matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Thank you for your help. How much per month is the business package?

I can now access their main site (couldn't this morning)

According to their website: Koneksi Internet Broadband Unlimited Cepat Murah & Free HotSpot - TelkomSpeedy the Business package (Paket Biz) is Rp1.695.000 per month but that doesn't include PPN (gov't tax), so it's probably another Rp200.000 or more, on top of the quoted rate.

Our package, shown as "Familia" on this page but shown as "Game" on the other website is quoted at Rp645.000 per month but in fact, costs us Rp746.000 including PPN.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
The Speedtest results you show are for using a server in Surabaya (650 kms from Kerobokan). Those results are "normal" (good), except for the ping time of 57ms ("reasonable", but not optimal). Many other servers within Indonesia should come up with similar results (ping times will probably vary wildly).

However, if you choose a server outside of here, (like Singapore, Tokyo, Los Angeles, Sydney, etc), your results may be quite different. That's sort of the nature of the beast we currently pay excessively for in Bali to get affordable internet access.

Imagine Indonesia's internet "infrastructure" as a dam with millions of small rivers (users) flowing into it. If the dam is not big enough, it gets full and overflows (no or only limited connections for excess rivers/users). Now imagine trying to fill/access the Pacific Ocean, (the rest of the internet), with a garden hose.

In addition to my metaphor above, there are many factors which can degrade the quality and speed of one's ADSL connection. Here are just a few (in no particular order):

1) Distance from nearest available exchange
2) Physical quality and condition of telephone line
3) Rats eating through the wiring
4) DNS (Domain Name System) settings (on your modem/s)

That last point can make a significant difference. Not all DNS's are the same. And you don't have to use the one you've got. It can be changed.

Namebench (namebench - Open-source DNS Benchmark Utility - Google Project Hosting) is a clever tool that pits all the best DNS servers against each other, and reports on which will deliver the fastest performance for you. It takes several minutes to analyse what's already running on you set-up and then shows you alternatives.

Two popular alternate DNS servers are:

Google Public DNS
OpenDNS

I have used both - personally, I prefer OpenDNS.

Regarding TelkomSpeedy (or TelkomSepeda as I maybe unfairly call it), we don't really get what we pay for. It's quite OK but seriously over-priced, for what it is...as are all of the altrernative ISPs, particularly in Bali.

I use the unlimited 1Mbs version which costs me about Rp 700,000/month (including tax). I download lots of stuff every month (maybe 60-70 full movies, many music albums, etc). I haven't experienced any throttling back of my speed (so far).

I think it's important to note that not all Speedy "packages" are available in Bali at present. Bali Speedy recently offered me its 2Mbs unlimited service for Rp 995,000/month, plus PPN (which is 10%). That's a total of around Rp 1,100,000/month. I'm still thinking about it. If the download speed is really faster, that would be great. More importantly, (for me), would be the faster upload speed for files. Still, it's horses for courses.

I don't know where you can get a 5Mbs connection in Bali. Sounds like a pipe (or hose) dream to me...Maybe next year...maybe "besok" (which can mean the same thing).

I hope this is of some use.

:icon_razz:

Last edited:

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
namebench and results

Your links are very useful.I curiously did run the namebench test and the result is that my Speedy connection might be 47% quicker(or less slow) if i change the primary,secondary and tertiary servers.
BUT:where to start?I use a laptop that is linked to the Speedy connection using a Belkin wireless modem router.I guess i have to change the settings in the modem ,right?
The original installation was done by a guy from Speedy,who first installed kind of a slow and complicated construction(and claimed the software was not fit for Indonesia,but took it away and changed it presumably),and some time later ,when called for another problem ,claimed he just learned about the working of the Belkin Modem and changed everything to a much quicker result.I am a bit reluctant to call him in again,as each time he comes,he wants to sell me a modem of a never heard of brand that will solve all my problems.At the moment the Belkin modem is serving without any problem as a hotspot in and around the house.
Good advice anyone?

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi hermit

Try something like the following, but, before you do, create a new system restore point.
You didn't state which operating system you use. Mine is Windows 7 Pro (64 bit version).

If you go to the OpenDNS website, you can download its tool-bar, if you want, (after registering yourself for free). You don't have to do that - the advantage is that you can log-in to your account and get lots of details about your connection performance, etc.

The following applies to changing DNS server settings in Windows. Basically, what you're doing is changing the settings for your LAN (Local Area Connection). Wherever you type in any changes, write down what's there in the first place, so you can go back if you need to.

Go to Start | Control Panel | Network and Sharing Center
Click |Change Adapter Settings
Right click | Local Area Connection | click Properties
Click | Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) | Properties
Obtain an IP address automatically should be on

Further down, click | Use the following DNS server addresses
Enter the following:
Preferred DNS server: 208.67.222.222
Alternate DNS server: 208.67.220.220

If you want to try Google's Public DNS, enter these instead:

Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4

OR, after running Namebench, enter the servers it reckons are the fastest for your situation.

Hope this helps...

:icon_biggrin:

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Server speak

Hi hermit

OR, after running Namebench, enter the servers it reckons are the fastest for your situation.
Hope this helps...

Thanks,that is a big help.I assumed i had to change someting in the modem settings.
I did run namebench with the following result for a faster connection:

Primary server 125.60.234(Telkom DPS ID)
Secondary server 202.234.0.61(Telkomspeedy jakarta 4ID)
Tertiary server 203.130.196.5(TELKOM Jakarta 2 ID)
And thanks for reminding me about the restoration point!If not I would have charged into it like a blind bull.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
So how fast would I get using Speedy in Ubud?

I have just had a stick modem installed using AHA dialler applic. I am in Ubud and so far, touch wood!!! it is working fine and fast!!! Please dont ask any technical questions, as I am a technical geek....I have the guys mobile number if anyone is interested, I love it because it is portable. :icon_biggrin:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
You're welcome. I hope it's working for you. Just in case, you should flush your computer and browser caches as follows:

1) Computer's cache:

Start | type cmd and press enter |type ipconfig /flushdns | press enter | type exit and press enter. That's it.

2) Browser's cache:

This depends upon which browser(s) you're using. In Firefox 5, for example, go to: History | Clear Recent History | Click "Everything" in "Time range to clear" (make sure that the "Cache" box is ticked | click "Clear Now"

If you haven't done so already, I believe it's very worthwhile to register for a free account with OpenDNS. You'll get your own dashboard from which you can tailor various additional settings such as phishing, adding/deleting to your network, parental filters, ability to block various domains, usage statistics, etc.

There's also an option to automatically ensure that your dynamic IP address is up-to-date (most of us have dynamic IP's assigned to us by our internet service providers). You can find more information at the following site:

OpenDNS > OpenDNS at Home

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
You're welcome. I hope it's working for you.
OpenDNS > OpenDNS at Home

One more question:i looked at the open dsn website that states clearly the settings in the modem router should be changed.
I am using a wireless modem/router that functions as a hotspot around the house.
As far as i understood your previous manual,that changed settings in the computer only.
Sorry for being a Dummie.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Your main computer is connecting to your wireless/modem. Your wireless/modem sends on stuff to whatever other devices you have around your house that need access.

Changing the DNS settings in your main computer means that your modem will use those settings to pass on the information. You don't have to change the DNS settings in your modem/router, but you can if you want.

The main benefit of doing that, ("router-based DNS"), is that all of the DNS servers in your whole network can be changed in the one place (your router). Any other computers in your network will use those settings. Apart from that, it doesn't really make any difference (as in performance-wise).

If you change the DNS settings on your main computer, (as explained before), there is a link on OpenDNS's website to test that it's working.

And you're not a "Dummie". Computer networking issues can give most people a big headache, even professionals. (I am not a "professional" - I 've got lots of empty Aspirin bottles to prove it.)

featurex

Jul 11, 2011
Berlin
I will probably be living in the area of Ubud soon (from september).

I am prepared to pay between 200-300€ for a stable Internet-Connection that should have at least 1mbit down / 0,1mbit up.

Of course cheaper would be great but after seeing what some people pay for their internetconnect - wow.

Do you have any recommendations or places I can go to get additional information?

Thx
Oliver

donfuego

Apr 20, 2009
Denpasar, Bali
I will probably just make things fuzzier but I will at least try to clarify a bit.... ;)

Your main computer is connecting to your wireless/modem. Your wireless/modem sends on stuff to whatever other devices you have around your house that need access.
The modem (wireless or not) can be thought of as your local network hub, which is the centre of all your internet enabled devices in your house, and all traffic to or from the internet is passed through the modem (which also acts as a router in this case). Which means the modem has "the last say" regarding network settings. Depending on the modem, it will either let the configuration (such as DNS parameters) of your computers/internet devices simply pass through, or it will override the parameters.

Changing the DNS settings in your main computer means that your modem will use those settings to pass on the information.
It means that your *computer* will try to use these DNS settings but it is again up to the modem (depending on its policy and configuration) to let the parameters pass through to the internet untouched, or override them. However, any other device also connected to the modem will not be affected by the settings of your computer, meaning all your computers/devices may have individual settings.

You don't have to change the DNS settings in your modem/router, but you can if you want.
Again, this entirely depends on the policy and configuration of your modem. If your modem/router is overriding the DNS parameters of your traffic, you are obligated to instead change the settings of your modem as it will have "the last say".

Computer networking issues can give most people a big headache, even professionals.
Amen to that! :)

For further information on the subject, see Residential gateway and Network address translation

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi donfuego

...I will probably just make things fuzzier but I will at least try to clarify a bit.... ;)
I enjoyed reading your comments. However, you managed to confuse me even more than I already was. (I bet I'm not alone in this.)

I tried to keep things relatively "simple" for hermit's original questions. Perhaps I failed (haven't heard from him in a while - maybe he's broken his internet connection or smashed his computers to pieces).

I stand by the "instructions" I posted before regarding OpenDNS. My current internet connection (TelkomSpeedy 2Mbs down/512kbs up for Rp 1,100,000/month), is working great. And I'm using OpenDNS with zero problems.

Computer networking stuff can seem like rocket science for beginners (I'm not a beginner or a "professional" but know my way around, usually).

If I didn't make some things clear enough before, I'll add this:

If you have a router and several computers connected to the internet, you only need to set up the OpenDNS Updater on one machine. This should be the machine that is used most often.
OpenDNS is not the only alternate DNS. Google, for example, has its own "Public DNS". (Primary DNS = 8.8.8.8, Secondary = 8.8.4.4). Anybody interested can read more detailed instructions at:

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.htm

If somebody chooses to use OpenDNS, the free OpenDNS Updater Tool should be installed because most of us using ASDL accounts with dynamic addresses need them to be up-to-date (as opposed to static ones = more expensive, if you can find an ISP that offers it).

Google vs OpenDNS vs all the others is a personal choice. You can always run something like NameBench to see if there are faster options where you are, every couple of weeks or so.

:cheerful:

donfuego

Apr 20, 2009
Denpasar, Bali
I beg to apologize in advance for inflicting even further confusion to the subject :icon_e_smile:

My post above was just a general reflection on the topic modem/router and how it may override any configuration set on your computer(s) - which seems to be a common source of confusion for many people (i.e: should I change my settings on the computer or in the modem/router?).

I'm sure OpenDNS works great for people who wants increased security and faster browsing in general. Just a heads up though - the free "Basic" product is ad-supported!

Google Pubic DNS, as Johnny points out, is a good ad-free alternative and doesn't require any program to be installed. It might require you to change the DNS settings in your modem/router though :icon_mrgreen:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I'm sure OpenDNS works great for people who wants increased security and faster browsing in general. Just a heads up though - the free "Basic" product is ad-supported!

Yes it is (ad-supported). However, I didn't find it to be intrusive in any way. In fact, I recently opted for the paid version (about $10/year).

I think what you're missing here, donfuego, is that it is not necessary to install anything to use OpenDNS (unless you want to have access to the dashboard features), or any of the other alternatives such as Google Public DNS, etc. Oh, and of course, if you want your dynamic IP addresses current.

Perhaps we've both managed to confuse people even more. I hope not.
It ain't all that hard (usually). For anybody who's read this far and still not sure, please feel free to send me a PM.

:drunk: