gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
Hi all, new to Bali and was wondering if there are any butchers and bakerys close to Sanur ?
Iv been to Carrefour and Hardys but wondered where else we might find good cuts of meat, chicken etc and some fresh bread & rolls ?
Cheers.

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
cafe moka has pretty nice bread Im not sure if they are in sanur though..

I would be interested in the butcher answers though.. Bintang has the worst meat I have ever smelt or even looked at.. its revolting. I liked the meat from the local markets aswell.

The reality is to find a butcher who sells nice meat in Bali it may just be cheaper going into a restraunt and getting a great piece of steak. I had a great beef medallion stuffed with spinach & feta for 55,000.. was better than aus to be honest!

alphonso

May 26, 2011
Bintang meat is very bad, i agree. We bought a couple of steaks once, cooked it up all nice like, tried to eat it but had to throw it. You couldn't chew through it. Tried it again another time on the off chance it was just bad luck, same thing. Never again.

What is that stuff they put in their meat to make it look so red? Might have something to do with it.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
There are a few butchers mentioned in this thread:

I have heard of an Aussie butcher in Sanur but have never been to his shop. Maybe someone knows the place?

Last edited by a moderator:

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
I had tryd looking through past treads but didnt come up with any names except Lotus in Jimbaran.
There is two refered to in Sanur, Anchor? No locations though.
I guess its something I find when I can get about more.

Thanks for the heads up on Bintang, its good to know where not to go near aswell.

Carrefour & Hardys it is !!

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
And don't forget Lotte Mart (was Makro). They have good beef, chicken, fresh fish and thick chunky frozen tuna steaks. They also have free ice so you can fix you ice-box when taking the frozen goods home

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
The butcher shop in Sanur is operated by an Australian. It is in Jalan Danau Poso. This is in the southern area of Sanur (where the nice people live). Some of his cuts of meat are quite good.
In the thread mentioned by Spicyayam I mentioned Sven Hollinger. He operates Sven's Choice (SPS products). This is located at the rear of Pepito Supermarket in Tuban however they do daily deliveries around the island. I have often thrown a few of his steaks on our barbecue and the guests will not believe we can get cuts of meat this good in Bali.
There are a number of bread outlets in Sanur. Once again along Jalan Danau Poso you will find the Sanur Deli. The Australian lass (Annie) who runs the place is a wealth of knowledge about Bali and also turns out damn fine bread. Her bread contains no preservatives.
The small bread shop just near Massimos Restaurant also turn out decent bread. There is a small french style bakery along Jalan Kesari.
Gibbndip send me a PM, I will come around, pick you up and show you around Sanur. Many people do not realise what this place has to offer. At times I will mention Kesuma restaurant as being the best budget seafood restaurant in Bali, many people have never heard of it. I tell people about the Cavern Bar and Beatles museum only to be met with blank looks. The Warung at the end of the universe (Warung Ratu) is not known to a lot of people. Mention Pura Blanjong and Bali's oldest known artifact and again most locals do not even know that it exists.
:icon_biggrin:How about that for a long winded answer to someone who only wanted a fresh bun.:icon_biggrin:

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
The butcher shop in Sanur is operated by an Australian. It is in Jalan Danau Poso. This is in the southern area of Sanur (where the nice people live). Some of his cuts of meat are quite good.
In the thread mentioned by Spicyayam I mentioned Sven Hollinger. He operates Sven's Choice (SPS products). This is located at the rear of Pepito Supermarket in Tuban however they do daily deliveries around the island. I have often thrown a few of his steaks on our barbecue and the guests will not believe we can get cuts of meat this good in Bali.
There are a number of bread outlets in Sanur. Once again along Jalan Danau Poso you will find the Sanur Deli. The Australian lass (Annie) who runs the place is a wealth of knowledge about Bali and also turns out damn fine bread. Her bread contains no preservatives.
The small bread shop just near Massimos Restaurant also turn out decent bread. There is a small french style bakery along Jalan Kesari.
Gibbndip send me a PM, I will come around, pick you up and show you around Sanur. Many people do not realise what this place has to offer. At times I will mention Kesuma restaurant as being the best budget seafood restaurant in Bali, many people have never heard of it. I tell people about the Cavern Bar and Beatles museum only to be met with blank looks. The Warung at the end of the universe (Warung Ratu) is not known to a lot of people. Mention Pura Blanjong and Bali's oldest known artifact and again most locals do not even know that it exists.
:icon_biggrin:How about that for a long winded answer to someone who only wanted a fresh bun.:icon_biggrin:

hey maybe you do a tour for all of us, that dont look hard enough at what is on offer around Sanur, I would personally love to find these places. :icon_biggrin:

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
So far I found the butcher in Carrefour the best even for the local beef, Hypermart has so called 'fresh meat' but I have seen a few times the meat has been frozen over and over. Hate that place anyway, so fecking noisy always.:icon_evil:
Love to know about a good butcher and bakery in Sanur as I live there as well.
There was an Australian butcher somewhere at the south end of Danau Poso selling good quality frozen meats and homemade sausages and pies etc. But he has moved and I don't know where.

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
WOW so much info, this is great. Thankyou for all of your help.
A tour sounds great no.idea, there are a few of us though, Ill sort a nanny and get my post count up and PM you :icon_biggrin:

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
hey maybe you do a tour for all of us, that dont look hard enough at what is on offer around Sanur, I would personally love to find these places. :icon_biggrin:
Be careful Annie, i have done quite a few "tours" of Sanur with No Idea, Be prepared for many beers and a few suprises. The Beatle museum was great, but the best beers was a Mama Dewis :icon_biggrin:

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Be careful Annie, i have done quite a few "tours" of Sanur with No Idea, Be prepared for many beers and a few suprises. The Beatle museum was great, but the best beers was a Mama Dewis :icon_biggrin:

Hi Steve, having met the man, I am quite prepared for many surprises on this magical mystery tour...perhaps a new business venture for him :highly_amused:

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
There was an Australian butcher somewhere at the south end of Danau Poso selling good quality frozen meats and homemade sausages and pies etc. But he has moved and I don't know where.

Dick, the following are the directions to find the butcher shop (Raja Meats) in Sanur...................................................
(1) go to old location of the butchers shop.
(2) look directly across the road.
(3) smile wryly.
There is a wine & spirits shop next door to the butchers, so that also may be worth a visit.

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
Great, now i know where to get all our drinks as well !!!!
When ever I asked the driver for a bottle shop/ bintang shop all I got was weird looks!!!
I really need to start learning the language.

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
Dick, the following are the directions to find the butcher shop (Raja Meats) in Sanur...................................................
(1) go to old location of the butchers shop.
(2) look directly across the road.
(3) smile wryly.
There is a wine & spirits shop next door to the butchers, so that also may be worth a visit.

Did I look with my nose for a long time:icon_e_sad: I use to live very nearby but moved house nearly two years ago.
I found it yesterday driving around (closed on Sundays). Thanks a million for your reply anyway. And yes the wine and spirits-shop might be the first visit....... Hope I can find the butcher afterwards again...:icon_mrgreen:

Warm regards.
Dick

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
Found the butchers and wine shop. Thank you so much.
I also found good meat, chicken etc at Lotto Mart. They also have a little bakery there.
I also lashed out and brought a potato masher for 165.000 !!!!!
The only one Iv seen since we've been here.
Anyone know where I can find Bali cider ????
The better half is right, no trouble finding lots of Bintang.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
How about Splash on the Bypass (right side when going from Mac D. to KFC). THey are a baker. I am personally not a fan of their bread but many others love their bread so I guess it is only me. THey have great meat pies though.

I like the bread of the Pantry very much. This is almost opposite Hardy's and is a deli / grocery.

Last edited:

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
Had a look in Splash, we'll try there bread shortly. I thought thier pies were a bit much, cheaper at the aussie butchers.
I havnt even noticed the Pantry and have been to Hardys a fair few times now......go figure !!!!
I just brought a bulk lot of Bali cider from The trophy pub, just in case anyones interesd. A few people have asked me where to get it and I havent seen it in any of the bigger markets.

ozbuckley

Aug 24, 2011
realconstipationremedies.com
Wow, thanks for this thread! Lots of info! :icon_biggrin:

Im planning on moving to Bali in a couple of months.

Just outta curiosity, how much does the beef and chicken cost at the butchers in Sanur that have been mentioned?

Also, does anyone know if there are any places on Bali to buy organic meat? I was going to create my own thread about organic meat but this thread seems apt.

Look forward to hearing from you all shortly, :icon_mrgreen:

THanks

Oz

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
Wow, thanks for this thread! Lots of info! :icon_biggrin:

Im planning on moving to Bali in a couple of months.

Just outta curiosity, how much does the beef and chicken cost at the butchers in Sanur that have been mentioned?

Also, does anyone know if there are any places on Bali to buy organic meat? I was going to create my own thread about organic meat but this thread seems apt.

Look forward to hearing from you all shortly, :icon_mrgreen:

THanks

Oz

To your first question....Too much.....Not bad pies though, mind you I brought 4 chunky chicken pies but when we ate them they were all beef ??!!!
To your second, I havent seen any but I havent looked.

Iv found the range of meat & chicken at Carrefour to be the best but I still havent found Svens (SPS ?).

Sorry, this probably hasnt helped you much.