Post your breakfast, lunch or dinner

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I think we could do with a food thread ? Most forums have one, and I can't believe BM on here thrive only on Bintang ?

Post pics of what you cook, or of your restaurants outings, recommendations etc...

Local food, Western or other Asian, we'll even accept British breakfast with beans and milk in the tea.....

I'll post a few today of my recent meals, but I wouldn't want to be the only one feeding this thread, so some cooperation would ne nice....

Cheers.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Breakfast this morning, soft eggs and soldiers.... back to childhood !
20230921_060858_copy_1024x768.jpg

A few days ago, toasted baguette slices with garlic an herbs spread cheese.

20230918_054242_copy_1024x768.jpg

Lunches and dinners from the last days :

Chicken curry

IMG-20230917-WA0007.jpg

Escalope milanaise, marinara sauce, spaghetti "al oilio", bellpepper, chili. Supposed to be mushrooms in it but we ran out...
IMG-20230918-WA0004_copy_600x270.jpg

An omellette (emmental, ham, chives, mushrooms) with french fries. Note that for me an omelette must be a bit liquid, not the cardboard style thing they serve usually in Asia..

IMG-20230918-WA0006_copy_600x1333.jpg

IMG-20230918-WA0008_copy_600x1333.jpg

I have always enjoyed cooking and now I have plenty time.
90% of my food is French the rest Asian

It is a must for any person who lives / lived with me to cook Western food.

My actual companion (9 y together) has worked for 15 years as domestic helper in SGP and HKG, and knows her way around in a kitchen.
And has adapted to French food very fast.
She loves most of it, and can do about 50% of the recipes alone.
For the rest, the "chef" intervenes....

harryopal1

Jul 20, 2023
Given the ever increasing hazards involved with processed foods I never buy pre-prepared meals. I mostly eat at home and of late have been making curries with a few chillies, ubi, egg plant, spring onion, cauliflower, beans, bok choi and throw in garlic in the last few minutes. Can get a good Madras curry power and use coconut cream. I am no chef so usually make enough for several days. A useful standby is a rice cooker with rice and unpeeled, uncut washed potatoes or about three large chunks of unpeeled pumpkin. The potatoes or pumpkin cook just right as the rice cooking finishes and the pumpkin or potato gives the rice a bit of flavour. Lunch time I use a small electric oven making lunch for myself and wife with whole grain bread, butter, vegemite and a thick layer of the already cooked pumpkin. Slices of tomatoes across the top of that with a splash of a homemade chilli sauce. Put in the oven for about 5 minutes or thereabouts and then place slices of cheese over the heated food. A minute or two to melt the cheese and then a sprinkle of pepper. Eat plenty of fruit. I am not expecting requests for bookings.
1695282218060.png

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It may come as no surprise but I also am an excellent, but opinionated chef and cook to my own delight daily. As stated above I now have to time to indulge my passion and make the lives of my wife of 40 years, various ladies of the market and my pembantu miserable with my exacting demands for quality, insistence that everything is tried and cleaning of dishes with hot, hot water and slightly less than a full bottle of washing up liquid per wash.

Having cooked for 40 + years I would like to start out by saying I have bought in the last 3 months the single most important cooking apparatus I have ever seen or used and will immediately recommend it to all who eat - an air fryer!

If you don't have one drop everything you think is important and run, don't walk, run and buy one. Send your praise to the usual spot.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I have bought in the last 3 months the single most important cooking apparatus I have ever seen or used and will immediately recommend it to all who eat - an air fryer!
Have one also, bought it in HKG when I lived there. Seldom used it there as the thing is rather bulky and the kitchen of my 640 sg ft flat was rather small.
I use it here mainly for French Fries and very occasionnally for fried fish.
Advantage : easy, fast, no "french fries oil" smell. Although there still is some smell with fried fish.

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
Breakfast this morning, soft eggs and soldiers.... back to childhood !
View attachment 3770

A few days ago, toasted baguette slices with garlic an herbs spread cheese.

View attachment 3771

Lunches and dinners from the last days :

Chicken curry

View attachment 3775

Escalope milanaise, marinara sauce, spaghetti "al oilio", bellpepper, chili. Supposed to be mushrooms in it but we ran out...
View attachment 3774

An omellette (emmental, ham, chives, mushrooms) with french fries. Note that for me an omelette must be a bit liquid, not the cardboard style thing they serve usually in Asia..

View attachment 3773

View attachment 3772

I have always enjoyed cooking and now I have plenty time.
90% of my food is French the rest Asian

It is a must for any person who lives / lived with me to cook Western food.

My actual companion (9 y together) has worked for 15 years as domestic helper in SGP and HKG, and knows her way around in a kitchen.
And has adapted to French food very fast.
She loves most of it, and can do about 50% of the recipes alone.
For the rest, the "chef" intervenes....
So when is
"La restaurant LeFrog" opening?
And can a make a booking for say , 6 months?

That's FOR 6 months, not in 6 months time...

Cheers
Culinary clueless
Ken

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
So when is
"La restaurant LeFrog" opening?
And can a make a booking for say , 6 months?

That's FOR 6 months, not in 6 months time...

Cheers
Culinary clueless
Ken
Had been thinking about it when retiring , but at the end I decided "feck it, let's just enjoy retirement ! "

A "food like at home" French place I can recommend in Sanur is PARISI, located on Batur Sari.
My regular hangout. Typical French home cuisine, without pretention and very decent prices. Not the usual tourist trap.
And the chef is French.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
i seldom eat rice more than twice a week, but yesterday was a lazy day...

Fried rice for lunch. Long green beans, long chilli, mixed vegetables (canned, French), bacon and a "ready mix" sauce. Of course an egg on top.
Screenshot_20230922-122131_Gallery_copy_1024x576.jpg

Evening was fried beef in oyster sauce (Thai orientated). Green beans, mushrooms, long chilli, hot chilli and the sauce made by the Miss.
IMG-20230921-WA0004_copy_1024x461.jpg

Today was pancakes for lunch.
100% home made, non of this ready mix powder in my kitchen.
Milk, eggs, flour, melted butter. A touch of vanilla and a some rum to give it a better taste.
20230922_111010_copy_1024x548.jpg

Topping choice : iced sugar, home made pineapple jam or honey.
IMG-20230922-WA0003_copy_768x576.jpg

I always prepare a bit more of mix so tomorrow morning breakfast will be pancakes also.

Dinner will be at my regular French place.
Missus is in Bali this month, so straight home after dinner...if alone it would be straight to some music bars !

Live could be worse !

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Yesterday lunch was club sandwich.
Quite a bit of work for what is in fact something rather blant and basic.
IMG-20230923-WA0000_copy_1024x768.jpg

IMG-20230923-WA0001_copy_1024x768.jpg

Dinner was an old classic, chicken tights with cream / mushroom sauce (garlic, shallots, shives, cream, mushroom, chicken stock, white wine, mustard). Served with tagliatelle.
IMG-20230924-WA0000_copy_1024x768.jpg

IMG-20230923-WA0008_copy_1024x768.jpg

Reactions: spicyayam

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Stick to the French grub mate the rest looks fecking horrible. I wouldn't go near any club that had that sandwich - too dry for the dry heaves and your Italian noodles looks more "al don'ty" than al dente. The best thing with your fried rice is the egg on top - a can of mixed vegs? Horror.

Reactions: Shadrach

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Stick to the French grub mate the rest looks fecking horrible. I wouldn't go near any club that had that sandwich - too dry for the dry heaves and your Italian noodles looks more "al don'ty" than al dente. The best thing with your fried rice is the egg on top - a can of mixed vegs? Horror.
For lunch we usually go for easy stuff. Fried eggs, omelette, fried rice, bacon, egg and toast, salads, etc...

Or like yesterday, an butter, ham, emmental sandwich

IMG-20230924-WA0006_copy_1024x768.jpg
Wanted to add the Club Sandwich to that assortment. Originally it is supposed to contain a layer of mayonnaise in order for it to be less dry, but I am not a fan of mayo except when homemade. The US / Brit / Aussie stuff in plastic tubes is worse than thoothpaste .......

Noodles : the picture is of the "mise en place", the step where you sort, clean, dice, weight all your ingredients before starting to cook. Hence everything is raw, and the pasta just out of the box.

Mixed veg, this is good quality. Again avoid anything US or Aussie or worse, the frozen fluorescent color shit...

images.jpeg-3.jpg

Last edited:

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
I must agree, the sandwich looked horribly dry. The only mayonnaise I have found eatable is Remni brand. I agree homemade would be better. The noodles looked OK, it was the sauce, that was a strange grey color. When it was (Mise En Place) it looked fine, just the photo of it finished, that looked strange. The ham looks like it is meat that is all ground up and made to look like ham. Quite pale. Nice cheese and bread though, not enough fresh greens.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
OK boys. take one cup of palm/olive/any oil and one fresh egg (all at room temp). Place both in a container that fits your stick mixer (Philips by choice). Add 2 Tbs lemon juice, garlic salt, 1 tsp mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Place mixer stick in container to the bottom, turn on holding steady for 20 seconds. Gradually move mixer up and down until mayo forms - vwalla (Gaelic) mayonnaise. Add sugar, soya sauce, chili, anyfeckingthing you want. It's hundreds of times better than store bought muck.

Reactions: Shadrach and Dori

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
OK boys. take one cup of palm/olive/any oil and one fresh egg (all at room temp). Place both in a container that fits your stick mixer (Philips by choice). Add 2 Tbs lemon juice, garlic salt, 1 tsp mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Place mixer stick in container to the bottom, turn on holding steady for 20 seconds. Gradually move mixer up and down until mayo forms - vwalla (Gaelic) mayonnaise. Add sugar, soya sauce, chili, anyfeckingthing you want. It's hundreds of times better than store bought muck.
Hand made for me, no mixer. And sure no fecking sugar or soya sauce....

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I must agree, the sandwich looked horribly dry. The only mayonnaise I have found eatable is Remni brand. I agree homemade would be better. The noodles looked OK, it was the sauce, that was a strange grey color. When it was (Mise En Place) it looked fine, just the photo of it finished, that looked strange. The ham looks like it is meat that is all ground up and made to look like ham. Quite pale. Nice cheese and bread though, not enough fresh greens.
Nope, I never buy "reconstitued" industrial ham.
Always trying to buy (Popular or Grand Lucky) what is closest to Jambon de Paris. Price is horribly expensive. 80/90 k for 3 VERY THIN slices.

Edit : for the Club Sandwich, I used what I found. It is not a gastronomic dish, no need to put 80 k ham in it.

Last edited:

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Yesterday's easy lunch. What I call farmer's omelette.
Thin slices fried potato, emmental and chives.
Served with salad and vinaigrette sauce.

IMG-20230925-WA0004_copy_768x576.jpg

Evening the remaining chicken tights, but this time with Basmati rice. A completely different league from the bland, tasteless white rice that spend a few hours in the rice cooker.
The Missus was a bit surprised first time I showed her to cook rice in a pan.....
Olive oil in the pan, heat it up, add the rice (washed) and fry it slowly 3 or 4 minutes to give it a nice brown color. While doing this add the spices : 1 chicken stock cube, salt, pepper, paprika, coriander, garlic powder, ginger powder, curcuma, cloves and bay leaves.
Add hot water to cover the rice and slowly cook it till "all dente"
Basmati rice is supposed to be a bit crispy, not the glue like mush white thing.

Note : the Miss can now cook this to perfection, but is not a fan of it and stick with white rice...
IMG-20230925-WA0008_copy_1280x576.jpg

Made some additionnal sauce (you never have enough), garlic, shallots, chicken stock, white wine, cream, mustard. Tasted perfectly.

IMG-20230925-WA0010_copy_1280x576.jpg