pollyanna

Have you seen any hickory chips for barbecuing and smoking in Bali? We've been looking and can't find them anywhere.

Never seen Hickory Chips for sale in Bali (Ace Hardware in the USA carries it).
But there are alternatives.
Are you using a smoker or a BBQ?

In the States I have used hickory chips, mesquite, apple wood, alder and other hard woods, and have never found anything the equal of coconut husks that I use along with charcoal (arang). To me the smoked flavor is better than anything else. We all have our preferences however and in answer to your question can frankly say that I have never seen hickory chips.
True, the husks do burn up faster, but the trick is to keep some from the immediate fire and just adjacent so you have a ready supply to continually introduce as the older husks turn to ash. The arang will hold up longer and is used to augment the husks and maintain a constant heat.
Good luck!

Never seen Hickory Chips for sale in Bali (Ace Hardware in the USA carries it).
But there are alternatives.
Are you using a smoker or a BBQ?

Both. For over 20 years we've used a smoker for a holiday turkey and many years we've also put a pickled pork (fresh ham) on the smoker. But this year we haven't found hickory for the smoker so Bob is planning to cook the turkey (bought from Ubud Deli) in the barbeque with indirect heat.

He said this morning, "We're in unchartered territory with this bird." That's true and not just for the turkey cooking method. I've made Mostarda Di Frutta in place of cranberry sauce. That is a new recipe but I've already made it and it is delicious. The dressing is a new recipe for me. It is called Simple is Best Dressing and can be found on the Bon Appetit site. We're doing Creamed Peas and Onions for a vegetable and that is also a new recipe. The pecan pie is my old standby recipe but I made it a week or two ago and froze it. I'm just hoping it will be yummy. More unchartered territory. But the sweet potato casserole is sacred. Never to be messed with. My daughter is making it and she'd better not fool with the recipe.

Sorry. I got carried away. The above has almost nothing to do with Bali. I'm just excited about the holiday. Please forgive.

Id like to get these hickory chips too , but ive given up looking , and even if they were imported , they would be ecologically unsustainable due to the transportation etc and also be expensive .

Therefore alternatives are required ;

On my next trip up the mountains (whenever that is ?) I will be looking for someone with apple trees , and try to obtain some of their pruned branches , so I can chip them myself ...., or ...., Im sure there are other nice flavoursome woods locally available in Bali to use for smoking meats ( in either a smoker or hooded BBQ ) ..., But as smoking meats is not common here , some experimentation is required - but meat here is expensive and the cooking process is long , so we dont want to experiment with all that is at stake (pardon the pun) , Id hate to go to all that trouble only to ruin the flavor of your cooked meats.

Has anyone spoke to any locals experienced with smoking ? as there are also many fruit woods available here in Bali that may offer their own unique and complimentary flavors .

Please share your results if you have tried something different (good and bad )

Both. For over 20 years we've used a smoker for a holiday turkey and many years we've also put a pickled pork (fresh ham) on the smoker. But this year we haven't found hickory for the smoker so Bob is planning to cook the turkey (bought from Ubud Deli) in the barbeque with indirect heat.

He said this morning, "We're in unchartered territory with this bird." That's true and not just for the turkey cooking method. I've made Mostarda Di Frutta in place of cranberry sauce. That is a new recipe but I've already made it and it is delicious. The dressing is a new recipe for me. It is called Simple is Best Dressing and can be found on the Bon Appetit site. We're doing Creamed Peas and Onions for a vegetable and that is also a new recipe. The pecan pie is my old standby recipe but I made it a week or two ago and froze it. I'm just hoping it will be yummy. More unchartered territory. But the sweet potato casserole is sacred. Never to be messed with. My daughter is making it and she'd better not fool with the recipe.

Sorry. I got carried away. The above has almost nothing to do with Bali. I'm just excited about the holiday. Please forgive.

Sounds delicious, I'll drop round at about noon, or is that too early? (Joke!! It did read like an invitation though! :apple:

More to the point, since smoking with apple chips seems popular; how about substituting mango or lime chips (of which there are plenty) though I'm not sure how much flavour the bird will take from the wood

Back