Free speech and the internet

Oh goodness, I think Markit is right, throw it to the hounds! I hope you didn't have to go to the hospital after eating that! It was a good idea though?

I, just want to thank everyone for their intelligent input! I just want to say as an American, What our government does, doesn't represent the majority of Americans! Most of us, want a better world for all! It is time to stop judging countries based on a few power hungry maniacs, that are in control! Om Shanti, Shanti Om!

I, just want to thank everyone for their intelligent input! I just want to say as an American, What our government does, doesn't represent the majority of Americans! Most of us, want a better world for all! It is time to stop judging countries based on a few power hungry maniacs, that are in control! Om Shanti, Shanti Om!
The American dream is long gone.....

Only Mexicans, columbians, Venezuelian immigrants continue to fall for it !

"what did I do wrong?" where to start?
1) non-stick pan
2) make a rue, not boil the dough
3) maybe slowly fry the rue until it gets brown on one side?
4) maybe add filling then fold over?
5) maybe then throw the whole mess down for the dog and go to the warung?
1) non-stick pan We are now told that the non stick layer is toxic
2) make a rue, not boil the dough The whole point of the recipe instructions were to cook the dough in boiling water.
3) maybe slowly fry the rue until it gets brown on one side? It all started falling apart as soon as I went to turn the pieces over in the frying pan.
4) maybe add filling then fold over? Well, maybe but there won't be a next time.
5) maybe then throw the whole mess down for the dog and go to the warung? My grandmother went through the depression years and always told me to never waste food. It didn't taste so bad. Next night I cooked a bit of cabbage and a small tomato and then put the leftover experiment in to soften the hard bits and that worked okay.

As you might gather from my general absence from the food threads I make no claim to groumet cooking. I have a few basic meals that I prepare but as a vegetarian these would not be of interest to most of you. With all that I hope my Experiment brought a smile and a tiny ray of sunshine into your lives.
1713062256634.png

I
As you might gather from my general absence from the food threads I make no claim to groumet cooking. I have a few basic meals that I prepare but as a vegetarian these would not be of interest to most of you. With all that I hope my Experiment brought a smile and a tiny ray of sunshine into your lives.
View attachment 4090
I do enjoy everyone's input on food. It's a nice non political subject we can all share. I went looking for some good cheeses at Pepito's in Ubud last week and was very disappointed. Not much variety, a lot of cheddar, a little Gouda, Parmasan, and that was it. All the ones Balifrog mentions were not there. I guess If I want a nice selection, I will have to go down to the Grand Lucky in Kuta. The problem with that, is it's quite far from here, and I would have to pay a lot for transport. Maybe someday. One is for sure, after watching cooking shows of Japan, I would love to dive into a delicious Wagyu steak! The beef available here is like boot leather. Even the stuff here from Australia. They must send Indonesia, their worst quality, they don't want. I wish the foods from Japan, and Thailand had made it down here. I would love, a nice Green curry with shrimp! It seems since there is not any good quality food available here. The people here, don't know what tasty food is! I am getting tired of Nasi Campur, and Goreng, cooked in Palm oil!
Much of the food available in the Supermarkets, is so full of chemicals, additives, preservatives, and imitation ingredients, It's not even fit for Human consumption. This is a crime in my opinion!
I do have a small garden, but there has been so much rain, my plants are getting moldy and sick. I will have to rip it all out and start fresh, when the dry season comes!
Keep the food posts coming!

I

I do enjoy everyone's input on food. It's a nice non political subject we can all share. I went looking for some good cheeses at Pepito's in Ubud last week and was very disappointed. Not much variety, a lot of cheddar, a little Gouda, Parmasan, and that was it. All the ones Balifrog mentions were not there. I guess If I want a nice selection, I will have to go down to the Grand Lucky in Kuta. The problem with that, is it's quite far from here, and I would have to pay a lot for transport. Maybe someday. One is for sure, after watching cooking shows of Japan, I would love to dive into a delicious Wagyu steak! The beef available here is like boot leather. Even the stuff here from Australia. They must send Indonesia, their worst quality, they don't want. I wish the foods from Japan, and Thailand had made it down here. I would love, a nice Green curry with shrimp! It seems since there is not any good quality food available here. The people here, don't know what tasty food is! I am getting tired of Nasi Campur, and Goreng, cooked in Palm oil!
Much of the food available in the Supermarkets, is so full of chemicals, additives, preservatives, and imitation ingredients, It's not even fit for Human consumption. This is a crime in my opinion!
I do have a small garden, but there has been so much rain, my plants are getting moldy and sick. I will have to rip it all out and start fresh, when the dry season comes!
Availability of food (Western restaurants and supermarkets carrying Western food) weigthed a lot in my decision to choose Sanur.
At that time we didn't have Grand Lucky yet, but Carrefour in Kuta was not too far away (around 120k round trip, doable every 2 weeks).

I

The simple solution is to buy the raw materials at your local market and learn to cook. You are retired and have oodles of time on your hands, I'm sure. I found the available raw materials here are great for Mexican food - tacos can be bought online or they have them for sale in DPS and everything else is here to be had. An hour cooking is like therapy for me (yeah, right?) and the results can be seen in my waistline.

The simple solution is to buy the raw materials at your local market and learn to cook. You are retired and have oodles of time on your hands, I'm sure. I found the available raw materials here are great for Mexican food - tacos can be bought online or they have them for sale in DPS and everything else is here to be had. An hour cooking is like therapy for me (yeah, right?) and the results can be seen in my waistline.
Sure plenty stuff available here. Local and imported.

Of course it depends what you want to cook, local stuff or Western cuisine.
Meat is a bit of a problem, you can't find veal here. And when you find some, it is usually red, not the white "milk veal" we use in France.
And the way the meat is cut here...

Fruit, except for the local ones is of very poor quality. Cherry, strawberries, apricots, peaches are all.poor quality and horrible prices. You can find local grown strawberries, but 80% of the time they are sour or tasteless. Not even suitable for jam.

But let's say globally you can eat European / French without problem (c/f the food tread)

There are several guys making locally French cheese,, not bad at all. The 2 French restaurants I go, both source from them.

Cooking is fun when the Missus is at home, but alone it is a real pain....

I was wondering why there is such little interest in seafood in Bali? I don't understand how countries like Korea and Japan seem to use fish, seaweed, oysters, clams, squid, etc. in their diet there. I love seaweed in all forms, from Nori for sushi, to Kombu for Dashi. It's such a vitamin, mineral rich source of food! Can anyone explain why here in Bali, it's so uncommon? I know that most people, aren't used to refrigeration, but they do have ice, and could easily transport it fresh daily to all the various markets, the same as vegetables from Bedegul, chicken from the farms, eggs from the producers, on and on? Is it because they are stuck in tradition? Now there are refrigerated trucks, ice, coolers. So using an excuse that in the old days, people only near the Ocean eat fish, and people in the mountains only eat chickens. Why is Pork so expensive? It is cheap in America! Why is the beef here so tough? Why not, more Goat meat available at stores and markets? I know it's too hot for sheep. But all the other things could be made available if people wanted them.

From what I've seen and heard, from Balinese people, they don't seem to have much imagination, when it comes to food. When I ask about this subject, they say We don't do that. Like all the people here, do the same, think the same, eat the same. If I ask about something they are unfamiliar with, they will say I don't like that. I ask, have you tried it, and they say No. I will say, How do know you don't like it, if you've never tried it. I get a blank look on their face! Back to Seafood, Please!

From what I've seen and heard, from Balinese people, they don't seem to have much imagination, when it comes to food. When I ask about this subject, they say We don't do that. Like all the people here, do the same, think the same, eat the same. If I ask about something they are unfamiliar with, they will say I don't like that. I ask, have you tried it, and they say No. I will say, How do know you don't like it, if you've never tried it. I get a blank look on their face! Back to Seafood, Please
Spot on.
IMO due to the education system ?

Met a girl some.time ago, half Borneo / half bule, very good English, told me she went to Aussie school in Borneo (? ?).. Maybe 28y old

Told her I am going to a French restaurant. Her answer "What kind of food they serve there ?"

OK, Game over for me ! Next one please !

I was wondering why there is such little interest in seafood in Bali? Do you also compare Mexico to America? Wonder why more Mexican don't eat Wagyu beef? You can't compare S. Korea or Japan with Indonesia mate they just are worlds apart or do they all look the same to you? I don't understand how countries like Korea and Japan seem to use fish, seaweed, oysters, clams, squid,all available here too - best indication was during the pandemic when the cruise ships didn't restock here and all the hotels and restos were closed we couldn't move for first rate offers of clams/fish/delicacies like asparagus. It's all still there just go on FB Marketplace and ask for them. etc. in their diet there. I love seaweed in all forms, from Nori for sushi, to Kombu for Dashi. It's such a vitamin, mineral rich source of food! Can anyone explain why here in Bali, it's so uncommon? I know that most people, aren't used to refrigeration, but they do have ice, and could easily transport it fresh daily to all the various markets, the same as vegetables from Bedegul, chicken from the farms, eggs from the producers, on and on? Is it because they are stuck in tradition? Now there are refrigerated trucks, ice, coolers. So using an excuse that in the old days, people only near the Ocean eat fish, and people in the mountains only eat chickens. Why is Pork so expensive? It is cheap in America! Why is the beef here so tough? Why not, more Goat meat available at stores and markets? I know it's too hot for sheep. But all the other things could be made available if people wanted them. How long have you actually lived on the island?

From what I've seen and heard, from Balinese people, they don't seem to have much imagination, when it comes to food. When I ask about this subject, they say We don't do that. Like all the people here, do the same, think the same, eat the same. If I ask about something they are unfamiliar with, they will say I don't like that. I ask, have you tried it, and they say No. I will say, How do know you don't like it, if you've never tried it. I get a blank look on their face! Back to Seafood, Please! The Balinese are priced out of the specialty market in their own lands by the tourists depth of pockets - the locals simply can't afford to eat like we do. My staff spend a week what my wife and I spend a day on food and we by only local stuff.

"he Balinese are priced out of the specialty market in their own lands by the tourists depth of pockets - the locals simply can't afford to eat like we do. My staff spend a week what my wife and I spend a day on food and we by only local stuff."

Yep, true.... but same everywhere.....
They just look at us like "rich people"

When you pay a 500k restaurant bill to a staff that earns 2500 k ....

Anyway, their food being very basic they dont really understand why we spend money on it !
Took some time for the Missus to appreciate the difference between shiite and gastronomy.

"he Balinese are priced out of the specialty market in their own lands by the tourists depth of pockets - the locals simply can't afford to eat like we do. My staff spend a week what my wife and I spend a day on food and we by only local stuff."

Yep, true.... but same everywhere.....
They just look at us like "rich people"

When you pay a 500k restaurant bill to a staff that earns 2500 k ....

Anyway, their food being very basic they dont really understand why we spend money on it !
Took some time for the Missus to appreciate the difference between shiite and gastronomy.
Yea, you're right about the money difference, but a fish, or some seaweed is local, and should not be considered a speciality food! Are these foods considered speciality foods in Korea, and Japan? Food from the Ocean seems to be a common food in those countries! It seems to me, that People here, are just stuck in what their familiar with. Not long ago, I discovered that stinging nettles grows here! So I asked my friend to bring me some plants with soil. He brought some yesterday, and I planted them in a pot. I trimmed a few leaves off, steamed them and they were delicious! I suggested to him to give them a try, and cook them himself, and don't tell the family, and give them some to eat, with a little salt, pepper, and a dash of oil and vinegar. I don't think they use vinegar, and I know they can't afford Olive Oil. But maybe he'll give them a try. I doubt it though!

This may give you a laugh.

I saw this recipe on the internet:
"Just pour flour into the boiling water! I no longer shop in stores! Easy and tastyDefinitely try this famous recipe! It's incredibly easy and delicious! Crispy so delicious! Everyone who eats it will want the recipe! Waiting for likes and comments Ingredients needed for the recipe 3 glasses of water (600 ml) 2 glasses of flour ( 240 g ) 1 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon of butter or oil 150 g feta cheese some parsley some paprika Plenty of cooking oil for frying."

After cooking the flour in the boiling water for ten minutes I then kneaded the dough and, per instructions, made small round pats, lay filling, covered with another pat and then fried

What did I do wrong? I finished up with an incredibly sticky mess that defied being patted into the nice shapes as shown in the video. I tried nonetheless and the final result was a shapeless mass of over cooked fillings and blobs of oily dough some hard and some probably undercooked. I ate it anway. My wife is away but I won't try when she comes home.

View attachment 4088View attachment 4089
I ran across this in my frivolous, time wasting this evening and wondered if this is what you were trying to make? https://fb.watch/rvB3_1jxcn/

I ran across this in my frivolous, time wasting this evening and wondered if this is what you were trying to make? https://fb.watch/rvB3_1jxcn/
Similar but the one I followed was not the samosa shape. A bowl was used to make round pattis but instead of folding over, another patti was placed on the top to produce round shapes. But still not sure why I had a great sticky mass. Too much water? Not enough kneading? My dough stuck to my fingers and defied being made into the nice smooth shapes shown in the videos.

This looks delicious, but it's a crime to charge so much $ for Wagyu beef! After all, it's just some nice fatty beef! That's the problem with this world now. What should available to all, is now only for the rich! Seafood is not a luxury either. It is basic food, that should be for all! It's only because of people being greedy, and over harvesting, such basic foods, that the cost is like this! When there are people starving in this world, I can't support this system of the rich being gluttonous, and the poor having little to nothing!

This looks delicious, but it's a crime to charge so much $ for Wagyu beef! After all, it's just some nice fatty beef! That's the problem with this world now. What should available to all, is now only for the rich! Seafood is not a luxury either. It is basic food, that should be for all! It's only because of people being greedy, and over harvesting, such basic foods, that the cost is like this! When there are people starving in this world, I can't support this system of the rich being gluttonous, and the poor having little to nothing!
Completely agreed !

Completely agreed !
Thank you Balifrog, for saying that. There was a time, off of the coast of Eastern America, that the Oysters and Lobsters were so plentiful, they were considered poor peoples food. This was food for inmates at the prisons! Somehow the rich people started eating them, and shipping became easier, so the seafood started getting shipped far and wide. Soon it became over harvested and thus became hard to find, so then became a luxury item! The same happened to all the forest. There was a bird called the passenger pigeon, were so abundant they filled the skies for as far as the eye could see! With over harvesting and wanton killing, they became Extinct! All of this happened in an unbelievable short time, after the White invaders came from Europe!

People thought, such an abundance would last forever! Maybe there is hope now? There are people aware of this, and trying to make a change. I can only hope, they can make a difference, and by some miracle, Humans will change! I personally doubt it's possible? As I said, I hope I'm wrong, and we can enjoy all this good food for a long time to come!

Back