wayne1978

Jan 20, 2013
HI ALL
Well been in BAli 3 months and we were burgled on Sunday, in broad daylight.
Thankfully we were out, but 2 ipads, nikon camera, laptop, jewelery, phones, my daughters money box. They wrecked the door locks to all rooms.
All our memories for last 3 years wiped out.
We live in Jalan Klecung, Umalas2
PLEASE BE AWARE AND KEEP SAFE
If anyone knows where jewelery is pawned off, please advise.

its really getting more and more crazy
not that long ago police was very proud having arrested 2-3 guys and recuperated some phones and laptops but last week in Tegal Cupek I in middle of night with people in the villa !!!
> security might be good BUT it is also known security and/or staff give keys to others or just copy keys and go for a 10 minute "absence" while their "friends" enter the place
so best still some dogs but even that is know few dogs already got poisoned ....

sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
HI ALL
Well been in BAli 3 months and we were burgled on Sunday, in broad daylight.
Thankfully we were out, but 2 ipads, nikon camera, laptop, jewelery, phones, my daughters money box. They wrecked the door locks to all rooms.
All our memories for last 3 years wiped out.
We live in Jalan Klecung, Umalas2
PLEASE BE AWARE AND KEEP SAFE
If anyone knows where jewelery is pawned off, please advise.

Very sorry to hear about your loss, BUT, at least no one was harmed. Thank you for posting the heads up!

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
wayne1978

Very sad to hear about the robbery.

You're right - you probably were "lucky" to not be there at the time - (it could have been much worse).

I've been robbed several times living in Bali. During the two biggest ones, I was asleep (with my family). Most thieves don't come alone - if I'd jumped up and confronted them, I could easily have been stabbed or even killed.
Day or night doesn't make much of a difference these days, especially in the most populated areas of Bali.

Apart from coping with the horrible feelings of having been violated, losing precious personal stuff, etc, the next awful scenario comes when (or if) you go to the police to make a report.
Spend many useless hours going over the story, again and again. And usually, absolutely nothing happens in the end.

Forget about finding your belongings in local "pawn shops". If your robbers were from outside of Bali, chances are your stuff isn't even in Bali anymore. Waste of time and energy.
Do not fool yourself that the police are going to do anything. Sad but true.

On the other hand, I've been living here for about 17 years. I was robbed more times in my own country (Australia) than here. Never got my stuff back in Australia - just insurance payouts.
It's hard to say what people can do here to prevent being robbed. You can have all the CCTV cameras you like, guard dogs, paid "security" staff, and all the rest.
None of that is fool-proof (especially in Indonesia).
Your own common sense and awareness is about all you can depend upon. Plus your neighbours (if you know them).

:icon_sad:

Dunaden

Nov 18, 2012
Noosa Heads
Wow, this sounds terrible. I didn't realise it was such a "free for all" over there. That's a worry, and I'm guessing if you have CCTV everywhere the footage either will get list it if it leads to Arrests you'll get payback too...maybe just really high walls and strong doors?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Try just not living in high risk areas - been doing that my whole life and haven't been robbed once in the USA, UK, Germany, India, Indonesia, etc, etc.

Of course it does help too if you don't have shit :barbershop_quartet_

wayne1978

Jan 20, 2013
Thanks for all your kind comments.
I met my neighbor yesterday, two villas down from me to warn him of our misfortune, to learn he was also burgled a few weeks ago.
He had a expensive Sentry safe in the villa that was ripped open by the F******
All his life's work lost forever.
I dont believe problem will get better, more and more "Bule" coming here with money that is very tempting. and with police whom just don't give a shit.
I am going to police again today with my head banjar, and our very highly respected landlord to try "persuade" the police to follow up on leads we gave them, including the motorcycle helmet that was left behind in my villa by the idiots and all license plates from all vehicles recorded by my neighbors CCTV camera at the alleged time.
I will keep you posted on the outcome.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for the heads-up...I was having dinner with friends in Jl Klecung last night and they were unaware of this burglary....so I've informed them to beef up security.

I'm more interested in villabalipassion's post of what happened in Tegal Cupak...I also have not heard of any burglary...and I live there!

wayne1978

Jan 20, 2013
I promised an update on our burglary,
It appears from CCTV we have obtained there were 4 motorbikes and 8 guys who ransacked our villa. We are hoping from the images the faces shown on the cctv are quickly recognised by the coppers!!!
Please let as many people know about this as you can, this is serious shit people!
More to follow.............................

chasingsunsets

Jan 29, 2013
It certainly is and its helpful for people living in certain areas to hear about these burglaries. Sorry to hear of this for those involved though.

wayne1978

Jan 20, 2013
UPDATE!!
Spent many hours at police station
Suspicion is now on the ex maid, reason- the tops of cupboards were untouched during raid, a cheap handbag that she asked my wife if she can have is the only one out of 4 to have disappeared!
Parts of the villa were also ignored, all attention was on rooms and places where she thought we kept our stuff.
She was laid off with a good redundancy package! I guess not good enough! (ps she is a local Balinese girl!!)
My advice after learning the hard way is when moving to a new villa DO NOT take on staff or friends of staff already working there.
We have changed all locks, our new Javanese maid we aquired through an agency so we have something to fall back on.
I truly hope for her sake she is not involved as our Banjar are very prepared to 'clean up' those whom are involved.

wayne1978

Jan 20, 2013
If anyone living in Jalan Klecung and would like to make contact in case of any future problems please feel free private message me.
Believe me if I didnt contact my neighbour whom unbeknown to me had CCTV, our investigation would go no where.
It also helps to have a close by friendly face to send your family to to avoid the trauma of seeing police and burly banjars around your house whilst they sort things out.
The more eyes on on the community the better!

wayne1978

Jan 20, 2013
8 guys in broad day light!! So happy to hear that you weren't at home. I hope they get these idiots.

Thank you very much Bali Bule.
I cant tell you how shocked we were when we saw the CCTV showing those images, seeing how backpacks full of our stuff made us sick. but hey life worth more than a few material items:icon_neutral:

Kay

Sep 12, 2010
Burglaries in Bali are all too common. Happened to me (during the day), happened to friends also. I find that people here don't really look out for each other (or don't look out for foreigners) and that's partly why burglars can get away with it. Whilst the burglars were loading my stuff onto a pickup from over a wall, a neighbour was chatting with them. I knew the neighbour quite well and often chatted with her, she didn't think to come to my front door to see if I was in, or to alert anyone, she just chatted with the burglars. I only got to know of that because she told me when I was asking neighbours if they saw anything.

Even though that there are many locals who are extremely wealthy, foreigners are the main targets here. With the burglaries here I think it's virtually guaranteed that they have help from someone on the inside (maid/gardener etc.), or at least that the burglars have been watching you for a few days and watch you leave before they enter your premises. In general foreigners are easier targets, often single people or couples. Locals often have huge families living with them or looking out for them.

Natasha

Dec 1, 2010
Kerobokan
Burglaries in Bali are all too common. Happened to me (during the day), happened to friends also. I find that people here don't really look out for each other (or don't look out for foreigners) and that's partly why burglars can get away with it. Whilst the burglars were loading my stuff onto a pickup from over a wall, a neighbour was chatting with them. I knew the neighbour quite well and often chatted with her, she didn't think to come to my front door to see if I was in, or to alert anyone, she just chatted with the burglars. I only got to know of that because she told me when I was asking neighbours if they saw anything.

Even though that there are many locals who are extremely wealthy, foreigners are the main targets here. With the burglaries here I think it's virtually guaranteed that they have help from someone on the inside (maid/gardener etc.), or at least that the burglars have been watching you for a few days and watch you leave before they enter your premises. In general foreigners are easier targets, often single people or couples. Locals often have huge families living with them or looking out for them.

I have known many locals to be robbed here too! For example just over the last 4 months about 5 homes on the small gang I live on have been robbed, only one was a westerner, the rest were Balinese families living in traditional compounds with their large families. I have also heard many terrible stories of local women getting their purses stolen while they are driving their motorbikes- they will be followed by someone on a bike and when they are on a small road they will be approached by the bike, the purse being torn off of them, many times this actually causes awful motorbike accidents as well, especially if the purse is worn around the body.. terrible!

wayne1978

Jan 20, 2013
UPDATE
The police have arrested 9 suspects in Singaraga this weekend. They are 100% linked to my neighbors burglary a few weeks ago, and also others in Umalas/Canngu area I believe there is also a link to the rape of young girl earlier this year, but this cannot be verified at the moment.
My perseverance is paying off slowly, another suspect linked to CCTV is also part of this gang.
The police believe they are organized gang, but not the smartest criminals out there as they have become very lax with covering their backsides.
I have also this morning dismissed my pool guy, whom introduced our ex maid to our villa (whom is very likely to be linked to the burglary) the pool guy whilst my wife was out this morning was snooping inside our villa, he was caught out by the new maid.