geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Why don't you see saloon cars in Bali?
All of the cars are the same shape, is it because that's all they manufacture or they need to move large families?
Or am I blind?

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Indonesians are copycats. There are pretty much only 3 cars in Bali.

Toyota Avanza
Toyota APV
Toyota Innova

These have the highest resale value.

Most of these cars are silver but now white seems to be the new colour.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
Visual, i.e. height, whilst driving grid lock style, juga width. Day to day stuff sepida motor, hands down winner.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Most Balinese have a tour business or big families and need to move lots of people around from ceremony to ceremony or sight to sight hence the "people carriers".

They usually also all have a motorbike for when it's only them and the refrigerator to move.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks Ron I also learned something new. Saw the "Astra" name everywhere but never stopped to find out why or what. They seem to sell everything but the Suzuki (APV).

I'm just not clear if they only offer people movers or people only want those types. Wouldn't the competition, like Suzuki, if the customers wanted them?

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Yes you are onto it. These cars are assembled in Indonesia, mostly by Astra companies - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_International

Thanks Ron , I'm confused on the wiki page it says owned 50.1% by Jardine Matheson the EX Hong Kong company now Bermuda based.
I thought (probably wrongly) that Indonesian partners must be majority shareholder.
Will the Indonesians just not drive a saloon or they dont have much choice?

Last edited:

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
You can get any car you like here Geedee; BMW, Mercedes you name it....the majority of these Toyotas, Hondas (see above) are cheap.

There's CBU (completely build up), SKD (semi knocked down) and CKD (completely knocked down) - they all have different tax categories. The more jobs they create here the lower. BMW for example produces here 3 & 5 series, X1, X3 and some X5 (not all engines though and with fixed configuration with sucks the most)

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
You can get any car you like here Geedee; BMW, Mercedes you name it....the majority of these Toyotas, Hondas (see above) are cheap.

There's CBU (completely build up), SKD (semi knocked down) and CKD (completely knocked down) - they all have different tax categories. The more jobs they create here the lower. BMW for example produces here 3 & 5 series, X1, X3 and some X5 (not all engines though and with fixed configuration with sucks the most)

Perhaps I was just looking at the woman and not noticing cars pretty easy thing to do really except for the constant hits on the head from the strange woman next to me who doesn't seem to understand.
I have seen lots of Mercedes etc in Jakarta but didn't notice any luxury or saloon cars in Bali only seen a Range Rover (with a for sale sign on it).
The only really good car i encountered was Markit's Aston Martin DB9.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Show rooms in my area, massive Mercedes and Honda dealership, Chrysler jeep, Chevrolet, Toyota, Range Rover, mini, Porsche (new), CBU,Nissan, Isuzu. I see bluebird are updating there fleet to Honda, A 7 seat car in Indonesia will hold 7 tourist + driver or 12 locals, I've seen a Honda Civic with 7 local in it

P

paulseawind

Show rooms in my area, massive Mercedes and Honda dealership, Chrysler jeep, Chevrolet, Toyota, Range Rover, mini, Porsche (new), CBU,Nissan, Isuzu. I see bluebird are updating there fleet to Honda, A 7 seat car in Indonesia will hold 7 tourist + driver or 12 locals, I've seen a Honda Civic with 7 local in it

A HONDA CIVIC with only 7 on board?

This is the train that comes into Darwin regularly.

trainmathurreuters.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
P

paulseawind

Or my Scorpion !

When the first train came in, it got 'mooned' by about 50 Darwinians. (Not me)
That's what we are like! LOL

P.S. Most were alcoholics from the southern end of town. You had to be part of that particular 'in crowd' to flash your cheeks that day.
The other alcoholics kept away from that event.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Or my Scorpion !

You mean Chieftain

- - - Updated - - -

Do you mean in Surabaya

- - - Updated - - -

That's because you didn't see my twin turbo Carrera Black Pearl Cabriolet.

View attachment 2654

Any closeups.

I mean of the woman

P

paulseawind

Any closeups. I mean of the woman

No. She is a shorty. And talks in a shrill voice that I cannot understand after a while.
She is a well-off property owner. (So is he).
The white one is one of their cars.

The SUZUKI BERGMAN 650 was mine. So was the black car. And the airplane. And the hangar.
I took them for breakfast to Crab Claw Island that morning. About 35 mins flight away, taking the scenic route over Bare Sand Island and then Indian Island.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Surabaya, citraland wanted the land the Mercedes dealer was on ( they build a shopping mall and towers on it, citraland owned 3/4 of the block) so they swapped land, the dealers new show room is bigger then the discovery mall in bali. I have even see the big American GM van that when you open the side sliding door the step comes out. Most car would be too big for Bali roads that why the APV was a big hit in Bali.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
u mean a cadillac escalade? There are sometimes cars from Java here on Bali, it's a miracle for me why people pay 350.000 USD (Indonesia) for a car which costs less than 100K in the states - and it's even not a good car