JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi, Papa Lopez

I am using Telkom Speedy Executive.

The speeds are 2 Mbps down and 512 kbps up.
The cost, (including tax), is Rp 1,090,000/month (the account is unlimited).

Note that "Telkom Speedy" and "Telkomsel" are not the same, even though they both belong to the same umbrella company (Telkom Indonesia, or something like that). Telkomsel provides various sim-card services for mobile phones and mobile internet. I signed up once with them a few years ago, lasted less than a week and wanted my money back (which I never got). In my opinion, it was hopeless then and bordered on being criminal with false promises. It might be better these days.

Then again, my Blackberry smartphone uses it, with mixed results. Sometimes OK, often hopeless.

Last edited:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
@ Peter Ka

I ran a few tests an hour ago to places like New York, Dallas, San Francisco and LA. The best download speed I got for the east coast was 1.5 Mbps (upload speeds were about the same for everywhere, about 0.47 Mbps).
One of the problems with doing these kinds of "speed tests" and tests for "ping quality" is unreliability. You have to take into account the time of day or night in Indonesia and the overseas' servers you're trying to reach.
Ideally, you need to run multiple tests and get an average. I haven't done that, today.

Here are some screen shots:

Certainly not staggering results, but not too bad, considering.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
@andrewbaker77
Global Xtreme 2MBPS @ $240US/2.2Juta month. Extremely reliable, constant. Happyhappy.
That's great and I'm glad you're happy.

Your speedtest images are not clear enough for me to make out much detail. In your test, you seem to be getting about the same upload and download speeds, (that's very good and comes at a price). Peter Ka points out that you tested a local server, meaning that if you tested for other ones, further afield, the results will probably be less impressive. That's still OK if your connection does what you want it to do. For Rp 26+ million a year, (not counting equipment and setup), I'd want to be super happy, too.

I ran a few tests on my Speedy setup in the last hour. There were packet-loss problems (as much as 8%), unacceptable jitter and slower than usual speeds, to some servers in Jakarta, Surabaya and Bandung. Others, like Jogjakarta, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur seemed fine. Basically, it's hard to be confident about these tests unless you repeat them several times. Once is never enough.

I don't have problems using Telkom Speedy for Skype calls (including video calls).
I pay approximately Rp 1 million/month for the 2Mbs unlimited package ("Executive"?).

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
I was with golablxtreme and was happy but then things started to go awry with constant dropouts. The techo came and suggested it was my router (which i replaced) and then he told i need a voltage stabiliser (which i bought) and then he replaced something in the roof but still the same problem.

in the end I bit the bullet and changed providers to CBN.

I chose the directnetplus option - downstream 1mbps upstream 512 mbps installation 1 million.

they came and installed a really ugly tower but the internet has been rock solid ever since with pretty good speeds.

i guess the problem with globalxtreme is that somehow their signal to my area got compromised without them knowing about it.

anyway - very very happy with CBN, good service, good product

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
i guess the problem with globalxtreme is that somehow their signal to my area got compromised without them knowing about it.

So they were using a radio link to your house? The mention somewhere above of Fiber Optic sounds too good to be true and probably is. I guess they mean that somwhere along the way you connection passes along a fiber optic cable, but that would be true of all Internet connections.

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
yes, they had a radiolink, but the receiver was only a couple of metres above the roof and the tower that cbn installed is about 10m high (though they interestingly they only put the receiver about half way up it)

still, not sure why the golbalxtreme stopped working. maybe there was a problem with the receiver which they didn't pinpoint or maybe their radio signal was compromised somehow. a shame really because apart from this i found them very efficient and pleasant to deal with!

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
There is fibre optic cable already laid here in Canggu, Global Extreme can offer the service fairly soon, we are talking weeks from now.....yeah

donfuego

Apr 20, 2009
Denpasar, Bali
Cool. I hope they did a better job than PDAM when putting down pipes, covering them with a thin layer of dust at best. Or they will need a handful of really good fiber optic welders :)

Any clue what price/plans will be available?

knocky

Jan 10, 2012
i am having a little problem finding internet, i need to download around 20-30 gb a month with speeds around 1 mb/512k upload. any ideas of a provider in jimbaran area

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
If you have a fixed phone line then Telkom Speedy (ADSL) may be your best bet. Look at TELKOM - Speedy and pick one of their high end options.

If you cannot get a fixed line and are in an area where Telkomsel provides good 3G coverage, then you could consider getting 3 or 4 SIM cards on the PRO post-paid package - see Paket Telkomsel Flash - Telkomsel. They provide 8GB at high speed per card, so then you cycle through them in each month. It's a bit of a fiddle needing to change cards - but it works and doesn't cost the earth.

knocky

Jan 10, 2012
BOTH GREAT ideas i am going to get a telephone line installed if i can convince my landlord hahah

nzfritz

May 2, 2012
Hi Effie. I live in Sanur and have a fast internet connection. (fast for bali is 1mbps - and I do get that speed.) It is normal broadband that comes through the telkom (telecom) landline to a wireless router. I pay 850 thousand Rupiah per month. That includes the phone line rental and the internet. The connection is completely unlimited with no speed restrictions or penalties. Bear in mind that not all houses have a phone line, though, and unlike most countries, you cannot ask for a line to be put in. :)

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
You are talking about Telkom Speedy which I mentioned above. Look back at that post for the web link that lists the plans and prices. A good option if you have a fixed phone line.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi knocky
i am having a little problem finding internet, i need to download around 20-30 gb a month with speeds around 1 mb/512k upload. any ideas of a provider in jimbaran area
Getting a new phone line installed isn't all that easy here. And I'm not sure of the situation around Jimbaran.

I'm in Sanur, use Telkom Speedy and pay for the 2Mbs/512K unlimited package (speeds which I normally get). Costs about Rp 1 million/month.
I download heaps of stuff every day - maybe 5GB/day which is 60GB a month. Yeah - I know - I'm a download ******.
Works fine for me.

No shaping or limits of any kind, so far. Expensive as it is, relatively speaking, it's a lot cheaper than the alternatives.

Good luck with getting your landloard to install a phone line.

:icon_lol:

knocky

Jan 10, 2012
Hi knocky

Getting a new phone line installed isn't all that easy here. And I'm not sure of the situation around Jimbaran.

I'm in Sanur, use Telkom Speedy and pay for the 2Mbs/512K unlimited package (speeds which I normally get). Costs about Rp 1 million/month.
I download heaps of stuff every day - maybe 5GB/day which is 60GB a month. Yeah - I know - I'm a download ******.
Works fine for me.

No shaping or limits of any kind, so far. Expensive as it is, relatively speaking, it's a lot cheaper than the alternatives.

Good luck with getting your landloard to install a phone line.

:icon_lol:

my handyman at work said fitting a phone line will be no problem he will do it lol. guy tbf is connected so line install at the end of the month and will be sorted with speedy