Isn't it amazing

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Tooth filing ceremony. Most impressive, and surely indicative of only the most serious commitment to Bali.

I won't be there to hold your hand, as you will already have a "mate" in this ceremony. As you surely already know, those who share this ceremony with you forever have a bond to you, and you to them.

Selamat! I am impressed to say the least, and I wish you well with this most important transition in your life. You will never be who you are right now after this ceremony. The Balinese consider this a "rite of passage" and indeed, that is exactly true.

charlie

Aug 9, 2005
unhappily in sydney
Hi Roy

Most impressive, and surely indicative of only the most serious commitment to Bali

it is my commitment to Bali, my husband, my family and it is a huge honour that i will be a part of it. I couldn't even begin to put into words how i feel about Bali and it's people - although you yourself have often gotten quite close for me.

Davo

Jan 4, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
RE: Isn

Ok pooochie, things didn't really go as I would have hoped but you and all may get a laugh. I'll get right onto it when i get home from work. :wink:

Will post some photos too.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar

Charlie

You will have a welcome ally here in Roy whose passion and knowledge about all things Bali is legend. Mind you he can talk a lot of rubbish about other things :)

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

I love the no phone in the jungle line. Dr Bruce - do you think I could use that one day? (In a song?)

Jimbo - How you keep sand out of your cell-phone?

And Hi, Ni Luh. Thought you'd forgotten about me. Any single malt would be brilliant for me. (Bule beggars can't be choosers.) Failing that, a 12-year-old John Jameson would be very nice (I use it to make Irish Coffee). The cheapest Australian wine can I find down here, 2-litre flagons, cost Rp145,000. I'm paying Rp135,000 for a case of Bintang (16 large bottles). Just for the record.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that Bali Bounder is allegedly an expat living in Bali. Is he staying in Bangli (like Rumak Sakit Bangli)? Ain't no cures to be had there (by any stretch of the imagination, or chains - do they still use those?).
:roll:

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK
Welcome Charlie

Hi Tina

Tina said:
Pooochie, welcome back. I loved your thread “BAR CHAT - Beware Adult Humour”.

Thanks Tina.

Hi Bapak Jimbo Sayangku

Jimbo said:
Favorite Malt is Laguvullin and very expensive it is too.

I never heard about that malt and only 19 hits in google.….Hmm

Hi Davo

I just checked Oom Bert pictures site. Lovely picture of you and your kekasih in Bali. I can’t wait for your story: was it sweet or sexy :oops: ?? Thanks for sharing it with us and we are all here for you if you need anything just ask the questions…

Hi Sanurian

Sanurian said:
Any single malt would be brilliant for me.

Well I have one bottle of Isle of Jura in Denpasar. I will ask my brother to put your name on it and lock it in the cupboard. Sanurian you mentioned “Caves” in Bali to my husband in the past. I have been wrecking my brain. Was that the Japanese Caves in Kintamani (I could be wrong here). Perhaps you can tell my husband and I over a drink when we are in Bali. Do you have the maps of the “tunnels” too?? Oops better say no more :oops: .

Sanurian said:
I'm a bit surprised to hear that Bali Bounder is allegedly an expat living in Bali. Is he staying in Bangli (like Rumak Sakit Bangli)? Ain't no cures to be had there (by any strecth of the imagination, or chains - do they still use those?).

I actually visited Bangli with my mother during her charitable works. I must admit it was very scary. It was a long time ago and if my memory serves me correctly yes they did use chains. I think Balibounder is a grifter. He tried to con another grifter in Bali and he was double conned. Can’t get over it, ending up in Bangli and somehow he got his hands on the computer.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar

Poochie Sayangku

Sayang bilang Sayang was a very famous indonesian love song of the late eighties. Still sends shivers down my spine. My favourite singer though is Pance. Old now but still I listen.

What about you or are you more into Western music?

I told you the whisky was expensive but I think it should be spelt Lagavullin. Only about 40quid a bottle :)

Sanurian

Mobile phones do not work in the middle of nowhere :)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Mind you he can talk a lot of rubbish about other things

And this from a man whose brain is frying in 125 degree heat in the middle of the desert in SA....and with NO cell phone? :p :p :p

I love ya Jimbo and when you finally get to Bali, I'll be sure to have a really good single malt on hand, just for you. :D

And, if you are very good, I’d love to invite you to one of our gallery photo sessions to model our vintage Indonesian batiks. We've got one "batik Belanda" with oil rigs on it. What do you think?

http://www.sundream.com/~majapahit/imag ... tulis8.jpg

Don't forget to right click your mouse to bring to full size.

That reminds me. Playboy Indonesia officially launched today with 100,000 copies hitting the “newsstands” etc. I asked my mother in law how many copies she intended to stock in her warung and she just grunted.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

Ni Luh

Whatever Isle of Jura is is fine by me. I thank you from the bottom and top of my heart. Can't wait to taste it.

I don't recall talking about caves to anybody in particular, let alone tunnels. If I did, I might have been referring to the ones in Penelokan or maybe even the ones around Pantai Parangtritis (near Jogjakarta). Stuffed if I know in what context though.

An afterthought about Bangli's Home For The Truly Disturbed: I remember seeing allegedly mad people in Bali strapped to a ball and chain (in Denpasar). Try crossing Jalan Gadja Madha with one of those in a hurry (even then). I also recall another local who'd lost the plot chained to a tree on the main road between Ubud and Gianyar. (I'm talking about the 1970s in Bali.) I've come across far worse, occasionally, around 10-15 years ago. But better I don't bring that up.
:D

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com

Sanurian,

The no phone in the jungle line is a riff on some improv comedy I was doing in Singapore last week while trying to buy (or not buy) gifts for the family. Example:

Me: I'd like three bottles of perfume for my daughters, please.

She: Try this. It's Jennifer Lopez's new brand.

Me: I don't think they know her, but ok.

She: How about your wife, sir?

Me: She lives in the jungle and spends a lot of time with the goats.

She: Ha, ha. (somewhat puzzled look) Then how about you, sir?

Me: I live in the jungle too. The pythons don't care how I smell?

She: (Smiling, gets the flow now)Hee, hee. What about your wife then, sir?

Me: She likes the smell of goats too. Do you have anything like that?

She: (sniffing me slightly) You smell quite nice sir. Maybe you have some goat perfume. Hee, hee.

Well, you can see where this is going - did it in the gold store and lingere store too. Worked pretty well as they all gave me discounts without me asking for them. They got to (or were forced to) see some photos I had with me of the Sumbawan jungle in the backyard. It was the first time that I've had some humorous encounters with Singaporean shop people. I loved it.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar

Roy

It could happen sooner than you think. My Boss is coming today and I am in a resigning mood :-(

Why stay here when I could be basking in Bali is a sure sign that the 40C heat is affecting me.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

drbruce

The no phone in the jungle line is a riff on some improv comedy I was doing in Singapore last week while trying to buy (or not buy) gifts for the family...

I love it - could incorporate that into "the new song" (with your permission, of course). I was in the Sukawati market yesterday, trying to buy a small barong for a very nice daughter of a friend of mine (from England). Didn't see any goats there and not sure exactly what the ambient aroma there could be described as. Managed to find a couple of hundred of them and pulled out my best bargaining skills. They actually worked...for me.

My Indonesian wife didn't fare so well: she wanted some carved fruit things, like apples, etc. Got to Rp1,000/piece, selected quite a few and somebody started screaming that they were at least Rp1,500/piece. No sale as a result. I always believed that once you've settled on a price, that was it.

:shock:

G

Ni Luh....Sorry for the delayed response - I hardly ever "drop by" the forum any more. I left the Airforce many, many years ago as a Chief(Tech) and I'm buggered if anyone's going to talk to me like THEY'RE the chief and I'm one of the sodding Indians, whether they're male OR female, Dutch or Australian!!
Ref your questions...no, I don't miss the English-style Indians, but I do miss their food. (No even halfway decent Indian restaurants in Bali). No, I definately don't miss the English Sunday Roast, and Yorkshire pudding is an abomination! Patek's curry and vindaloo pastes are available here if you look for them - at a price, of course. They're also easily available in Singapore, as is good English Marmalade, Bovril, Oxo and Bisto. Wines are also available in Bali at reasonable prices although not your "Tesco's" prices (or dubious quality) unless of course you choose any of the 3 locally produced rotguts, made from imported Australian grape juice!
There again, I'm not really one of your "average" Englishmen(Irish origin, actually) which is why I also sorely miss the vast open spaces and wild wonders of East and Central Africa, and the green fields, rains, pubs and music of Ireland.....but I certainly DON'T miss the God-forsaken wastes of Libya and the rest of the Middle East!
I miss the delights of the French cheese producers, but not their wines or people. I miss the seafoods and wines of Portugal, but not enough to go live there.

See, I'm a little bit jaded and travel weary!

Stay well, and take care........Colin.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

Hey Colin

Just in case you "drop by" again, I know how you feel.
However:
...Wines are also available in Bali at reasonable prices although not your "Tesco's" prices (or dubious quality) unless of course you choose any of the 3 locally produced rotguts, made from imported Australian grape juice!...
Not all the rotguts are made from Australian grape juice. Some are made from severely challanged grapes in North Bali. I agree that none of them are actually good - we tend to drink them because they're here and cheaper than imported rubbish from Australia, Chile, France, California, etc. I gather that nobody in the Indonesian government(s) has ever reviewed the Dutch heritage taxes on booze.

I agree entirely with you about "Indian food" in Bali. Basically dreadful. No idea. Even in some places that profess to have Indian "chefs". Patak Curry in a Bottle is a rather poor substitute as well. Instant Indian curries (or any others, for that matter), never deliver the goods. Depends upon how drunk one is at the time and how desperate one is for a different taste.

I saw you almost tail-gating me the other day in your Jimny...we were driving slowly looking for an address - not easy at the best of times. I don't understand the street-numbering "system" in Bali in certain areas. Jalan Gatot Subroto is a classic example: you can start at the southern end and (maybe) find Number 1. Go five or ten metres further and it suddenly becomes Number 186. A bit further it's Number 43. And so on.

When I was in Japan in 1984, I found out that their street-numbering was based upon who built what first. First building on the block was Number 1...the next one, on the other side of the block, was Number 2. In the "olden days", that was probably understandable. These days, it's a miracle how a Japanese taxi-driver can find anything.

It's like that today, even in my street in Bali. My house is 32. At the beginning of the street (300 metres away), is 30. Next door to me is (recently) 20/26. People are strange.

:roll:

JabberWokker

Nov 10, 2005
Bali

Hi Jimbo,

Jimbo said:
HP Sauce to cover your bacon

Agree, nothing better. Can you get black pudding in Bali?

Hi Colin,

Good to hear you can get some of the things I will crave for over in Bali or Singapore. I will probably be forced by Ni Luh to stock up on Whiskers when I take my trips to Singapore, as a treat :shock: .............. for my cat, not me :lol:

Hi Sanurian,

Sanurian said:
I agree entirely with you about "Indian food" in Bali. Basically dreadful. No idea. Even in some places that profess to have Indian "chefs". Patak Curry in a Bottle is a rather poor substitute as well. Instant Indian curries (or any others, for that matter),

I agree, the bottled ready made Indian foods are crap. But Ni Luh was meaning the pastes,, which can be used as a substitute if you don’t have the right spices. You can actually cook quite a good curry from these, if you add some ingredients such as fresh coriander, chilli etc. My late father used to make the Garam Masala and other pastes himself, this is a awful lot of work and takes hours. I will make you one when I am over in Bali.

Sanurian said:
Depends upon how drunk one is at the time and how desperate one is for a different taste.

I will make sure you are very drunk before you try it :lol:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: Isn

Jimbo said:
It could happen sooner than you think. My Boss is coming today and I am in a resigning mood :-(
So Jimbo, did you resign or did you have a change of heart when the weather cooled down? :?: