Post your breakfast, lunch or dinner

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
The climate being similar to Mexico's the veg are too so, being a Mexican loving kinda guy (noticed that the women here look a little Mex too?) I try to eat Mex a couple of times a month (food).

For those that share my love there's a company making excellent corn tortillas in Renon. Flour torts are available almost everywhere now. Problem is the avocados - they are so chancy sometimes excellent, often not.
That's great about flour tortilla's being available. Yea you're right about the avocados, the big fat ones are watery, with little flavor! I suggest someone bring over the Hass variety from California! They are full of fat, and flavor! Also the Strawberry papaya's from Hawaii. I think here, they call them California papaya's. Red flesh on the inside. Also I like the small bananas, with the lemony flavor they have in Hawaii too.
It seems here the good quality fruit goes to the big supermarkets first? Maybe they pay more? Such as the Harum Manis Mango!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
That's great about flour tortilla's being available. Yea you're right about the avocados, the big fat ones are watery, with little flavor! I suggest someone bring over the Hass variety from California! They are full of fat, and flavor! Also the Strawberry papaya's from Hawaii. I think here, they call them California papaya's. Red flesh on the inside. Also I like the small bananas, with the lemony flavor they have in Hawaii too.
It seems here the good quality fruit goes to the big supermarkets first? Maybe they pay more? Such as the Harum Manis Mango!
we get them all here in the Amlapura local market. I know the local markets down south never see a decent tomato, for instance, because all the good produce lands with the resorts and hotels.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I just wanted to point out that our froggy friend seems a bit limited in his dietary endeavors (always same old boring frog nosh!) and that some of us try to branch out a little more and bring a bit of variation in the day to day slog of getting enough calories to keep the pump working.

Today's offering was German - Currywurst mit pommes und gemischten salat. Local sausage with airfryer fries and dijon mustard (bon!) vinaigrette. All washed down with lashings of binny.

currywurst.jpg

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
looks great except the beer. how could you drink this ....? Is it it like "there's nothing else" or true love?

Dori

Jun 28, 2023
I will have to try harder to remember to take photos of our main meals. As it’s a foodie thread I thought we’d talk about the different meal times in the world. We live in Spain and breakfast time here is 10.00-10.30 am. Lunch is the biggest meal of the day, businesses close at 14.00 so we usually eat around 15.00 ish. Dinner is a smaller meal , for us personally in winter it’s 20.30 but in the summer 22.00 is the norm when it cools down a little bit.
How does that compare to other nations?

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Br
I will have to try harder to remember to take photos of our main meals. As it’s a foodie thread I thought we’d talk about the different meal times in the world. We live in Spain and breakfast time here is 10.00-10.30 am. Lunch is the biggest meal of the day, businesses close at 14.00 so we usually eat around 15.00 ish. Dinner is a smaller meal , for us personally in winter it’s 20.30 but in the summer 22.00 is the norm when it cools down a little bit.
How does that compare to other nations?
Pensioner's life in Bali :
Breakfast 06:00 am
Lunch at 12
Dinner at 06:30 pm (used to be 9 pm when I worked..)

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Blanquette of pork fillet, slowly cooked 1 1/2 hour, with broth, white wine, carrots, celery, leek, pancetta and a bouquet garni.
When the pork is cooked, set aside and start working on the sauce...Add the mushroom, 10 minutes, add cream, reduce, add mustard. When the sauce is done put back in the meat and cook 10 min more. All the cooking is done on very low fire.
From the "mise en place" to finish, this is a 3 hour job.
Served with fried baby potatoes or mashed potatoes.
This is the Missus plate, as it is never spicy enough for her, note the Harissa ....
IMG-20240613-WA0016_copy_768x1707.jpg

Washed down with 2 bottles of Italian Proseco (brother and me, one each)

Reactions: Shadrach

harryopal1

Jul 20, 2023
I don't drink beer with meals but prefer the Bintang lemon. I guess that sent a shudder down the spine of serious beer connoissuers

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Another boring French food....

Pancakes. Flour 190 gr, milk 400 ml, 3 egg, butter 35 gr, some sugar and salt.
Not to forget vanilla and rum !

IMG-20240617-WA0001_copy_1024x461.jpg

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
looks great except the beer. how could you drink this ....? Is it it like "there's nothing else" or true love?
Luckily for me I love binny.

Had beers all over the world and your "lager" is pretty similar whether in UK, US, Oz, Belgium (Stella), Germany or France and I love them all, but binny is roundly hated by many and I just say "good! More for me". Hell, I've even drunk American Coors, called "near-beer" by many.

If I could I'd rather have German - fall (herbst) beers like those from the Oktoberfest but oh, are they strong!

Reactions: sakumabali

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Blanquette of pork fillet, slowly cooked 1 1/2 hour, with broth, white wine, carrots, celery, leek, pancetta and a bouquet garni.
When the pork is cooked, set aside and start working on the sauce...Add the mushroom, 10 minutes, add cream, reduce, add mustard. When the sauce is done put back in the meat and cook 10 min more. All the cooking is done on very low fire.
From the "mise en place" to finish, this is a 3 hour job.
Served with fried baby potatoes or mashed potatoes.
This is the Missus plate, as it is never spicy enough for her, note the Harissa ....
View attachment 4118

Washed down with 2 bottles of Italian Proseco (brother and me, one each)
Nice of you to share the "happy" junction with us or are those your brother's thighs?

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Luckily for me I love binny.

Had beers all over the world and your "lager" is pretty similar whether in UK, US, Oz, Belgium (Stella), Germany or France and I love them all, but binny is roundly hated by many and I just say "good! More for me". Hell, I've even drunk American Coors, called "near-beer" by many.

If I could I'd rather have German - fall (herbst) beers like those from the Oktoberfest but oh, are they strong!
I live near the border triangle Germany / Belgium / Netherlands and can go to pubs - not too far - in 3 countries. They all have great to good beer and a huge selection. I used to drink Bintang 20 years ago. In the old days where it was the best of the bad beers available. Luckily those days are over. Island Brewing is a good balinese beer available in the south

Last edited:
Reactions: Markit and Shadrach

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It's been a while so I thought I'd throw this out there. Only buy local beef and that only the filet. Problem is that I have no way of telling if it's gonna be terrific or tough as boots so have had to make my response flexible - it the former, yum and steaks galore, if the latter then hamburgers on the horizon or chinese with baking soda.
Happy to say this was an absolute treat and cooked to perfection by yours truly; medium rare inside with nice char on the outside. Baked tates done in the airfryer (40 minutes) and a mixed salad.

Attachments

• lunch of champions.jpg
    lunch of champions.jpg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Shadrach and Dori

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
L
It's been a while so I thought I'd throw this out there. Only buy local beef and that only the filet. Problem is that I have no way of telling if it's gonna be terrific or tough as boots so have had to make my response flexible - it the former, yum and steaks galore, if the latter then hamburgers on the horizon or chinese with baking soda.
Happy to say this was an absolute treat and cooked to perfection by yours truly; medium rare inside with nice char on the outside. Baked tates done in the airfryer (40 minutes) and a mixed salad.

Looks yummy! I went to Grand Lucky supermarket, and was blown away at the vast selections there, of everything! I was also blown away at the cost for imported cuts of beef, and cheeses! Come on, paying over RP. 1 mil. For a piece of meat or a small piece of cheese is outrageous! I was impressed by the availability of such large haas avocados, harum manis mangos, hummus, just about everything! I did spend a lot of money though! It's a shame these products get so inflated in cost! Someone is really lining their pockets! Australia in not that far away actually, at todays standards. It seems I haven't had such luck, finding choice cuts of meat that are easy to chew. I end up making stew out the meat and cook it for hours to make it soft. I heard the baking soda technique give the meat a strange flavor. Is this true? I hope to see more post of peoples meals and food stories!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
cut the beef in question thinly (maybe half freeze it first) then add about a tsp full baking soda to the cut meat and swish it around to mix. Leave if for about half/hour then I wash it off again but many don't. I usually make a chinese or a curry with the end product so the actual flavor of the meet is unknown.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Lo
Was ages since my usual French place had mussels !
View attachment 4127

The Miss had the Coq au vin.

This week's menu
looks so delicious, french fries though seem like an unusual combination. I would think something like red rice, or at least cook the potatoes some way more fancy! Like baked baby potatoes cut in half, with rosemary and served with butter, and a cream sauce.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
And 2 weeks ago in another French place (now defunct) we had with a friend a superb cheese and charcuterie platter.

Served with proper bread !

20240724_115845_copy_1024x813.jpg