bevan

Oct 26, 2010
what is the best drinking water in Bali? from water company

I'm sure some companies just fill up from the taps like everywhere else in the world but what companies actually have clean filtered water.

We will be living in Bali with baby so clean water a must for baby drinking.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Bevan, finding good drinking water is easy and won't be a problem. Aqua is the brand that is most common and it tastes good. At home there are usually dispensers that hold large bottles of Aqua (perhaps 20L size). The smaller carry-size bottles of Aqua are everywhere.

bevan

Oct 26, 2010
Thanks Pollyanna

I have just done a balipod search around drinking water. can someone please tell me what is PDAM?
I see most expats use a combination of well water, PDAM?? and bottled water.
What is the approxiamte cost of a 20L as I imagine we will be going through quite a bit.
Cheers

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
PDAM is "Perusahaan Daerah Air Minum" in Indonesian and is the local governement owned water utility.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Don't remember whether it was around 30 or 60 thousands Rp for a large (19L actually) bottle, but after you have an empty bottle you exchange it for a full one just for 11-13 thousand.

Our local warung sells the refill for 10.5 thousand. You can buy the ultra filtered stuff [which is tasteless] for 4 thousand + a refill.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Bevan echoes a fear that many people must wonder about - was it filled up from the tap. So when you select your supplier it is a matter of trust.

Aqua brand is a big business built on this trust, so if there were to be any scandal that suggested they were taking shortcuts, their sales would plummet. Not long back they redesigned the plastic seals on the 19L bottles (commonly called gallons) to make them more tamper-proof. So I think they are very conscious of this trust issue.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I have never had any fear in drinking water in Indonesia and I have travelled from one end to the other. All people boil their water including Air Leding (PDAM). Bottled water only started to be used around 15 years ago.

It is only because bottled water is so cheap that almost all expats and middle class Indonesias use it. If you really want to be aboslutely sure put PDAM water through a filter and bring to a rolling boil for 15 minutes. After that you should have no problems with either the water or trusting others.

bevan

Oct 26, 2010
Thanks to all who replied. Ronb that is exactly the answer I was looking for. As anyone who has travelled knows there are many dodgy companies out there cashing in on the water business. At least now I know Aqua is a credible source. Cheers

Bevan