Donna

Feb 6, 2008
Bali
i read it an thought 'what a sucker'

to be honest, i really didnt enjoy the Bali chapter of the book. i found the whole book to be self indulgent and i think that the author was sucked in by the 'medicine woman' in ubud.

good for her for 'finding herself' and i really enjoyed the India chapter, but the book as a whole didnt really do it for me. will i watch the movie when it comes out? yes, i will. out of curiosity and because it was filmed partly here.

dedoo

Jun 5, 2010
I met Ibu Liz several times back in when she met Jose from Brazil. I was then driving for a tamu here who went to Puri Asri in Petulu many times. That is where they met and Ba Pak Stefan cooked them a special Brazil meal.

The book is called non fiction, but there are many stories of imagination in this book.

toucan

Feb 24, 2008
I have to say I didn't think that much of the book either, it certainly didn't live up to what I anticipated. I will watch the movie, but only when I can get a cheap copy.

rennytasker

Jan 6, 2010
ketut

Any one ready Eat Pray Love and fall in love with Bali in the book?

Hi
I have read the book and hope to see the film too
I met up with ketut in June lovely soul and i will be coming to Bali on a more permanent basis and hope to learn some healing and meditation ideas from him
I love UBUD and the surrounds

Renny

dedoo

Jun 5, 2010
Many more new balians and yoga guru in Ubud are awaiting the arrival of thousands after the movie release in August.

Be sure to ask for the harga Bali price.

Two days ago I saw a tamu wearing a tee shirt that said Eat, Pay, Leave. :icon_lol:

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Many more new balians and yoga guru in Ubud are awaiting the arrival of thousands after the movie release in August.

Be sure to ask for the harga Bali price.

Two days ago I saw a tamu wearing a tee shirt that said Eat, Pay, Leave. :icon_lol:

Dedoo, that shirt is for sale at Nuri's Warung. I thought it was funny.

We only live a couple of doors down from Ketut Liyer so after we moved in I re-read the Bali section of the E,P,L book. The people around here seem to think he isn't quite for real and is more interested in the money he can earn.

But having said that, I did enjoy reading the book and I'm sure I'll also enjoy the movie. I'm quite happy to wallow in warm fuzzies (even without the magic mushrooms) especially in a movie but even in a book. I want happy endings in books and movies.

Hopefully I won't end up as one of those women gliding down Monkey Forest Road carefully avoiding eye contact with fellow bules because she is getting in touch with her inner Balinese self.

dedoo

Jun 5, 2010
Reading some of your posts I don’t think you have to worry too much.

Some expats who know Ba Pak Stefan have told me they were upset he was slighted in the book.

To be honest I only read the Bali section but I know for certain that section is not non fiction.

But yes, I like happy endings too! :icon_e_smile:

Jesse

Feb 16, 2010
Melbourne
I like it more as a literature rather than a good story.
I'll just wait for the DVD to come out than watch it on big screen.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Just read it ...

I got hold of an ebook copy and have just finished it - really enjoyed it, she writes well and you go along for the ride with her. She has a belief in "a God" of some sort - but you don't need to share this belief to enjoy the account of her journey. Dedoo says
The book is called non fiction, but there are many stories of imagination in this book.
and I think this nails it. She did do the 12 months travel which is the basis of the book, but she also is a writer who knows how to make a good story - so there is no need to believe every anecdote literally happened to her - just enjoy the story.

Donna says
i think that the author was sucked in by the 'medicine woman' in ubud.
With this story of becoming a close friend with Wayan, then deciding to help with money, then getting worried she is being used - she conveys so well the Bali experience many Westerners meet. Of course, like all of the book this story has a "happy" ending - where many other stories we hear are not so happy.

I noted a few bits wehre the "facts" are not quite right. For example:
Gili Meno Island was my ultimate truth and reconciliation hearing. I had chosen the right place to do this—that much was clear. The island itself is tiny, pristine, sandy, blue water, palm trees. It’s a perfect circle with a single path that goes around it, and you can walk the whole circumference in about an hour. It’s located almost exactly on the equator, and so there’s a changelessness about its daily cycles.
But Lombok is like Bali more than 8 degrees south - so by no stretch of imagination is it "almost exactly on the equator".

Then this bit
We hang out one day along the long southern California–style groovy white sand surf of Kuta, then head up to the sinister black rocky beauty of the west coast, then we pass that invisible Balinese dividing line over which regular tourists never seem to go, up to the wild beaches of the north coast where only the surfers dare to tread (and only the crazy ones, at that). We sit on the beach and watch the dangerous waves, watch the lean brown and white Indonesian and Western surf-cats slice across the water like zippers ripping open the backs of the ocean’s blue party dress. We watch the surfers wipe out with bone-breaking hubris against the coral and rocks, only to go back out again to surf another wave, and we gasp and say, “Dude, that is totally MESSED UP.
These "wild beaches" with "dangerous waves" on the north coast?? Maybe they found remote beaches on the west end of the south coast and then got mixed up.

She also says
This ceremony today was held at the house of one of Ketut’s neighbors. The baby in question was a girl, already nicknamed Putu.
Earlier she had described the naming systems with Wayan, Made, Nyoman, and Ketut - and mentioned how nicknames help to sort things out. Here she seems to think Putu is a nickname rather that a firstborn.

Finally, here is her description of expats
But it seems to me that everyone I meet here used to be something once (generally “married” or “employed”); now they are all united by the absence of the one thing they seem to have surrendered completely and forever: ambition. Needless to say, there’s a lot of drinking.

Is that us?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Julia Roberts converts to Hindu alfter Bali

I just came across this - (maybe everyone else has already heard and I was just not listening) - but anyway:
While filming the movie version of the bestseller "Eat, Pray and Love" in Ubud, Bali, and India, actress Julia Roberts fell in love with the Hindu religion, and soon after converted, now living her life according to ancient Hindu scriptures....

Read the full story here
Julia Roberts: Bali Connection

Rob

Sep 8, 2010
u.s.a.
Julia Roberts converts to Hinduism after Bali

Good for her! I hope her story instills more religious tolerance in people here in America.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I finally got to see the film “Eat Pray Love.” First, I must confess that I usually detest Hollywood movies, but this past Sunday, I was in a mood to just be entertained and I was, well, almost…

The first part sets up Liz's (Julia Robert) predicament, which is that of a very confused, shallow New Yorker woman, entering her mid-life crisis. She dumps her husband and starts a half-a ss affair with a guy, whom she also dumps.

In the second part, Liz goes to Italy, and that was IMHO the best part of the film. It feels a bit as a travelogue, with pretty scenery, pleasant people, and beautiful food.

Liz gets to India in the third part, with no beautiful food, pretty scenery, or pleasant people (although India is certainly one of the most spectacular countries I have ever visited). We're supposed to understand, as we get even more close-ups of Roberts, that the travel is now inward, the spiritual journey of self-discovery of a bored, middle-aged American woman,. And the ashram looks like the stereotype of a business rip-off created especially for women like Liz.

At the ashram, Liz meets this young Indian girl who is being forced into a pre-arranged marriage. I would have expected feminist-Liz to go ballistic, but far from it, she just tell the poor young girl, " Buck up, it’ll be okay."

Finally, we get to the fourth and final part: Bali, the one I was waiting for. Unfortunately, it did not get better. I was curious to see Ubud again, which I have not seen since almost 3 years (time goes fast), but, as far as I am concerned, this part of the film could have been made in any of the five star hotels in Bali. It really hit bottom with more platitudes and clichés: what a disappointment. :icon_cry:

I must have totally missed the whole message of the film. I thought it would have been that Julia Roberts, like Ellen Burstyn in “Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore” or Jill Clayburgh in “An Unmarried Woman," before her, would not have needed a man to complement her. But one could see all along that Liz had the need of a man, so I should have seen the romantic ending coming…Maybe my attention span is getting shorter?:icon_rolleyes:

Julia Roberts save the film, however. She must have been on screen for at least 95% of the duration of the film, and just for that I tip my hat to her. Besides, she is pleasant to look at, with her big mouth full of teeth. She pulls the whole story, and when the going gets rough, she just smiles and giggles, and tidak apa-apa...

Kura Kura

Feb 26, 2010
The movie is getting absolutely caned by the critics. Heard one reviewer online the other day mention that the author wrote the book before she'd actually travelled to the places in the book. Basically used the publishing deal to fund the trip.

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
I wouldn't believe everything you hear, I would be surprised if that was true considering characters in the book are actually real people. How are you suppose to write about someone if you've never meet them.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
The truth of the matter is that the author had a book contract with an editor BEFORE leaving on her trip, but nothing was written beforehand.

hazman

Mar 8, 2010
just back from premiere EAT, PRAY, and LOVE at mal bali galeria planet hollywood...

hmmm, to be honest...the movie too long, hehe..and the bali session, i don't feel a very strong bali culture in the movie... the italy session better, the music, the museum, the food, i can feel it.. the india session also give a strong indian culture, especially when the wedding ceremony in indian...but in bali, it didn't show the bali too much.. where's the beach? padang2 beach only shown not more than 1 minute.. even the background music is a latin music (cmiiw)..

well, the story is about liz gilbert of course, quite heavy to watch..still, can't feel the bali session