sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
Wayne that is GREAT news!!!

UPDATE
The police have arrested 9 suspects in Singaraga this weekend. They are 100% linked to my neighbors burglary a few weeks ago, and also others in Umalas/Canngu area I believe there is also a link to the rape of young girl earlier this year, but this cannot be verified at the moment.
My perseverance is paying off slowly, another suspect linked to CCTV is also part of this gang.
The police believe they are organized gang, but not the smartest criminals out there as they have become very lax with covering their backsides.
I have also this morning dismissed my pool guy, whom introduced our ex maid to our villa (whom is very likely to be linked to the burglary) the pool guy whilst my wife was out this morning was snooping inside our villa, he was caught out by the new maid.

If would be good if you could forward a picture of your former pool guy to the police and perhaps one of your ex maid. Might be a good suggestion for everyone who hires employees that have access to their home to photo copy all of the employees documentation AND take their photograph, make them aware that you are very vigilant concerning anyone who enters your home.

Criminals usually don't have high IQs, you deserve EVERYONE'S thanks!!!!!!

Hope that these bastards rot in prison for a very long time.

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
Congrats on getting them caught wayne, your perseverance paid off
Be more careful, you just fired 2 person recently, it sucks to live so cautiously but better be safe than sorry

wayne1978

Jan 20, 2013
If would be good if you could forward a picture of your former pool guy to the police and perhaps one of your ex maid. Might be a good suggestion for everyone who hires employees that have access to their home to photo copy all of the employees documentation AND take their photograph, make them aware that you are very vigilant concerning anyone who enters your home.

Criminals usually don't have high IQs, you deserve EVERYONE'S thanks!!!!!!

Hope that these bastards rot in prison for a very long time.

Thanks for your kind words
I lucky enough my landlord knows where the guy lives, also the maid I insisted on her ID before starting. If hiring I would insist on ID, most european countries do the same when you apply for a job!
Problem is it going to get worse, police are stretched, more of us "Bule" coming, money for the locals is scarce.
Lets hope I am wrong!!!

wayne1978

Jan 20, 2013
Congrats on getting them caught wayne, your perseverance paid off
Be more careful, you just fired 2 person recently, it sucks to live so cautiously but better be safe than sorry
Thanks very much, but it not the end.
It does suck sacking someone, but hey family first.
I lucky enough to have the local Banjars build a security post this weekend, we now have 24hr watch on our road by them. Lets hope it works.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Christ on a fecking crutch what Bali do you people live in?

"24hr watch on our road"
Welcome to Stalag Umalas.

"If would be good if you could forward a picture of your former pool guy to the police"
Why the fuck would you do that? Everyone on this lovely island knows everyone else - just cause pool guy knew the burglars? Suggest you forward the pix of all 3.8 million Balinese too they probably knew them too.

"and perhaps one of your ex maid"
Whatever you do don't forget the guy that sells bakso on the road outside you villa?

"Might be a good suggestion for everyone who hires employees that have access to their home to photo copy all of the employees documentation AND take their photograph, make them aware that you are very vigilant concerning anyone who enters your home.

Why don't you go back to where it's safe? Do you really want to insult these lovely and helpful people by considering them criminals before they even start working for you?

Why don't all of us move into gated communities and hire fecking great guard dogs too? Maybe a damn great gun or 2 - just in case?

I personally don't need your stupid paranoia. Sorry that you got burgled but "shit happens" lets not get carried away.

wayne1978

Jan 20, 2013

"24hr watch on our road"
Welcome to Stalag Umalas.

"If would be good if you could forward a picture of your former pool guy to the police"
Why the fuck would you do that? Everyone on this lovely island knows everyone else - just cause pool guy knew the burglars? Suggest you forward the pix of all 3.8 million Balinese too they probably knew them too.

Whatever you do don't forget the guy that sells bakso on the road outside you villa?

"Might be a good suggestion for everyone who hires employees that have access to their home to photo copy all of the employees documentation AND take their photograph, make them aware that you are very vigilant concerning anyone who enters your home.

Why don't you go back to where it's safe? Do you really want to insult these lovely and helpful people by considering them criminals before they even start working for you?

Why don't all of us move into gated communities and hire fecking great guard dogs too? Maybe a damn great gun or 2 - just in case?

I personally don't need your stupid paranoia. Sorry that you got burgled but "shit happens" lets not get carried away.

MARKIT
Just because you may feel safe because it not happened to you yet please dont comment on how those who have experienced crime first hand! I am from South Africa and what we experienced was mild compared to what could have happened.
Some of us here are reliant on the laptops and ipads to do the work we need to feed our families, we choose to live here because it 'safer' and because this is where our work requires us to be here.
I dread the day you may be a victim of crime, I dread the day you worry every night they will come back one more time knowing you may have insurance to replace those 'precious" items.
Do me a favor get your hippie head out the clouds and come back to earth! IT ALL A SIMPLE FORUM TO WARN OTHERS TO BE VIGILANT!!!

wayne1978

Jan 20, 2013

For your information Markit! One of those caught on the weekend was in fact a 'Bakso man' that had been 'selling' on our road. His decoy was a Bakso wagon always parked outside my neighbors house, but surprise surprise he was scoping the neighbours house, after the burglary the wagon was found abandonded.
Guess all the 'my precious' he helped steal was worth more than the bakso wagon could have made even though it was empty.
Personally I dont need your negative comments thanks

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
@markit too bad I can't go to the upcoming Balipod get together, i bet a lot of people also want to see you, the cheese loving and bold commentator :biggrin:

@wayne about 5 years ago, I stayed at Dyanapura Seminyak and I would be able to leave the car and doors unlock all the time
Bali is changing and you have experience the negative side of it, I think you should consider moving to other area where the environment is better and your family didn't need to be on guard 24 hours
For example. now I live without even any wall surrounding the house and I can sleep safely without locking my doors

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Dear Guys sorry that you feel I have attacked you or your standpoint in any way and please also be aware that I understand the feelings of invasion that a burglary causes. You have, for what it's worth, my complete sympathy.

But having grown up and lived a great part of my life in LOFHOB (Land of the free, home of the brave - USA) I also understand the power of fear and how that can poison a life far worse than the loss of a Ipad, Iphone or Iwhatever.

Your warnings are doubtlessly given with the most benevolent and altruistic motivation but I have to ask what good are they really?

Should we suspect every bakso seller of being a lookout for a gang of thieves and rapists?

Are our Pembantus just waiting for us to fall asleep before they throw themselves on our cherished possessions?

Is the poolguy scoping out our villa for the next nightly raid?

It may be some old hippy idea still banging about in my drug addled skull but I don't believe that living here on Bali in constant fear of harm is worth the the stuff that might get stolen. I would rather they came and just took it, frankly, cause I don't give that much of damn (no insurance) and would by far rather go along in my daydream and believe that my people are the nice, gentle, honest and kindly people I want them to be.

Maybe that's just me?

wayne1978

Jan 20, 2013
Dear Guys sorry that you feel I have attacked you or your standpoint in any way and please also be aware that I understand the feelings of invasion that a burglary causes. You have, for what it's worth, my complete sympathy.

But having grown up and lived a great part of my life in LOFHOB (Land of the free, home of the brave - USA) I also understand the power of fear and how that can poison a life far worse than the loss of a Ipad, Iphone or Iwhatever.

Your warnings are doubtlessly given with the most benevolent and altruistic motivation but I have to ask what good are they really?

Should we suspect every bakso seller of being a lookout for a gang of thieves and rapists?

Are our Pembantus just waiting for us to fall asleep before they throw themselves on our cherished possessions?

Is the poolguy scoping out our villa for the next nightly raid?

It may be some old hippy idea still banging about in my drug addled skull but I don't believe that living here on Bali in constant fear of harm is worth the the stuff that might get stolen. I would rather they came and just took it, frankly, cause I don't give that much of damn (no insurance) and would by far rather go along in my daydream and believe that my people are the nice, gentle, honest and kindly people I want them to be.

Maybe that's just me?

MArkit all is forgiven!

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
In the late '80's I hid-out from the excesses of Thatcherism by spending 4 years living 'next door' in Papua New Guinea, when I arrived the 'rascals' (euphamistic pigin name for out-&-out thugs & bastards) came at expat houses with machetes & held them up on the road with bows & arrows - that happened to me once,a random road-block, those guys had never seen 'road rage' till they has a Scotsman's landcruiser headlights barreling down on them over a set of bull-bars.
But times change, stone age weapons gave way to shotguns and from what I hear they've now graduated to AKs.

Most expats lived behind walls & razor wire, and tuned PNG out in favour of ABC.

I personally never suffered the home invasions many of my friends did, a couple didn't survive long enough to call the cops.

On reflection, the main reason, I think I lived a life of immunity was that, like ferdie, I had no walls or razorwire to advertise the hoard of 'preciousssss' that didn't exist (not even a TV). I was about 20K from the nearest town on the edge of a tribal village, about 50 of the villagers worked for the company I did & due to the prevalence of poligamy, they were effectively were related to upwards of 1,000 people.

- I acquired my 'houseboy' from my predecessor - he came with the house, I don't recall any discussion to the contrary, it was just assumed. He was a crappy housekeeper but an ok old guy.
- I helped his daughter with her English homework & when she skipped school he got me to give her a damn good scolding... because "You-pela emi papa bilong fameli bilong mi"(read it aloud & phonetically it makes sense)
- I bought my cigarettes & beer from the local trade-store even though they were a couple of cents cheaper in town
- I went to their sing-sings instead of complaining about the noise.
- I gave total strangers a lift on the back of my Landcruiser the 2-3km along a dirt road to the main road whenever I saw them 99% chance they lived in 'my' village (felt like a shuttle bus sometimes)
- I played ambulance one night to take the houseboy's pregnant 2nd wife to hospital (despite being 1/2 drunk)

I'm no saint, but.... basically... I made friends and my friends made sure I slept at night - no 24hour official security post, just people who gave a shit..

True Bali isn't PNG, so I find it hard to read that someone's neighbour would chit-chat & gossip over the garden fence with 'rascals' while they were gutting the home, says a lot about the relationship, or lack thereof.

I do hope that Markit's perspective is right and the 'gang' are just itinerant 'rascals' and this isn't becoming a trend.... fuck there goes another tropical paradise

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
I've mentioned our attack and robbery previously on Balipod but you can read about it here. I agree with all SHoggard says about community relations, not only for reasons of safety but because it makes us more connected to our Bali life. Wayne, my hat's off to you for all the work you did to get the police to follow through. The men who attacked us were never arrested and we believe the police were paid off by them. Nothing else makes sense.

I don't agree with SHoggard's hope that this isn't becoming a trend. We don't have statistics and I imagine the government will do all they can to insure no statistics are available but my impression is that home invasions and purse snatchings are increasing. People often talk about how safe Bali is but I've lived in many places in the US and in Australia. I've not lived anywhere else where properties need high walls around them and there is so much emphasis placed on security and safety. I love the Balinese people and I love living in Bali but imagined home safety may not be realistic.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
In Australia our house was broken in to, so I know how you feel. When I first came to Surabaya I always stayed at the in-laws house , no high walls because the only thing of value was a TV. When I went to were the rich people lived they had high walls & plenty of security. I was told that when you have money & expensive things this is were you have to live in Indonesia as there is a big difference between rich & poor, and sometimes people like to remove things from the rich. So were I live in west Surabaya we have no police but private security, there is a security post at the start of our street were only home owners can pass, anyone else they take there ID card & ring the home owner to make sure they know the person. We pay a monthly fee for security, garbage & water, now that I travel to & from Surabaya- Australia I know my house is safe & when i am home in Surabaya I feel safer then in Australia. But thats not Bali so when a poor robber is looking were there next job is at, a cluster of western owned villas with no real security is a open door. I think the only thing missing is the flashing light " please rob me".
When we first opened our business in Surabaya, a army truck stopped & a high ranked office came in to offer the service of the army as security & if we did not take his offer we may be burglarised. I mentioned that the CCTV had just recorded all our conversion, he started to joke about everything. Now he calls in for a chat & drinks. My wife still worries & she does not like it when I talk & have drinks with the police, no one trust the police.
Good luck & be safe.