terryo

i have just recently moved to indonesia and hear that computers and lap tops are very exspensive to fix my last job in new zealand was doing just that last guy i was talking to said he had been quoted 5 million to fix his laptop unfortunetly we met in singapore and did not have his laptop with him so would it be a good idea to set up a computer repair shop in bali your comments would be appreciated my costs would be more realistic if i were to go ahead

You didn't mention the problem the person was having with their laptop. If it was with a major component that needed replacing like the screen, 5 million could be right. There are knowledgeable IT people here, so I am not sure how you would compete, especially since you would have the added cost of getting a work permit and setting up a company. There probably are IT related business opportunities here, but I don't think fixing laptops is one of them in my opinion.

compters

sorry the screen was white whitch tells me is the screen needs replacing new one can be bought from the us the cost is about $80 us including postage takes about a week to arrive takes half a hour to replace so where they can charge 5 mil is beyond me same in nz they will charge up to $4-500 about time people realise they are being ripped of in new zealand if i used a second hand screen would only charge $120 to me it is about making a living not bleeding people dry

not just laptops desk tops spare parts selling second hand laptops and desktops repairing lcd screens selling lcd screens

good idea but i think there are some along the way of Jl Diponegoro, denpasar
first of all, you need to have field observation to see where is potential to open computer repair shop

I have just recently moved to indonesia and hear that computers and lap tops are very expensive to fix. My last job in New Zealand was doing just that. The last guy i was talking to said he had been quoted 5 million to fix his laptop. Unfortunately we met in Singapore and he did not have his laptop with him. So would it be a good idea to set up a computer repair shop in Bali? Your comments would be appreciated. My costs would be more realistic if i were to go ahead.

I took the liberty of adding punctuation to your quote.

Would it be a good idea? No, for the reasons Spicy described and the fact that you would be competing against locals for local business. In my experience, there are plenty of places to get laptops fixed in Bali, and it is not expensive unless you are a tourist and have been quoted tourist prices.

I think you need to do some serious research. Just because somebody paid over the top for a repair doesn't appear to me to be the basis of a sound business case.

I don't understand your last sentence. What costs are you talking about and why would they be more realistic if you were to go ahead? Doesn't make sense, and I have to say, neither does your business idea. You may know how to repair laptops, but do you know how to run a business? It's not the same thing at all.

Good luck.

Depend the brand, last time I replaced my Toshiba laptop screen with new one $ 180 and the keyboard $ 60 including repair fee.
I remember the address at Ruko Sudirman Agung, the end of Sudirman street left side Denpasar, there are also Acer snd toshiba service center.
Or try with Barong komputer, by google search the detail.....

Last edited:
that is more like it realistic charges do you know if there are any expats doing computer repair i used to repair tvs in samoa and found that expats and even the locals prefered to come to me to repair there tvs vcrs etc ended up turning away a lot of customers as i had to mutch to do

what i would like to know if i were to open a repair shop do you think expats would come to me being a westerner as no doubt some expats would have had bad exsperience with the local computer repair shops a coulple of people have aked if i know how to run a business yes i do my last job in new zealand was with a small firm repairing computers etc when i started it was breaking even a year later when i left it was making close to $2000 a week profit i know it is not much but for a small outfit was a big boost

can you buy a decent pie in bali to change the subject for a bit i heard you can buy burgers are they the real Mckoy ir a clone of aussie and kiwi burgers

Terryo, you're more likely to receive replies if you use some punctuation in your posts.

Writing everything in one long sentence is just too difficult to read. I gave up after the second post.:icon_rolleyes:

Terryo, you're more likely to receive replies if you use some punctuation in your posts.

Writing everything in one long sentence is just too difficult to read. I gave up after the second post.:icon_rolleyes:

:applause:
I thought it was me that was having problems reading ......

what i would like to know if i were to open a repair shop do you think expats would come to me being a westerner as no doubt some expats would have had bad exsperience with the local computer repair shops
Maybe, maybe not. It would depend upon how good you are, your prices and location.

Don't forget that some of us have had bad experiences getting our computers fixed in our own countries. I have, (a long time ago), until I learned how to "build" and repair them myself (desk-tops).
I still repair computers sometimes, but I do it for free (unless parts are involved).

There are literally thousands of retail computer outlets in Bali and many of them have their own "technicians". Like anywhere else, they're not all good, but some are excellent by any standards.
If and when I can't be bothered fixing one of my own (or become stumped), I defer to a particular place in Gatsu (Jalan Gatot Subroto).
In more than 15 years, I have always found them to be honest, efficient, never over-charged me for anything and the main guy speaks good English (a bonus).

Personally, I doubt that an expat could realistically set-up a profitable computer repair shop in Bali.
I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

what i would like to know if i were to open a repair shop do you think expats would come to me being a westerner as no doubt some expats would have had bad exsperience with the local computer repair shops a coulple of people have aked if i know how to run a business yes i do my last job in new zealand was with a small firm repairing computers etc when i started it was breaking even a year later when i left it was making close to $2000 a week profit i know it is not much but for a small outfit was a big boost

I have no idea what other expats would do but I have found purchasing, configuring and repairing tech gear to be much cheaper here than other places (Aust, UK etc) due to the tiny margins they work on. My background is in IT so I dont need to get stuff repaired but I have spent time with the guys upstairs at Rimo and they all know what they are doing and they are cheap. I know some other guys who support an office with about 80 PCs so its only a small network but they handle it no worries and fix staff PC's/Laptops on the side and often charge only 50k labour..personally it is not an area that I would look to get into.

thanks for the info,i would say you would be right about getting into repairs etc, was a idea that i had will look into some thing else.something less stressful growing dragonfruit maybe ,have not seen any for sale

Back