ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
Just check out your competition first around Seminyak, Oberoi, Legian, etc.
If your product has any advantages over the ones there maybe you could have a go.

But keep in mind, the free trade area in ASEAN is still ideal on paper, on the harbor or the airport, its a different law:icon_rolleyes:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
If you don't mind me asking what price have you been quoted for rent.

But keep in mind, the free trade area in ASEAN is still ideal on paper, on the harbor or the airport, its a different law.
Not sure the ink has dried yet, maybe 2020 I hope.

gsw_76

Jun 11, 2012
Bowral, Australia
I've been quoted anything from 65mil for 60sqm up to 120mil for 70sqm per year and that's in Ubud. The 120mil was prime location of course and a ready to go premises. These are the first prices given and i haven't done any negotiation for a price over a longer term than 1 year.
Yeah I understand that there is no guarantee of what will happen regarding ASEAN free trade area when any goods arrive here. The customs brokers that I have spoken to say that in the past when they have done this sometimes it works, usually when the paperwork is 100% spot on. Then depending on customs mood at the time they might decline the duty exemption or not give it in full, especially if some paperwork is not in order. i guess they can always find something wrong if they really want.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
..... Yeah I understand that there is no guarantee of what will happen regarding ASEAN free trade area when any goods arrive here. The customs brokers that I have spoken to say that in the past when they have done this sometimes it works, usually when the paperwork is 100% spot on. Then depending on customs mood at the time they might decline the duty exemption or not give it in full, especially if some paperwork is not in order. i guess they can always find something wrong if they really want.

See Point 5 (in my earlier post) also toss in some power 'connection fees' / 'fire inspection' & any other 'taxes' that someone with some form of uniform thinks they could hit you up for (you've been in Cambodia.. at least nobody's carrying AKs in Ubud)

Another 'point' that just crossed my mind.... you realise that you won't actually be able to work in your shop without the correct visa type - so the PMA structure IS probably the very 1st point to check out, I'd be very surprised if 100% foreign investment in a retail business were permitted given the existing retail legislation :
- a Presidential Decree 2008, restricts foreign-invested companies to operate only in retail spaces that exceed 1,200 m2 and department stores of 2,000m2 or more.
- Other regulations include a 2007 Presidential Decree and 2008 Ministry of Industry Decree thar stipulate that hypermarkets can only be established on arterial roads or roads that can be covered over a high speed (hmmm... how many miles/Kms of roads can be covered 'over a high speed???")

Basically, the government is concerned that family owned stores (mom and pop stores) will be killed-off by the huge purchasing power of modern retailers, and in a populist move government it intervening to protect the small store-owners ( and promote nationalistic policies ahead of elections in 2014).
National governments recently passed a regulation that will restrict the number of stores that are directly owned and controlled by a single company to 150 outlets only.

OK, apart from the 2008 Decree, you could say that none of the above applies to you (correctly) I cite this here to point out that 'retail' is a very touchy political area, so I'm willing to bet that there is SOME provision that will prevent you owning 100%

.... you can check it online, but my research has only been into the impact on the big boys like Starbucks, Indomaret, PT Fast Food (owner of 400+ KFCs) some other kind soul will have to give you the link tot the restricted/banned list.... I've seen it posted here sometime in the past 6 months in the context of another type of business).

But... good luck

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Is it possible to just wholesale your products in Bali? I would also suggest to at least consider marketing your products to locals here, especially in the big cities in Indonesia. Or how about an online store?

gsw_76

Jun 11, 2012
Bowral, Australia
Is it possible to just wholesale your products in Bali? I would also suggest to at least consider marketing your products to locals here, especially in the big cities in Indonesia. Or how about an online store?

Thanks very much for the suggestions, I hadn't thought of wholesaling in Bali. Will have a think about how that might work and also to market to local people more.. We do have an online store in Australia separate to our wholesale business there. I also hadn't thought of selling online here in Indonesia, I think that's what you mean. Will look into that also.
Thanks

Last edited: