waits more than 3 days before getting the first vaccine shot, it means "good bye," since the immunization will be effective after the rabies viruses have taken hold of one's system. :(

And therefore, I still ask you: How long after you got bitten by the dog did you get your first rabies vaccine (When was Day 0)?

udayana

Nov 21, 2009
tintin said:
pPamela,

Not to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but you made TWO statements.

1)
Rabies KILLS and once you have contracted rabies the chances of you surviving are very very slim.

I, as a "detractor," agrees 100% with that statement, and I don't need a doctor to tell me so, as it has been a well known facts for millennia.

2) [quote:2rq032hg]… Immuno globin (sic) to activate the (rabies) vaccine.
[/quote:2rq032hg]

The above is only correct if you change "contracting rabies" to "contracting symptomatic rabies". Otherwise the current treatment is almost 100% effective even after infection.