Dengue epidemic in Bali

spicyayam

This is the first report I have seen in the press about dengue fever in Bali, even though I have been hearing plenty of people being affected by it, where I live.

The Bali Health Agency is anticipating a sharp increase in dengue fever cases over the next two months.

Agency head Nyoman Sutedja said Tuesday the number of dengue cases on the holiday island was fluctuating, but warned of an explosion of cases in coming months.

“We predict the dengue epidemic will reach its peak between April and May because of changing weather. Therefore, we call on residents to remain alert by maintaining their health and the environment,” Sutedja said.

According to agency data, Bali saw approximately 1,600 cases of dengue in the first three months of this year.

On Tuesday, 148 patients with dengue were being treated at Sanglah Hospital in Denpasar, down from 152 the previous day.

Source: Jakarta Post

How to prevent getting dengue fever:

From medicinenet:

Wear long pants and long sleeves. For personal protection, use mosquito repellant sprays that contain DEET when visiting places where dengue is endemic. Limiting exposure to mosquitoes by avoiding standing water and staying indoors two hours after sunrise and before sunset will help. The Aedes aegypti mosquito is a daytime biter with peak periods of biting around sunrise and sunset. It may bite at any time of the day and is often hidden inside homes or other dwellings, especially in urban areas.

Last edited:
Oh God! That's really an alarming rate.
Might be unsafe to go to crowded places especially to the affected places. Very common in the tropics but in this case I'll rather use a mosquito repellant even though it's too uncomfortable for me as it is too sticky to boot.

Unfortunately dengue ruined the last 2 weeks of my holiday as well.

I spend 4 days in the hospital where they found out I had dengue and typhus at the same time!

I haven't had it yet...luckily. However, a friend has had it twice in 2 years, next door neighbor once. 2 days ago I was in the surf and mentioned the current increase in Dengue. 3 guys had already had it and a husband and wife both had it @ 2 weeks ago. So, even among my small circle of friends, it is sure prevalent.

Unfortunately dengue ruined the last 2 weeks of my holiday as well.

I spend 4 days in the hospital where they found out I had dengue and typhus at the same time!

Wow! Talking about bad luck...Hope you came through OK, and it's now just a bad memory.

Mimpimanis recently had dengue

:icon_sad:
Anybody knows how Mimpimanis is? is she already recovert?
Since a few weeks I was just wondering what happen to her and why she was not posting anymore..........not nice to know that is the reason:icon_cry:
Me and my husband got dengue in 2005 as well, when we were at Sanglah Hospital with our little girl who was in the incubator.......

I think you will find that Mimpi is fine now, she has friends over so probably too busy to post :icon_biggrin:

Yes I am fine thank you. I actually had dengue in over New Year 2009. Was in Kasih Ibu for a very expensive three nights. As Goldminer says I have friends over at the moment so am pretty busy at the moment which is why I havent been on so much :icon_biggrin:

Im comming over in 2 weeks for a few days,the girl im staying with has jyst had it.Is there much i can do to prevent it?

Im comming over in 2 weeks for a few days,the girl im staying with has jyst had it.Is there much i can do to prevent it?

It sounds corny but the best thing to do and the only secure way to avoid Dengue OR Malaria is not to get bitten

If you're just here for a few days or a week... use a strong DEET repellant.. bring it from home

2 days or even a week of DEET is nothing compared to Dengue

Put the repellent on when you're still naked after your shower and then spray your clothes as well once youre dressed. Dont wear perfume as it attracts mosquitoes

That will make you very unappealing to mosquitoes (also take care of your sleeping living area... bit of spray and maybe some essential oil burning to repel them from the area)

The Dengue Mosquito mostly bites during the daytime (dawn for a few hours and dusk for a few more) but can bite any time of day if its trapped in a room thats been left open and then you go in there to sleep later

If Ive left my bedroom open during the day, I spray the room an hour before I go in and shut all the doors (under teh bed etc...) By the time I go in the smell is gone and any mozzies are dead

But just make sure you wear repellant, and remember in the daytime you will sweat it off too so re apply around 2-3pm in anticipation of the evening Dengue mosquito that surface late afternoon early evening

People all around my area (and I'm in Seminyak so hardly the boonies) have got/had Dengue recently, so while I normally use an organic repellent... this time of year when its most prevalent, Ive switched to a strong DEET one for the time being

Its not something that needs to be done year round, but right now it seems to be everywhere so just don't get bitten

A little prevention will go a long way

I also have an oil diffuser (ie ceeramic with a tealight candle) & I burn a combination of Lemongrass and Citronella essential oils... it smells stunning and mozzies absolutely HATE it

Regards
N

It sounds corny but the best thing to do and the only secure way to avoid Dengue OR Malaria is not to get bitten

If you're just here for a few days or a week... use a strong DEET repellant.. bring it from home

2 days or even a week of DEET is nothing compared to Dengue

Put the repellent on when you're still naked after your shower and then spray your clothes as well once youre dressed. Dont wear perfume as it attracts mosquitoes

That will make you very unappealing to mosquitoes (also take care of your sleeping living area... bit of spray and maybe some essential oil burning to repel them from the area)

The Dengue Mosquito mostly bites during the daytime (dawn for a few hours and dusk for a few more) but can bite any time of day if its trapped in a room thats been left open and then you go in there to sleep later

If Ive left my bedroom open during the day, I spray the room an hour before I go in and shut all the doors (under teh bed etc...) By the time I go in the smell is gone and any mozzies are dead

But just make sure you wear repellant, and remember in the daytime you will sweat it off too so re apply around 2-3pm in anticipation of the evening Dengue mosquito that surface late afternoon early evening

People all around my area (and I'm in Seminyak so hardly the boonies) have got/had Dengue recently, so while I normally use an organic repellent... this time of year when its most prevalent, Ive switched to a strong DEET one for the time being

Its not something that needs to be done year round, but right now it seems to be everywhere so just don't get bitten

A little prevention will go a long way

I also have an oil diffuser (ie ceeramic with a tealight candle) & I burn a combination of Lemongrass and Citronella essential oils... it smells stunning and mozzies absolutely HATE it

Regards
N

can someone maybe help me ?

I had denque last year and managed to go throughi it without going to a hospital( blood checks every day and staying at home).

now since 4 days, i have similar symptoms( intensive headache, heavy eyes- its hard to keep them open, bone pain, feeling weak like i always want to lie down and having an intensive dizzy feeling when i walk around, like i knock out soon..., BUT NO FEVER)

Blood tests have been ok, doc said it only shows a virus, possible from a mosquito bite, but i did not get any medicine except some energy drinks, saying that there is nothing agains a virus, you have to wait and can only release the symptoms( like headache with panadol etc.)

Did anyone made a similar experience lately? i am a little bit worried as i don't know what it is.....

Thanks so much.
leandra

Personally I would get retested somewhere else as it does sound like dengue and there is so much around at the moment. Dengue can be more serious second time around from what I have read so best to be sure.

My guess would be dengue

I had denque last year and managed to go throughi it without going to a hospital( blood checks every day and staying at home).
now since 4 days, i have similar symptoms( intensive headache, heavy eyes- its hard to keep them open, bone pain, feeling weak like i always want to lie down and having an intensive dizzy feeling when i walk around, like i knock out soon..., BUT NO FEVER)

I had it 2 yrs ago and the fever and headaches were not so bad but the bone/joint pain was severe so that I was hobbling around like someone with really severe arthritis. So I think it still could be dengue, the ways the symptoms show up just varies a bit. There are 4 strains and you should now be resistant to the one you had last year. If this is dengue then you will have resistance to 2 of the 4. Wikipedia says
Some cases develop much milder symptoms which can be misdiagnosed as influenza or other viral infection when no rash is present.
See the full article at Dengue fever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The main risk is the complications of hemorrhagic fever and dengue shock syndrome - but only a small proportion of cases get this.

So hopefully, by the 7th day you will be improving. Let us know when you bounce back.

Even the governors are worried about dengue:

Bali administration has taken precaution measures to prevent dengue fever from spoiling a national coordination meeting of governors at the Tampak Siring presidential palace next week.

Host Governor Made Mangku Pastika has ordered the provincial health agency to eradicate mosquito nests and conduct fogging at the palace and Ubud artists' center in Gianyar regency, Antara reported.

Agency head Nyoman Suteja said on Saturday the mosquito nest eradication and palace fogging were carried out to keep participants of the meeting from dengue fever infection.

JP

Leandra - how are you?

I think it is now the 9th day - so hopefully largely recovered.

Back