Rabies, how serious is this in real life on Bali?

udayana

Nov 21, 2009
tintin said:
Furthermore, if one waits more than 3 days before getting the first vaccine shot, it means "good bye," since the immunization will be effective after the rabies viruses have taken hold of one's system.

That is also false. The average time for a person to become symptomatic is four weeks and can even be years later. The prognosis for a person that starts treatment before symptoms appear is excellent.

Of course the sensible thing to do is seek treatment immediately.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
In his both last posts, udayana is correct.

1) The first statement is obviously correct. It is usually understood that when one speaks of "contracting rabies," one actually means "showing the symptoms of rabies." Obviously, if one is bitten by a rabied animal, one HAS contracted rabies. However, the treatment will take care of the virus with, as far as we know, 100% success.

2) Regarding,

The average time for a person to become symptomatic is four weeks and can even be years later

That is not entirely correct for several reasons, and udayan's recommendation to seek treatment ASAP is certainly right.

The unset of the rabies symptoms is very much dependent on WHERE the bite took place. Following the injection of the virus through a bite, the viruses slowly migrate to the brain of the bitten animal or human. Once in the brain, they reproduce extremely fast, and migrate to the salivary glands. This is when the animal or human IS contagious. Before that time, the animal or human is only a carrier, but cannot infect other beings through a bite of its/his/her own. Once the symptoms appear, it is just a question of four or five days to reach the end of the road.

The most dangerous bites are in or near the face and neck. In the hands, where they often occur, I was told by my treating doctor (and following my own research) that the viruses progress also very fast. So, the protocol calls for the beginning of the treatment to start within 3 days, since it will take about 7 to 10 days for the vaccine to start becoming effective (on that account, my "good bye" may have been a little too affirmative).

I don't know about the life of the virus in a host. In a small domestic animal (dog, cat), the protocol is too put the animal under observation for 5 months, which is roughly the time it would have taken for the viruses to reach its brain, if it had been bitten in its tail. Again, the animal is not contagious during that time, but only at the end, when it becomes symptomatic.

Finally, when an animal bits you and you suspect that it is rabied, the protocol is to put the animal in quarantine for 10 days (there is a large safety margin of about X2), while starting with the series of shots. If during that time the animal does not show any symptoms, you are OK and you can stop your treatment of shots. But in practice, if you have turned the animal to the authorities, most of the time it will be euthanized so that its brain can be tested for the disease (the authorities usually do not want to waste time and money with keeping the animal in quarantine). Then you get the good and the bad news: the animal was not rabied, but it is now dead... :roll:

So, this is my input to the subject. Further discussion of this subject is surely a propos, given the present situation in Bali.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Addendum to my preceding post

Sorry, for whatever reason, I wrote

That is not entirely correct for several reasons

Please, disregard this statement: this is not what I had meant to say, as udayana could be correct regarding an incubation period of years in human (I should review what I write first, before pushing the "Submit" button) :)

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
tintin said:
... (I should review what I write first, before pushing the "Submit" button) :)

I know..it's a dangerous button, everything you submit will exist forever, and the editing time is limited... :wink:

I see many dogs in Ubud streets...it's not always possible to avoid them... brrrr...

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Another death from rabies:

Death toll has reached 17 after a resident died Saturday from an alleged case of rabies in Tabanan, Bali.

Tempointeraktif.com reported that 46-year-old I Gusti Ngurah Sudiharta was buried on Sunday after he was suspected to have suffered from rabies since Thursday. He was bitten by a dog in August but did not have the anti-rabies vaccine injection afterwards because it was not available in Tabanan at that time.

He was rushed to the Tabanan Regional Public Hospital but it was too late to save his life. To confirm the cause of death, the hospital sent a saliva sample to the Udayana Laboratory.

Sumiartha, health agency chief in Tabanan, said the regency had been declared an epidemic area after Badung and Denpasar.

“We named Tabanan as the next epidemic area late August. That’s why we obtained the anti-rabies vaccine on August 25,” Sumiartha said.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009 ... demic.html

noodles

Apr 27, 2009
Unhappy in Singapore
An Unlucky Day for Noodles

An Unlucky Day for Noodles

Today afternoon on the way home, when I was sitting on a motobike and waiting traffic light on Jl.Legian which one close BNI Bank, I was bitten by a local dog... :cry: :cry: :cry:

The local baliness dog(black and white spotted)quickly emerged from the shadows to bit my left crus, I feel a pain, so would immediately launch a motobike to run, it terrifies me!!! When I arvd home find a portion of the skin of my left crus deepened into amethyst, then I had to go to BIMC see doctor, doctor said that luckly no blood oozing and swelling, they clean up the woundthen and give me four doses Rabies vaccination, 2doses hypodermic injection today, the rest will be done in next 3 weeks :wink:

It is strange that no tetanus immunoglobulin stock in BIMC, I will be transfer to S.O.S intl hospital if I need to, finally I refused.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Well noodles, talking about bad luck, this surely qualifies as such. :cry:

Asides from not understanding what you mean by "…a portion of the skin of my left crus deepened into amethyst," why did the doctor at BIMC said "lucky no blood oozing?"

Lucky for what? You still got the shots, the first one being a rabies immunoglobulin and the second one an anti-rabies vaccine. May I ask how much they charged you for these two shots?

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
The dog just came up and bit you? Like you were just sitting there at the light and the dog picked you out of everyone else and decided to bite you. You must smell good or something. At least you got to the hospital in time. Oh, and I too would like to know what a cus is and how it can deepen to amethyst.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
noodles said:
find a portion of the skin of my left crus deepened into amethyst,
I think with the 'amethyst' part she means 'blue-ish purple'...so the dog didn't bite through the skin but crushed some blood-vessels beneath it (no blood oozing). the ' crus' part I would like to know too, but I guess it's somewhere between the ankle and knee?

noodles

Apr 27, 2009
Unhappy in Singapore
@Mini, Thanks for your concern!

@Tintin, as per doctor said that my wound cannt touch water one week at least if my leg skin is caught to defeated and bleed, How can I endure no shower one week? At least they thought Im lucky than other patient who struck by dog. I paid almost RP 1million for consultation+2shots rabies vaccination, No idea for coming 2shots in next 3weeks.

@Calitobali, you know all this happened in the blink of an eye thing is so, the dog appeared from nowhere when I waited for stoplight, I was dreadfully frighted :(

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
the calf?

As for how much you paid. The rabies shots are meant to be free I thought. And Pamela said she only paid for the consultation - not for the actual shots themselves. So I would check this when you go back for the rest.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
am I good or what :lol: .
about the shower...you can take a big plastic bag, step into it with the brused leg then with wide-tape you close the top around your leg (below the knee) should be watertight :wink: . Oh, dont forget to shave first (if necesary) before putting the tape on there.. :)
take care and wish you well,
gilbert.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Or you could just have a wash - Just use a bowl of water and flannel to soap down and rinse the rest of you, leaving the leg. My leg was in a cast for 6 weeks and this is what I had to do. I did buy the cast cover to enable me to have a bath (no shower where I was staying) but it was so difficult for me to get in & out of the bath with the cast that I only made it a weekly event :lol:

noodles

Apr 27, 2009
Unhappy in Singapore
@Mini, yes, the rabies shot is free in my home country's hosptial. but here... :wink: as per the nurse advised that BIMC use import rabies vaccination, because there're no vaccine product made in Indonesia. Abt ur friend, maybe he/she is KITAS holder, but Im not. So that's why I paid more higher than them. The rabies vaccination has been to protected me five years, then in other words, only cost RP17,000 per month in next 5years even protected me from other dog struck. The price isnt too bad, right?!

Thanks for ur info abt "dry-clean" bath, Im not sure that I can to do that... :oops:

gilbert de jong said:
about the shower...you can take a big plastic bag, step into it with the brused leg then with wide-tape you close the top around your leg (below the knee) should be watertight.Oh, dont forget to shave first (if necesary) before putting the tape on there.

That you know it well, Thank you Sister :lol:

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
G SIS, this is a bad bad biting situation! Why God(s), why this innocent girl on her even more innocent motorbike? You have my deepest empathy.

As for the shower: ly flat on the bathroom floor under the shower so that the water reaches from your head until the knee. After 5 minutes turn around to do the backside.

gilbert de jong said:
am I good or what :lol: .
about the shower...you can take a big plastic bag, step into it with the brused leg then with wide-tape you close the top around your leg (below the knee) should be watertight :wink: . Oh, dont forget to shave first (if necesary) before putting the tape on there.. :)
take care and wish you well,
gilbert.

Pfffff...like we have hair there... 8)