Human Billboards

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
maybe soon there will be 2 cops holding a sign, 1 turn your lights on and the other buy helmets with the sni number...:lol: the rest of your post doesnt hold water...or i just dont understand your writing..anyways i'm 2 old for yes-no games...so i'll leave it at this.. Oh and btw,i couldnt care less about what someone else uses as a helmet,law or no law.

bambang

Jan 4, 2009
maybe soon there will be 2 cops holding a sign, 1 turn your lights on and the other buy helmets with the sni number
No need. Since April 2009 the onus is on the manufacturers and importers to have their products certified. Once the current batch of non-complying helmets have passed through the system there won't be a legal supply of non-complying helmets.

the rest of your post doesnt hold water...or i just dont understand your writing
I do apologise. English is my third language after Indonesian and Japanese. Please feel free to enlighten me as to where my writing is not clear or factually incorrect.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Indonesia will gradually make the safety standards more stringent and at their own pace that is suitable for local socio-economic conditions. If you expect European standards right now perhaps you should be living in Europe. If you know what I mean?
What "pace" is that?

"Rubber-time" (jam karet) aside, many initiatives and projects in this country seem to get bogged down whenever there's some money around to cream off.

The current fiasco with the KPK (Anti-corruption Committee), the AGO (Attorney General's department), alleged wire-tapping, Bank Century "scandal", and much more do not make for pleasant reading nor instill confidence.

Where is free universal health-care in Indonesia?
Free education?
Freedom to make a movie about anything?
Freedom to complain about poor hospital treatment, without getting arrested for it?
Freedom to be 10 years old, shine shoes at Jakarta's airport, and getting busted for "gambling" with your friends?
If you expect European standards right now perhaps you should be living in Europe.
This is a common response to those Westerners who dare to draw attention to things they see are inefficient, ineffective, or "wrong". If you don't like it here, piss off.

If an Indonesian can't get his Sony TV fixed properly here, maybe he should move to Japan.

And we all know there's lots of evidence around for all of us to see everyday regarding this:
...On the contrary Indonesia is making great progress in improving national standards...
Keep the dream alive, buddy...

:shock:

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
Words/rules and regulation in this country count as Kosong. First the driver MUST learn HOW to drive and to RESPECT the rules and regulations (this is a job for the police) then concentrate of building "up to standard helmets".[/quote]
I agree with lumumba, unless people here can /have
A licence
Have a test before recieving a licence
Obey basic road rules
Be of a legal age to drive
Then all the changes to the current"laws" such as turning the lights on are a complete waste of time.
I can imagine the scenario, the kids are in the car with me, they say"daddy, why is that boy driving on the wrong side of the road, no helmet and about 10 years old"
My reply would be, it's ok kids, he's got his lights on so we can all see him...no worries :roll: :roll:

bambang

Jan 4, 2009
I see so things cannot occur in parallel? One part of the system has to be next to perfect before another part can be acted on?

So that means the road safety laws in Australia are a waste of time because thousands are charged every year for drink-driving, driving without a licence, driving unregistered and uninsured vehicles, breaking the speed limit, driving unroadworthy and dangerous vehicles etc etc?

That is plainly ridiculous. Why do you place impossibly high expectations on your host country? What gives you the right?

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
bambang said:
I
So that means the road safety laws in Australia are a waste of time because thousands are charged every year for drink-driving, driving without a licence, driving unregistered and uninsured vehicles, breaking the speed limit, driving unroadworthy and dangerous vehicles etc etc?

?

Yes bambang, you are right, if Australia didnt have such harsh laws it would be hundreds of thousands charged every year for offenses.......

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
Why can't I complain ...I live here.
Do I have to be Indonesian to have a voice.
My wifes from Bali and she complains about the poor driving here all the time,but me, no I'm not Indonesian so cannot be heard.
Yes Oz has problems with drink driving, the others are small in numbers and uninsured cars are not illegal. Registration ther covers 3rd party claims, insurance is just body work and you are not reqiured to have it.
I care about my safety, I wish other road users here did too.
Normally people's poor decision making requires others to take defensive action to avoid a collision.
At least in Oz the chances of being caught for a traffic violation are high, here they are ZERO
But I will admit it's almost overkill with the police in OZ, people being booked for 4kms/h over the speed limit. :roll:

bambang

Jan 4, 2009
Why can't I complain ...I live here.
Do I have to be Indonesian to have a voice.
Yes. If you want a say, unasked, about how the country is run you should become an Indonesian citizen. Say goodbye to your pension.

At least in Oz the chances of being caught for a traffic violation are high, here they are ZERO
Where is here? Indonesia is a huge archipelago. The laws are enforced but there is also no point prosecuting people who have no capacity to pay. There has to a balance between enforcement and promotion of the law. You want to imply Western standards of policing and compliance on Indonesia and until it achieves those things you believe you have the right to disparage and mock.

Yes Oz has problems with drink driving, the others are small in numbers and uninsured cars are not illegal. Registration ther covers 3rd party claims, insurance is just body work and you are not reqiured to have it.
Thousands are killed or maimed in Australia every year. You are also wrong about third party - it is an insurance and if the vehicle isn't registered you don't have insurance and your property insurance if you have it is also invalidated.

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
A car in Australia has 2 types of insurance that is paid together.Vehicle registration and a compulsary 3 rd party insurance, in Victoria , this is TAC insurance.You cannot only pay one. Insurance for accidents(body) is not compulsary.
As for my pension...what pension. I am employed here and also provide work for @ 20 full time staff..all who come from my wifes village in Buleleng.So what's your point..Indonesian citizenship to have a voice...how do you know what passports I hold ?and who cares.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Your english is superb, but factually incorrect.....

there ISa international standard for helmets as described in my previous post.
SNI doesnt cover whole of asia now does it? the US and EU standards are legal everywhere(including Indonesia, so why does Indo need to make there own SNI, but thats beside the point)

Most helmets that are sold today are not tested and therefor do not hold the SNI or DOT or whatever other standard for safetytests.

the director's statement is incorrect, reread what he said carefully, maybe then you will see, what he says doesn't make sense.

angle of impact is not important...the helmet will always break from the inside first, it's designed that way, just like you said somewhat the same as a wrinkle-zone on a car. A helmet can be busted from the inside without any visible damage on the outside.

common attitude all over the world....I think not, but I can only speak for people I actually know, and they don't wear helmets to dodge a fine.

And I just buy my helmets overseas and ship them here, I do that with all things that I can't find here and with things that in my opinion are not good enough in Indonesia, so no need for me to move back to europe.

This was my last post on this topic, since it's leading nowhere, and I already tried to bring it somewhat back to the topic..

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Your english is superb, but factually incorrect.....

SNI doesnt cover whole of asia now does it? the US and EU standards are legal everywhere(including Indonesia, so why does Indo need to make there own SNI, but thats beside the point)

Most helmets that are sold today are not tested and therefor do not hold the SNI or DOT or whatever other standard for safetytests.

the director's statement is incorrect, reread what he said carefully, maybe then you will see, what he says doesn't make sense.

angle of impact is not important...the helmet will always break from the inside first, it's designed that way, just like you said somewhat the same as a wrinkle-zone on a car. A helmet can be busted from the inside without any visible damage on the outside.

common attitude all over the world....I think not, but I can only speak for people I actually know, and they don't wear helmets to dodge a fine.

And I just buy my helmets overseas and ship them here, I do that with all things that I can't find here and with things that in my opinion are not good enough in Indonesia, so no need for me to move back to europe.

This was my last post on this topic, since it's leading nowhere, and I already tried to bring it somewhat back to the topic..

bambang

Jan 4, 2009
A car in Australia has 2 types of insurance that is paid together.Vehicle registration and a compulsary 3 rd party insurance, in Victoria , this is TAC insurance.You cannot only pay one.
If you don't pay the registration you are not insured for third party claims.

As for my pension...what pension. I am employed here and also provide work for @ 20 full time staff..all who come from my wifes village in Buleleng.So what's your point..Indonesian citizenship to have a voice...how do you know what passports I hold ?and who cares.
Go ahead and become an Indonesian citizen. Most won't because any sign of trouble, illness or legal difficulty they will run back to their home country.

bambang

Jan 4, 2009
ISO is for the way the helmet is made, i.e. factory is safe, machinery is ok, people wearing safetyglasses at the productionline etcetc...ISO standard for this is ISO 9001/2000....the ISO
That is not a standard for the way a helmet is made - it is a generic quality management standard.

the US and EU standards are legal everywhere(including Indonesia, so why does Indo need to make there own SNI, but thats beside the point)
These standards are not recognised in Indonesia. A typical imperious attitude.

It does make sense. The indonesian standard does not allow half-face helmets which are inherently inferior to full-face helmets in safety.

Hence the need for legislation to enforce standards as has recently been applied since April 2009. I would have thought that would be blindingly obvious.

You miss the point entirely. Safety is accepted in the West now after many years of education and enforcement. What do you think Indonesians are mentally inferior and don't have the capacity to understand the importance of safety?

Your next imported helmet must have SNI certification. You should respect the laws of the country you are living in.

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
Just made a left turn into a shop, the indicator was on,then bang, hit in the back by Johnny Cepat. Minor damage, of cause when I got out he did the usual runner. Do Indonesiams understand the importance of safety??
I would only say, drive on the roads anytime, anyday and you will see the answer to that question.Unless one has a white stick and a labrador :roll:

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Go ahead and become an Indonesian citizen. Most won't because any sign of trouble, illness or legal difficulty they will run back to their home country.

I would like to become an Indonesian citizen. I understand I have to be here 10 consecutive years before I can apply (2xKITAS) because prior to being on a KITAS I used to return to UK I dont have the 10 consecutive years. Now both my parents are dead I have no desire to go back to the UK except to take Martin for a visit when he is older.

I have read Richard Kalibukbuk's account of his conversion and if anyone knows of anywhere else I can get information in plain english I would be grateful. :)

bambang

Jan 4, 2009
I believe it is 5 consecutive years.

And good on you for wanting to become an Indonesian citizen! :D

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
Bambang wrote:
You miss the point entirely. Safety is accepted in the West now after many years of education and enforcement. What do you think Indonesians are mentally inferior and don't have the capacity to understand the importance of safety?

yes, yes, yes. Some one who drive the motorbike the way they ALL (98% of them) do-DO NOT have the brain/intelligence to understand ANYTHING about safety and also don't give a sh** if they hit anyone else on their way and send them to hospital or under ground.

I think you curry a HUGE chip on your shoulder, shake it out or maybe you need someone to do it for you, CAPISCI

bambang

Jan 4, 2009
they ALL (98% of them) do-DO NOT have the brain/intelligence to understand ANYTHING about safety and also don't give a sh** if they hit anyone else on their way and send them to hospital or under ground.
Who has a chip on their shoulder? :lol:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I would like to become an Indonesian citizen. I understand I have to be here 10 consecutive years before I can apply (2xKITAS)
Hi, mimpimanis. I'm not sure about the 10 consecutive years. I thought it could be a cumulative 10 years. Maybe that's changed, maybe not. Maybe bambang is right with:
I believe it is 5 consecutive years.
In other words, maybe both scenarios are possible, ie, 10 accumulated years or 5 consecutive years.

I can't really see any definitive advantages in becoming an "Indonesian citizen". A few, more or less, minor advantages, but hardly enough to go the whole way. In any case, getting accurate and reliable information is still problematic.

Master bambang, (or, as someone else spelled his name - bumbang), is still ranting and railing.

Even lumumba reckons:
I think you curry {sic} a HUGE chip on your shoulder, shake it out or maybe you need someone to do it for you...
A response?
Who has a chip on their shoulder?
It might not be a chip, mate. It might be some nasi goreng with a fake egg on top.
You do know about the fake Indonesian eggs saga a while ago?

Do Indonesian eggs have and ISO rating?

:D