j9thekind

Apr 24, 2012
Hi,

I have a sticky KITAS visa situation that I have no idea on how to easily resolve, any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

A month ago, I accepted a job with one employer, and an application for KITAS visa with this employer as my sponsor was submitted. It's currently in the process of being approved, and I was told that I would receive my authorization letter at the end of this month. However, I was just informed that I was hired for a more desirable position with a second employer, who would also sponsor a working visa for me. Any advice on how to go about canceling the visa application for the first potential employer so that I could apply for a visa with the second employer as my sponsor? Is it possible,and if so what would be the most diplomatic (and timely) way of doing so?

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
One question - Did you sign an employment contract with the first employer (I'm assuming yes since this would be part of the KITAS application)? If so, then basically you're asking to be saved from your own commitment. Better ask a lawyer to help you with this. You're lucky that you're in Indonesia though. In the Middle East, where I've worked previously, the aggrieved first employer could file a legal case against you and most certainly have you banned from working for the more 'desirable' employer, or indeed any employer in that country. In Indonesia, you can probably achieve your desired result at the end of the day. I realize that I am pre-judging your circumstances and hope not to come across as too harsh, but then again, when I sign a contract with someone, a deal is a deal, so I'm sorry but I don't have a ton of sympathy. Good luck anyhow.

j9thekind

Apr 24, 2012
It's OK, be harsh:) I understand what you are saying and appreciate the advice. I actually did NOT sign an employment contract with them yet, there was another document I was supposed to send related to my intention to start employment. Do you foresee any possible way to resolve this without difficulty or is it time to call a lawyer?

Last edited:

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
It's OK, be harsh:) I understand what you are saying and appreciate the advice. I actually did NOT sign an employment contract with them yet, there was another document I was supposed to send related to my intention to start employment. Do you foresee any possible way to resolve this without difficulty or is it time to call a lawyer?

You're in the grey area mate, ethically speaking, though from a legal perspective it's better that you didn't sign a contract. In this case, you could just tell them that your circumstances have changed and you won't be accepting employment. Still not nice, not nice at all, but that's life. In terms of whether you can resolve the situation without difficulty, that will depend on the outcome of the communication you need to make (asap, before they incur any more costs) with employer one.

j9thekind

Apr 24, 2012
I understand, and I thank you very much for comments. I feel queasy about this but I'm going to try to be as forthright as possible and hope for the best.