JonasandJoan

Jun 4, 2011
Dear OP, have you seriously, as you wrote, 'immigrated' to Indonesia or have you, like most of us, here just living a very comfortable expat life? Because if, indeed, you have immigrated ie you intend to assilimilate into Indonesian society, then I would humby suggest that you forget the security guard, forget the private villa, and get out there and live amongst your fellow countrymen.

Dear Phil,

Thank you for your comment, it really added a lot of value and helped us with our original question....

FYI:

im·mi·grate/ˈimiˌgrāt/
Verb:
Come to live permanently in a foreign country.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
...then I would humby suggest that you forget the security guard, forget the private villa, and get out there and live amongst your fellow countrymen.
Most, if not all Balinese villages I've ever been to, or lived in, have their own security measures in place. I'm sure for good reasons.

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
Most, if not all Balinese villages I've ever been to, or lived in, have their own security measures in place. I'm sure for good reasons.

I'll defer to your greater experience here as I only know one village well, but I have been visiting there/staying there for many years and I can't recalll seeing any private security guards employed by private Balinese homeowners. In fact all the houses/compounds I'm familiar with are incredibly porous, people just wandering through when they like. But like I said, maybe in different villages/areas this isn't the case.

Annam

Oct 6, 2011
kerobokan
security guard - to have or to have not

As of next year, we will be expats in Bali for about a period of no less than 3 years.

'We' are 2 females, mother and 15 year old daughter. I have lived in other countries without security guards, but have been more familiar with these countries and spoken the language. BTW, my daughter has a physical disability and walks on sticks - she can't move too fast!

Should we be considering an overnight security guard?

Area we will be living in : not sure yet, but within 30 - 40 minutes from the AIS. Probably as rural as we can get with this time limit due to travel too and from school.

Look forward to your answers.

BTW, I have always been one to pay more from the start, and have learned this lesson the hardway. Bonuses and pay rises above and beyond what is acceptable in the area living in, should be the way to go rather than starting with a higher salary. I have even made this mistake in my own country ........... and at the moment I am 'paying' for it - Just a comment.

If we just shook and rattled the old chains, nothing would move. One must add one's own link to the chain. The more original the link, the greater the step forward. -- Frederic Chopin

Make a Small Loan, Make a Big Difference - Check out Kiva.org to Learn How!

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Dear Phil,

Thank you for your comment, it really added a lot of value and helped us with our original question....

FYI:

im·mi·grate/ˈimiˌgrāt/
Verb:
Come to live permanently in a foreign country.

JonasandJoan,
You really do need to work on your sense of humour. Without a sense of humour you will have a lot of trouble living here.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Should we be considering an overnight security guard?

Area we will be living in : not sure yet, but within 30 - 40 minutes from the AIS. Probably as rural as we can get with this time limit due to travel too and from school.

Hi Annam, you will get different answers on this, but I would suggest that initially it may be a good idea. The purpose is not so much to apprehend would be muggers - because the risk is so low. It is more to create the impression you care about security, and to maintain good relationships locally. The Governor of Bali earlier this year was quoted in The Jakarta Globe as saying
Governor Pastika also apportioned some of the blame on long-time visitors who are undermining the social structure of Bali. "They come and build their villas in remote areas as they please, but they don't socialize with the locals or the police, so eventually people start figuring out that these guys are an easy target for burglary or robbery," said Pastika.
The full article is at ‘Population Bomb’ to Blame for Crimes Against Foreigners, Bali Governor Says | The Jakarta Globe

It is the "socializing with the locals and police" that a security guard can help with provided he lives locally and is a respected community member.

I am sure others will disagree.