gsw_76

Jun 11, 2012
Bowral, Australia
Hi everyone,

My wife and I have made the move to Bali after years of thinking about it, been here for 2 weeks now.
Have always enjoyed following the Balipod forum.
We are looking into starting our own business and if it's possible etc.

Can anyone suggest a good business consultant?
That can offer business setup advice, forming PMA company.

We have met with one consultant but would like to get a few more opinions.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

gsw_76

Jun 11, 2012
Bowral, Australia
Hi Spicyayam,

The main business we want to start is related to our current business in Australia. We import a few different brands from Asia to Australia, the main brand being a range of bags and accessories which we like to think are pretty unique. We haven't seen anything like this in Bali.

So we would like to try and get these products to Bali and have a retail business, the big question being if we can import these products and it be viable. I know it won't be easy.

So we decided to take the plunge and have committed to at least a year here to see if this is possible. We have been back and forward to Bali often over the past 2 years, finding out what we can. But we decided we want to be here and live and see what we can do business-wise.

So also if anyone on Balipod can offer any advice on importing that would be great?

If the business idea above does not work we will hopefully be able to try something else. So at this stage we are trying to meet and talk to as many people as possible. We have met a lot with one business consultant and based purely on the advice they gave we have an idea of what we need to do. But we want to get more advice so are looking for any recommendations?
Also the current consultant we met with was extremely expensive, I don't expect good advice and to set up a company to be cheap but this was much higher than I expected.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Bowral NSW a lovely spot.
Importing anything into Indonesian is a hassle, customs are very hard to deal with. They are worse then Immigration, better to make it in Indonesia.
I take it that you are going to sell the products to tourist ????

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Just what Bali needed - some more fecking bags!

Why do you think importing them would be better than having them copied here? If you have been here (balipod) for a while why don't you know that to start a retail business here in Bali is a) impossible b) expensive c) uber-competative d) impossible - ask Canonman about retail...

Since you've been coming to Bali for the last two years to find all this out why don't you know how to start a PMA, open a retail business, import products into Bali, etc.? Spend too much time in Kuta bars?

"If the business idea above does not work we will hopefully be able to try something else." With this kind of commitment and motivation to your goal - you are fecking doomed!

"So at this stage we are trying to meet and talk to as many people as possible. We have met a lot with one business consultant and based purely on the advice they gave we have an idea of what we need to do. But we want to get more advice so are looking for any recommendations?
Also the current consultant we met with was extremely expensive, I don't expect good advice and to set up a company to be cheap but this was much higher than I expected.
"

Pardon me if I'm wrong (almost impossible to imagine!) but to me it sounds like you are trying to get everyone else to come up with a good business plan for you and then you want the consultant to make it happen.

Old adage "the cheapest consultants agree with everything we told them to think".

Dunaden

Nov 18, 2012
Noosa Heads
Mmm more unproductive shite from you Markit....you know my saying...those that can- do, those that can't talk about it-what do you do buddy!?

Last edited:

gsw_76

Jun 11, 2012
Bowral, Australia
Hi Fred,
Yes Bowral is a really nice area, just checked the weather though and it has been about 10deg max and raining there the last few days. Definitely would rather be in Bali right now.
Nothing looks easy about importing into Indonesia but hopefully we can find a way.
We do intend to sell to tourists but expats also, we think our range could appeal to both.
Thanks

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
Hi Fred,
Yes Bowral is a really nice area, just checked the weather though and it has been about 10deg max and raining there the last few days. Definitely would rather be in Bali right now.
Nothing looks easy about importing into Indonesia but hopefully we can find a way.
We do intend to sell to tourists but expats also, we think our range could appeal to both.
Thanks

Good luck to you in your endeavors. But, please be aware of the fact that the Balinese are about the best copy-cat artists around. If they see you are successfully marketing something they can copy, they will be selling knock-off copies of your best selling items at a half to a quarter of your price. Not trying to be the fly in the ointment, just stating a fact.

But, please keep us informed here on your progress. You may end up teaching us all some new tricks. Insya allah.

gsw_76

Jun 11, 2012
Bowral, Australia
Good luck to you in your endeavors. But, please be aware of the fact that the Balinese are about the best copy-cat artists around. If they see you are successfully marketing something they can copy, they will be selling knock-off copies of your best selling items at a half to a quarter of your price. Not trying to be the fly in the ointment, just stating a fact.

But, please keep us informed here on your progress. You may end up teaching us all some new tricks. Insya allah.

Hi, thanks very much for your response and advice.
The copy-cat skills of the Balinese is something that we have thought of, maybe not seriously enough.
Our suppliers have to cope with the same situation in their home countries.
I'm pretty sure that all the materials are not available here but we will look into that further before we commit to anything.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
If it can be made in Indonesia & you try to import the same product you will be charged up to 200% import duty. Most people that bring products in to Indonesia, would bring the parts is & assemble the product here. And as some have said if your product sells well then it will be copied & sold at half the price. Bags are made in Java & sent to bali to sell to the tourist at 1000% profit, Bali is very expensive because of the tourist dollar. Not sure what a business consultant (Indonesian style) is, maybe someone that just rips tourist off. What you need to do is go to a notary, set up a PMA this should cost about Rp25,000,000 you may need different license depending on what activity you business will operate. This will give you Kitas visa to live in Bali & time for you to look at everything in a different light. The difference between a tourist & living here is a different world, years ago I would buy a bag in Kuta for Rp150,000 (15 aud) cheapest in Australia 35 aud so a great bargain. Now in Surabaya I have the shits if I have to pay over Rp50,000 because I know they are making 100% profit on the sale. My wife & I can go out for dinner (3 course) & drinks for under Rp100,000 I can't even buy McDonalds for one in Australia for that. Im not trying to put you off, just don't like to see people get burnt.

gsw_76

Jun 11, 2012
Bowral, Australia
Just what Bali needed - some more fecking bags!

Why do you think importing them would be better than having them copied here? If you have been here (balipod) for a while why don't you know that to start a retail business here in Bali is a) impossible b) expensive c) uber-competative d) impossible - ask Canonman about retail...

Since you've been coming to Bali for the last two years to find all this out why don't you know how to start a PMA, open a retail business, import products into Bali, etc.? Spend too much time in Kuta bars?

"If the business idea above does not work we will hopefully be able to try something else." With this kind of commitment and motivation to your goal - you are fecking doomed!

"So at this stage we are trying to meet and talk to as many people as possible. We have met a lot with one business consultant and based purely on the advice they gave we have an idea of what we need to do. But we want to get more advice so are looking for any recommendations?
"

Pardon me if I'm wrong (almost impossible to imagine!) but to me it sounds like you are trying to get everyone else to come up with a good business plan for you and then you want the consultant to make it happen.

Old adage "the cheapest consultants agree with everything we told them to think".

Markit,
Was wondering if you would write something to my post, I've always enjoyed reading your posts although a bit different and not so funny when I'm the one copping a blast. Anyway still enjoyed reading it.

No I'm not spending too much time in Kuta bars, actually couldn't think of anything worse. I think I've got a relatively good idea about how we can implement what we want to do but as I said based on one business consultants advice only. Who was / is extremely expensive. So the main aim of my post was to hopefully get pointed in the right direction to someone else for a 2nd opinion. I read here often the advice to ask as many questions as possible. Especially from the people on the forum who are actually living here.

Not looking to the balipoders to formulate a plan for me but it is good to hear people's initial response, positive or negative.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
It may be worth your time coming to the get together in Sanur on Sunday the 30th. As has been pointed out in different ways, what you are looking at doing has little chance of success. Most people on this site are willing to assist you. No one wants to see someone else fail.
Do not rush in and set up any company.

gsw_76

Jun 11, 2012
Bowral, Australia
Thanks Fred, good advice and all taken on board.

No idea - thanks for the invite on the 30th, would be great to talk to some Balipod people face to face. My wife and I will try to make it.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Apologies for a certain lack of diplomacy, you took it remarkably well - having spent the last week dealing with immigration bull shit am about to go Postal. Saying that I still think your plans are total blue-skies and need some grounding in reality, hence my "diplomacy". It was meant well - I don't believe in telling people what they want to hear (unless there's a chance for a well aged cheese) just to be nice.

Since I don't have to go to work, live or sleep with most of the people that come on the forum I, along with all the other contributors, can be brutally honest - it is the way I would want to hear my many problems answered too.

gsw_76

Jun 11, 2012
Bowral, Australia
Apologies for a certain lack of diplomacy, you took it remarkably well - having spent the last week dealing with immigration bull shit am about to go Postal. Saying that I still think your plans are total blue-skies and need some grounding in reality, hence my "diplomacy". It was meant well - I don't believe in telling people what they want to hear (unless there's a chance for a well aged cheese) just to be nice.

Since I don't have to go to work, live or sleep with most of the people that come on the forum I, along with all the other contributors, can be brutally honest - it is the way I would want to hear my many problems answered too.

I appreciate the honesty, it's what we need to hear.

Anyway, what would my first serious post be without an initiation from Markit.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
I've noticed, in many of these 'I want to set up a business' an amazing lack of real business sense from the OPs... certainly they may have run this or that type of business successfully wherever they live... but doing business in a foreign country (any foreign country, not just Bali) takes a degree of local knowledge that can't be obtained from a 'business consultant' (the OP didn't answer the question: just what kind of business consultant has he been talking to this far?)... or a forum like this: the Straits-Chinese have a saying "If I got lobang, why share it with you" (lobang= literally 'hole'.... gap in the market, quality low cost supplier, plot of land, etc etc).

Never having done it myself (I'm no fool),
1. I'd think that importing bags made cheaply in Asia to sell in Bali is a bit like the proverbial coals to Newcastle.
2. You've been told that most products are made in Java & shipped in (no import duty) therefore there's an established trade channel for these products organised along family or long (very long-term) established trade systems, that you'd be attempting to insert yourself into
3a. Have you researched the rental cost of retail outlets in the main drag in Kuta, Legian, Seminyak, Sanur, Ubud etc? There's a reason they are so high, 'cos just like back home, location location location rules the retail trade!
3b. Also because you're a foreigner, you'd be paying way more rent than your neighbour
4. You'd be subject to onerous import duty rates (as mentioned)
5. Local taxes? (legitimate & under the table)
6. So chances are that with 3a&b, 4 & 5 combined your retail price will be higher than they would be back home.
7. Have you looked at what - tourists (mainly from your own country) actually do spend their money on in Bali? AND HOW MUCH (or little they spend).....Hint, it ain't good quality fashion items.
8. Have you looked into whether you can get a 100% foreign owned PMA for retail? If it isn't possible (I suspect not) then you'll need a local 51% partner ... or No PMA = no KITAS!

Mate, there is a reason that nobody has given you a word of encouragement - I've just listed 8, there are probably many many more.

gsw_76

Jun 11, 2012
Bowral, Australia
"SHoggard - I've noticed, in many of these 'I want to set up a business' an amazing lack of real business sense from the OPs... certainly they may have run this or that type of business successfully wherever they live... but doing business in a foreign country (any foreign country, not just Bali) takes a degree of local knowledge that can't be obtained from a 'business consultant' (the OP didn't answer the question: just what kind of business consultant has he been talking to this far?)... or a forum like this: the Straits-Chinese have a saying "If I got lobang, why share it with you" (lobang= literally 'hole'.... gap in the market, quality low cost supplier, plot of land, etc etc)."

Hi SHoggard, thanks for your reply. I'll try to respond to your points from our side. Just what we have been thinking, not necessarily correct or even possible.
I agree with you about doing business in a foreign country - totally different to Australia. We have lived in Cambodia for 3 years in the past and done business there, this is where our products are from. The past 2 years we've setup our wholesale business in Australia importing these products. Of course Cambodia is different to Indonesia in many ways but we do feel we at least have experience doing business in Asia with similar challenges to Indonesia.
As for the business consultant - sorry I didn't realise anyone asked "what kind of business consultant we have been talking to", I didn't want to name them as I'm not sure if it's appropriate. We been talking to the type that advises on the whole package - business advice, company formation, contracts, tax, accounting etc. We've realised there is a cheaper way.
This past year we didn't have much luck meeting anyone else including notaris, we had a few no shows and they were hard to get in contact with.
We only got advice from one other person on one occasion.

"1. I'd think that importing bags made cheaply in Asia to sell in Bali is a bit like the proverbial coals to Newcastle."

We're not talking about cheap bags here that you see all over Asia, we like to think they're quite unique. I haven't seen anything like this here in Bali. Having said that there is many bags available and very competitive.

"2. You've been told that most products are made in Java & shipped in (no import duty) therefore there's an established trade channel for these products organised along family or long (very long-term) established trade systems, that you'd be attempting to insert yourself into"

As far as duty goes - hopefully our import will be duty free, coming from Cambodia it's part of ASEAN free trade agreement. The advice from various customs brokers is that it is possible with a "certificate of origin" which I can get. Whether or not this is actually the case who knows?? I don't think I will ever know unless we actually decide to go ahead.
I have considered a small trial shipment just to see what happens.

"3a. Have you researched the rental cost of retail outlets in the main drag in Kuta, Legian, Seminyak, Sanur, Ubud etc? There's a reason they are so high, 'cos just like back home, location location location rules the retail trade!"

Yep we've done a lot of research on this, we know what the costs are for various size premises and locations.

"3b. Also because you're a foreigner, you'd be paying way more rent than your neighbour "

As in previous answer, we know at leats what the "asking price" is for us. We understand that when the owner see's we are foreigner it probably doubles. Hope we would be able to negotiate a little.

"4. You'd be subject to onerous import duty rates (as mentioned)"
As answered above but who knows what the reality is!!

"5. Local taxes? (legitimate & under the table)"
Not sure if you mean import taxes, or company taxes or both.
As for import it's high but manageable from the quotes and research we have.
We've been advised on company and tax on earnings but as I said just from 1 consultant.
So need to get more advice.

"6. So chances are that with 3a&b, 4 & 5 combined your retail price will be higher than they would be back home."
From the calculations I've done our retail price would be considerably lower than back home. It needs to be or we won't go ahead with any of this. From walking around and looking in every shop that we can and trying to gauge the price, we think we would fit in price wise, to different brands and types of products of similar quality that appeal to tourists. Having said that, my calculations are based on trusting quotes from freight companies and customs brokers and allowing for a few "mystery" increases. But the reality might be different.

"7. Have you looked at what - tourists (mainly from your own country) actually do spend their money on in Bali? AND HOW MUCH (or little they spend).....Hint, it ain't good quality fashion items."
Well I might have misjudged this one, I did think there was a high percentage of people shopping for more than just your typical cheap market items. Our products aren't high fashion, but somewhere in between and I did think there would be a market. But I need to research this more.

"8. Have you looked into whether you can get a 100% foreign owned PMA for retail? If it isn't possible (I suspect not) then you'll need a local 51% partner ... or No PMA = no KITAS!"

The advice we got was that it is possible for what we want to do, the one other notaris that we managed to meet did "go along" with this advice but I want to meet more people to make sure we will be doing things legally.
One of the main reasons I originally posted to be referred to someone.

It's early days for us on this, although we've been thinking about it for a while and we have travelled back and forward quite often over the past couple of years, that's why we decided to move here for at least one year to immerse ourselves in Bali and see if this is possible. We have not committed to going ahead yet.
We are not looking to make a million dollars, we see this as a way to get started in Bali and we also see this small showroom of our products as a sort of extension of our current business in Australia.
I am operating our business in Australia from Bali, with the help of a small team back there in oz. We have in our minds that it could work quite well that the many Aussies that will "hopefully" come in our showroom in Bali, will be able to return to oz after their holiday and buy from our website back there (at a special Bali price).

As I said just my wife and I's ideas, there is possible big holes in our plan and we would be happy to hear from anyone further. Anyway, that's enough from me.
Thanks for your time
Gareth

gsw_76

Jun 11, 2012
Bowral, Australia
Just to clarify - with my last point. We intend to sell to tourists from our showroom in Bali but we see additionally that people will like that they can also go back to oz and buy more if they liked the products. Maybe they'll just buy a few items here but more when they get back home because we'll give them some info.