Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
just get a 1 month license to get u started till you figure out a better way ! bali allows them

Dunaden

Nov 18, 2012
Noosa Heads
just get a 1 month license to get u started till you figure out a better way ! bali allows them
What do you mean Smoke? Where from? Earlier posts have said I need an IDP with the Motor bike box "ticked"? :( I don't have a motor bike license in Aus? But I have my own scooter as its only 50cc.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
in Bali you can get a 1 month or a 30 day scooter license as a tourist . From what I understand you can keep getting them each month

I believe most police stations do it , if not in denspar then. do a forum search on it as thats is where I learned about it b4 I get my 1 year sccoter and car international lic here

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
this is the place i went to for it

Sat- Lantas Polresta Denpasar

JL. Gunung Sanghyang No. 110 Denpasar

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Far be it from me to try and incite anyone to break the law but I have to ask you: if you have IDR 50k in you pocket why do you need a driving license here in Bali?

I've been her for 5 years and have only had to go into my pocket 2 or 3 times...

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Last I heard it 200k in sanur for no license and yes they put up road checks also been here a little over 2.5 Months and seen about a dozen checks .That does not include the polise at the corners

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Far be it from me to try and incite anyone to break the law but I have to ask you: if you have IDR 50k in you pocket why do you need a driving license here in Bali?

I've been her for 5 years and have only had to go into my pocket 2 or 3 times...

Well for those who have it there may be the insurance issue. If you have paid for travel/health insurance, then get damaged in a motorcycle accident, it would be frustrating to find the lack of a valid license did you out of your cover.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It may also be worth mentioning that the license you must have to keep your travel/health insurance (in the event of an accident) would have to be from your home country i.e. if you come Bali and have a crash here your insurance company at home will laugh at you if you have ONLY an Indo drivers license for that type of vehicle.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
It may also be worth mentioning that the license you must have to keep your travel/health insurance (in the event of an accident) would have to be from your home country i.e. if you come Bali and have a crash here your insurance company at home will laugh at you if you have ONLY an Indo drivers license for that type of vehicle.
This depends on the insurance company, Mark. Some policies state, "you must have a valid licence from your home country" and others say, "you must have a valid licence in the country you are driving/riding".

From Travel Insurance Direct's Product Disclosure Statement:
"We will not pay for any of the following:
18. If you, your close relative or member of your travelling party:
(f) rides a motor cycle (except as a pillion passenger) without a licence that is valid in the relevant country;"

From 1Cover's Product Disclosure Statement:
"We will not pay under any circumstances if:
9. Your claim arises from being in control of a Motorcycle without a current Australian motorcycle licence or you are a passenger travelling on a Motorcycle that is in the control of a person who does not hold a current motorcycle licence valid for the country you are travelling in."

It's important to read the fine print, especially the General Exclusions section, before taking out a policy.

bundyrum

Jun 16, 2013
to get your international licence you have to show your state licence..so you only should show yer inter licence..but my United nation licence is good for me..cheers..

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Matsaleh I, personally, would not want to risk my fortune and health on the goodwill of any insurance company hence my blanket statement to all I know "Do not ride a motorbike in Bali" it is not good for anyone's health, fun yes, healthy, no!

"We will not pay under any circumstances if:
9. Your claim arises from being in control of a Motorcycle without a current Australian motorcycle licence or you are a passenger travelling on a Motorcycle that is in the control of a person who does not hold a current motorcycle licence valid for the country you are travelling in."

So if you jump on someone's motorbike with them driving you need to see a valid drivers license first and get a copy just in case there's an accident.

As a side note the company doesn't seem to be able to spell "license" either...

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
... "We will not pay under any circumstances if:

So if you jump on someone's motorbike with them driving you need to see a valid drivers license first and get a copy just in case there's an accident.
I guess you do. :grief:

As a side note the company doesn't seem to be able to spell "license" either...
ONLY in America is "licence" spelled with an "s". For the rest of us in the English speaking world (United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Falkland Islands, India to name a few), it's spelled with a "c".

bundyrum

Jun 16, 2013
riding a m/bike is great fun..even better half pissed...but u do have idiots..that can't ride..I am always stopping and picking people up off the road.not using blinkers is a big problem...cheers big ears..my wife has narcolepsy...so she fell asleep on the bike i got her..so no more bike for her..wounds healing up..bike sold for 3 mill.

bundyrum

Jun 16, 2013
Also with travel insurance...read it..you will see most don't cover u if your bike is over..110..or 120 cc....any1 got a couple scooters for sale..I want to rent them to all the bloody Russians down my way..