SuziQ

Aug 16, 2012
Perth, WA
Hi,
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Bali with our children for a year or so and I was wondering if anyone has advice on what sort of visa we'd need to apply for to stay there.
My husband has a business here in Perth but could easily work from anywhere in the world as it's all computer-based work. So he wouldn't be starting up a business in Bali, but would be working from Bali for his Aussie-based business. To get a KITAS, would we need to start up a new company from Bali, or be sponsored by an Indonesian company? Or is there another type of visa we could apply for?
Any advice would be most welcome.
Cheers!

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
hai SuziQ,

it depends on how much money you're willing to spend for your visa.

easiest and cheapest would be a 60-day touristvisa, applied for and issued at your closest Indonesian embassy.
when in Indonesia (Bali) you can extend this visa 4 times..each extension is good for another 30 days..
after these extensions you would have to leave the country, apply again at the embassy and start from scratch (Visa-Run)
imho, forget about starting a company or finding a company who would sponsor you husband for a Kitas with workpermit..both these options are expensive.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I think it worth mentioning that the Tourist Visa is not supposed to be extendable. I know sometimes it is extended, particularly in Bali Immigrasi, but I wouldn't rely on that.

Please see the copy/paste from Perth RI Consul website which is common at most RI Embassy/Consul webpages.....

"TOURIST VISIT VISA (211)
A single entry tourist visa is given to travellers who intend to stay in Indonesia on holiday/leisure purpose with a maximum stay of 60(sixty)days with no renewal."

A Sosbud is extendable but needs a sponsor from Indonesia...some agents will sponsor...for a price

werecoming

Mar 29, 2012
Tasmania
I think it worth mentioning that the Tourist Visa is not supposed to be extendable. I know sometimes it is extended, particularly in Bali Immigrasi, but I wouldn't rely on that.

Please see the copy/paste from Perth RI Consul website which is common at most RI Embassy/Consul webpages.....

"TOURIST VISIT VISA (211)
A single entry tourist visa is given to travellers who intend to stay in Indonesia on holiday/leisure purpose with a maximum stay of 60(sixty)days with no renewal."

A Sosbud is extendable but needs a sponsor from Indonesia...some agents will sponsor...for a price
Davita, to the best of your knowledge can someone keep doing a visa run getting a 60 tourist visa indefinitely? Or do you think the embassy would crack down if you applied for a 60 day visa every 60 days.

We're coming

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Davita, to the best of your knowledge can someone keep doing a visa run getting a 60 tourist visa indefinitely? Or do you think the embassy would crack down if you applied for a 60 day visa every 60 days.

We're coming

I've heard of some that were questioned but never heard of it being refused...maybe others can advise.

I suggest arriving on a tourist visa and, during the first stay, find someone willing to sign the sponsor letter and get a Sosbud visa. This needs a visit to Singapore or KL and return but it can be extended within Indonesia monthly for about 6 months.

Alternatively, if a sponsor is availed now a Sosbud can be issued in Australia and, so long as you enter Indonesia within 90 days, it can be extended for about 6 months.
However, I caution that the sponsor has to have an address in the same area you intend to reside.

Larnes

Jul 28, 2008
In regards to Gilbert's idea - how do you get around needing a copy of return flight ticket? If you are going to extend several times, I wouldn't want to keep changing flights as this would be expensive also - suggestions?

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
and they seem to have stopped asking to see your ticket out of bali at Australian airports (which they always used to do).

back to the original poster - i live in bali, but i am still part of the australian workforce. it's very simple - forget the kitas if you're not working here!. And if you're going to be here for one year, then the sosbud is the way to go. only one visa run needed.

my passport is full of sosbud visas and nobody says anything

cheers, Phil