kx2fity

Sep 23, 2010
Hello All,

Just after some advice on Teaching Work in Bali. I realize this has been covered a number of times in the past but the answers were not as relevant to my situation.

To start with I am a 25 year old from Australia - I hold a Bachelor Of Education (Primary) and a number of other education based qualifications (sport science minor/ health & PE etc). I have experience in teaching Primary Aged Children.

I am well aware of the Low Salary and will only need enough to live
Ideally I would like to set up a job before I go (2011)
Preferably in an integrated Curriculum school (ie not an Australian based Curric)

I would really like some advice from people who are teaching in Bali or who have been in a similar situation. Should I be going through a company like English First?
Should I be emailing private schools? Should I just rock up and go door knocking as such?

Thankyou in advance,
Daniel

paulybgood

Sep 30, 2010
Hi kx2fity.

I have just got work ESL teaching with Englishtown/English First and I'm moving over in Nov. They may still be looking for teachers,they seem to advertise every three months. You might need to do a quick TESOL certificate course first tho.
I think you need to organise a working visa before you go door knocking.
Maybe some of the more experianced Expats can answer that for you.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Should I be going through a company like English First?
Should I be emailing private schools? Should I just rock up and go door knocking as such?

I would suggest contacting the international schools in Bali before you leave. There is a full list here:

Bali International Schools

kx2fity

Sep 23, 2010
[Thankyou knidly for your responses,
I have been contacting numerous schools ESL Agencies and I am finally starting to get a few positive responses. Im going to head over early next year for a look around and to drop of a few resumes.

sawbones

Nov 1, 2009
Out of curiosity how much do English Teachers make in Bali on average?

My son's English teacher complains vociferously during class time about his low rate of pay. It's a complaint oft repeated by many teachers but I've yet to hear an exact figure. I guess the well-heeled teachers of the west and other places are sort of shocked by the lack of enthusiasm and funding put towards education, even in some of the private schools subject structure and choice of subjects for study are hit and miss.
Many of the Indonesian English instructors with whole strings of alphabet soup certifications trailing behind them like tails on a kite, wouldn't know what proper conversational English was if it crept up on them and took a bite out of their backsides. They don't seem to be all that concerned about learning proper English from a "native speaker" of the language.
Have you ever listened to only English radio station on Bali? Give it try one fine morning.
The children of Medan speak English astonishingly well when compared to the children of Bali. It wasn't uncommon for children to surround me in any shopping mall, on any given day and do their best to engage me in conversation, with an eagerness and enthusiasm that I have yet to experience here on this island.
I find this perplexing on an island that is at its' saturation point, as far as western influence is concerned.
I'd be very interested in hearing a few theories as to why this is so.

Last edited:

noodle

Oct 22, 2010
Hi kx2fity.

I have just got work ESL teaching with Englishtown/English First and I'm moving over in Nov. They may still be looking for teachers,they seem to advertise every three months. You might need to do a quick TESOL certificate course first tho.
I think you need to organise a working visa before you go door knocking.
Maybe some of the more experianced Expats can answer that for you.

Is it possible to get a work visa BEFORE you go door knocking - if so - HOW? I am still trying to understand this visa thing.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Is it possible to get a work visa BEFORE you go door knocking

Since you need a company to sponsor you for the visa, I believe the answer is no, you cannot.

Eduka

Nov 23, 2010
HI, I'm with the recruitment department of EF English First. We are currently looking for teachers for our Englishtown online school in Denpasar. The position starts in December. Interested applicants can send their CVs to ef.recruitments@edukagroup.com, and we will reply with more information.

caloundraclan

Nov 25, 2010
Teaching in Bali

HI, I'm with the recruitment department of EF English First. We are currently looking for teachers for our Englishtown online school in Denpasar. The position starts in December. Interested applicants can send their CVs to ef.recruitments@edukagroup.com, and we will reply with more information.

Hi there,
I just read your comment regarding the recruitment positions at English First for December. Before I submit my CV, I was curious as to whether a TESOL qualification was required. I am a fully registered, experienced high school English teacher (with QLD qualifications).

msveuve

Jul 24, 2010
Bali
TEFL/Tesol

Hi there,
I just read your comment regarding the recruitment positions at English First for December. Before I submit my CV, I was curious as to whether a TESOL qualification was required. I am a fully registered, experienced high school English teacher (with QLD qualifications).

If you are a qualified teacher already then you dont need either of the above certificates............let me know if you want/need further help.
Cheers

TomYum

Feb 10, 2012
Bali
If you are a qualified teacher already then you dont need either of the above certificates............let me know if you want/need further help.
Cheers

I think you can get a job teaching English in Bali with a TEFL certificate but you need a degree. Word is that if you have a teaching degree you can get a job at an international school and get paid more. The TEFL jobs pay less but it's work:) I get 7 mill / month approx but don't have to be at work more than 40 hours a week.

krf

Feb 28, 2012
TomYum...
How are you finding Englishtown? I just accepted a job from them....And are you finding the cost of living ok on the wages?

TomYum

Feb 10, 2012
Bali
Hey Krf, it's cruisy. I mean, if you want just do the minimum and then get 6 mill or so, but I'm doing a few more hours each week so should get a couple mill more. Seems possible to have basic life here, beaches good (free!). Some of it's strict, like not being late, but it's a job.