Kiwiana34

Apr 23, 2014
Hi folks,

In May I'm going to be in Ubud doing a yoga retreat. While in Bali I was also thinking of visiting some English language schools, with a view to applying for a position teaching English on the Island and staying longer term. I've heard that competition for ESL jobs in Bali is pretty fierce and conditions for teachers generally not so good. Can anybody comment on what the ESL scene in Bali is like at the moment, and which schools might be worth approaching? I have some information from English First Bali and was going to apply there in the first instance.

I'm a New Zealander with Bachelor's degree, CELTA and experience teaching adults & children in NZ, Australia, Japan and Cambodia. Any advice appreciated.
:lemo:

Many thanks,
Amy

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The "nice" advise - forget it - there are thousands and thousands of kids from all over that want to teach English here. It's illegal to work here and if you do get a job they are poorly paid, badly controlled and you will get sms messages from the direction not to come to work today as the immigration are there and you don't have that visa yet, and probably never will.

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
take a look at the after effect of the paedophillia case in JIS kindergarten school Jakarta lately, the first people who gets the "shock therapy" was the foreign teachers not the school :black_eyed:

"there are thousands and thousands of kids from all over that want to teach English here"
I m ready to accept one out of this thousand for June to provide English language lessons to my children and nephew 12-15 yo and probably to children of my staff.
Just read some volunteer offers in the internet and discovered for my self that to teach English as volunteer they have to pay for this right...)
Therefore, have an idea to find someone for whom english is a native language, who would be ready to make it free of charge, only for accommodation in north bali village Bondalem.
If there is someone interested please send SV to bondalembc@gmail.com