Dec 13, 2009
USA
A friend is considering a land purchase in Cempaga Hills but a local is recommending against due to supposedly unfriendly villagers. Any insight would be appreciated.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I think if you go to Temukus west of Central Lovina, then take the road to Sing Sing Falls and keep going up the hill following one of the roads that will eventually get you to the lakes near Bedugul, you go through Cempaga. I have heard others say it is not a friendly area, but this could relate to a New Year's Eve incident some years back - see https://balipod.com/forum/threads/new-years-eve-riots-in-lovina.3444/

Whether its just that some Lovina people have unpleasant memories of that night, or whether the Cempaga people really are unfriendly to expats - I wouldn't have a clue.

Last edited by a moderator:

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
I have always been told of "the bad village" up there, by local friends, where even the police do not like to go. I don't know the truth of it though as I took the advice not to go up there.
I was told this before the trouble in Lovina.

Last edited:

hca

Nov 20, 2011
Buleleng
These things definitely happen and there are underlying inter-village and inter-family rivalry's that flare up.

This New Year Seririt was dead quiet in the main town area, turned out there had been a few days of fighting between Lokapaksa and Patemon, two villages just outside Seririt, one on each side of the river. Apparently 3 dead, so the village heads had both villages in lock down over new year enforced by pecelan and police.

Locals tell me a muslim village nearby on the beach has been "dealt with" a few times over the years to the extent of setting the mosque alight twice.

Our neighbors father was killed in a fight over land by one of his nephews about 10 years ago, yet today the entire family group are solid and all get on fine.

Another guy we knew very well from Ungahan got in a fight about 6 months ago and was killed, married with 3 kids, you could not have met a more polite and pleasant bloke.

Quite a few of our locals tell me they used used go for fighting in Singaraja for "entertainment" in their younger days, some with big scars to prove it.

We just need to bear in mind these things can and do flare up anywhere here, just like in many other parts of the world, probably not directed at expats but there are no Queensbury rules and getting mixed up in a local fight is a deadly business.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Altogether this "getting killed" here on Bali is an interesting (weirdly) event. I just heard of a waitress being poisoned by her husband's new girlfriend with rat poison. Apparently 2 of her friends at work shared some of the meal and were also pretty ill. As far as I can gather this has had no legal consequences at all.

New girl hired in the local and now the staff don't share food, wonder why?

HCA from you story it also sounds like nobody much got taken away or arrested?

Also have heard of a man being lynched in the village for "black magic" just off of Candi Dasa, only one man took the blame and did 2 years.

Western girl steals some make up from Indomaret and looks to get 5 years.

Strange days, huh?

hca

Nov 20, 2011
Buleleng
HCA from you story it also sounds like nobody much got taken away or arrested?

As far as I know about the one on one fight in Ungahan, the winner went to the police and said he been in a fight and won. I gather it was then dealt with by the village by agreement with the families rather than the police.

As for the recent New year inter-village fights I don't know whats happened. You always get to hear about these things when they are hot items of discussion by the locals. Maybe later if it gets to court we might hear something.