BoogeyWoman

Aug 29, 2010
I just heard this from one of new applicant in my office that, the Japanese business owner has this forum, black listing those employee that went missing after stealing or do bad things. posting their pictures, name, details.

I was so pissed off when two of our staffs went missing with some company money and goods went missing. is there anyway so we can help other business owner here, wont employ the wrong person?

any input? :icon_rolleyes:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I think you can put a camera in to keep a eye on them, if can not.
I don't allow employees to handle money & at the end of the day we look to see how much stuff is under there coats:icon_mrgreen:

freetofly

Aug 30, 2010
stealing

hell if they wear coats here on Bali, then you know something is up :icon_wink:

I just caught my pembantu stealing a pissy amount of money, which of course she denied - but the only person home. my safe broken and left cash in an envelope on my dresser. cant beleive someone would risk 1juta a month job that is easy i may add for a pissy 20 000rp.

but I had a few staff steal from me in business in australia, until we got security cameras installed but they still managed to steal from private treatment rooms that we couldnt camera!!!!

bloody thiefs - hope there is Karma!!!

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
We have not had any problems with money going missing yet, But we have some large rooms at the back of the shed, have had a couple employees ask if they can move in:icon_mrgreen:. There are 4 rooms altogether, so you have to have a head count to check if someone having a lay down:icon_e_confused:.

kayoticlaudia

Mar 10, 2011
Indonesia & Germany
Difficult....... But when I notice something missing I ask directly and then the next day the stolen item is on my front steps. I don't know for sure who it is - have my suspicions though. But it works all the time.

Money - well that I leave on my bank or give it to my most trustworthy employee to hold on to. Usually she ends up paying the water and electricity bill with the money. But that is ok with me. Don't pay denda is all I hear! If she only knew the amount of denda I pay here in Germany for late payments she'd come to Germany to make sure I pay on time!

tobaman

Aug 19, 2010
bali
put up their pics and details on the local newspaper to let other friends know & not to hire them later (you can see this things in Bali Post sometimes)

you may can check to the newspaper (if they keep a record of all old advertisement) when you are going to hire a new staff who will be dealing with money in your office

all money/wallet/bag...etc to be kept in staff locker (in security post) during working hours then it's easier for you to search them before they leave the office when working time is over

okta

Mar 21, 2011
Netherlands-North, Taman Griya
1. avoid or prohibit over time.. I know one of my friend used this tactis to avoid stealling. He locked the office door at 6 oclock sharp, the employee go home at 5. He keeps telling his employee anyone who work long hours are not using their 9 hour efficiently, but he told me he just wanted to avoid stealling!!

2. give only specific petty cash to the accountant, if they need more money they have to use their money first and the office will reimburse it..

3. Dont use new computer for company assets, use second hand products. Have Insurance if possible..

4. Tracing the thiefs : Ask your neighbours if they noticed any suspicious acts that day, ask if they know the suspicious person and if they know where you can find them, dont go by yourselves, ask your Indonesian staffs to do this for you, your most trusted employees and who tend to "lick your a___" most of the time..

5. Check your Security cameras, Attendance record and Personnel Log book.
Interogate the employees who's working on that day and the day before!! Ask them to make a letter of statement ,with 6000 meterai on it, that they didnt steal, didnt have any attempt or didnt cooperate with the thiefs.. make sure you mentioned about "if you caught one of them coorperate with the thiefs they will go to jail"

To avoid employing a wrong person is to do a cross check. When you want to employ someone make sure you do your homework, check the school diploma/certificate and most of important the employee references, this one always helped..

PS:if you called to the previous employer and they mentioned that He/She is Fine enough as an employee..please dont hire this person!!!
Most of the employer here never gave FINE as an answer... it has to be GOOD or SATIFYING,, FINE means bad! Most Indonesians here would never "openly expressed" a bad attitude to another employer..they just said FINE..:icon_evil:

I hope this information helps!
Good Luck and Success..

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
[QUOTE

bloody thiefs - hope there is Karma!!![/QUOTE]

Karma is not punishment or retribution but simply an extended expression or consequence of natural acts.

Tiggy

May 6, 2011
Lombok
Ok noIdea - I am still learning this all but I was led to believe that the karma aspect is why the crime, property or otherwise was fairly low in Bali by hindu people.

Case in point:
A traveler I met when I was over there in December had her camera case upside down while walking on a path near the hotel and about 300K fell out. She just mentioned it in passing to the hotel staff. Hotel staff spread the word and a non staff member returned the money the next day and we were told it was because he wanted good karma? When I had my camera stolen from my room on the same trip the whole island of lembongan freaked out and couldn't believe it was a local due to the karma issue. I only know what I am told though and am looking for further insight.

Sorry for the derail.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Tiggy, the beauty of this forum is that everyone is here to help. Do not confuse basic honesty with Karma.
Believe me a whole island would not freak out over your loss.:icon_rolleyes:

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Ok noIdea - I am still learning this all but I was led to believe that the karma aspect is why the crime, property or otherwise was fairly low in Bali by hindu people.
Sorry for the derail.

Tiggy, you are right about karma having a strong influence in Bali but just like in your own country some people have stronger religious or spiritual beliefs than others and some people have better morals than others. Again like your own country, there are many reasons why people are honest, thoughtful, considerate, etc. such as family teachings and values, how tightly knit a community the people come from, the influence of school and religious teachers. The list could go on but you get the idea. There are "good" people and "bad" people in Bali just like everywhere else. But to me it sure does seem like there are a greater number of kind, honest, caring people.
Having said that I've had my car broken into and everything stolen from it. And security is a focus of our local Balinese community in order to keep it crime-free.
I also know a wonderful woman whose mother is a hooker up in Singaraja. She was abandoned by her mother as a baby and fortunately raised by a wise grandmother.

Tiggy

May 6, 2011
Lombok
Lol no.idea I did perhaps exagerate a wee touch when making my point (was more than a bit tired and overworked last night). The entire island didn't exactly freak, but the village and area surrounding my pondok (where I always stay and am well known) were really upset for the rest of the week I was there. They did find out who did it - was told to me by the owner this last trip - who was promptly fired and blacklisted from working hospitality on nusa lembongan despite strong family ties etc.

Thanks pollyanna for your thoughts on this issue. I agree that no matter where you go there are good and bad apples. I have been lucky to find good apples in bali and when i question my friends about it the karma explanation was always given to me. Its the only place I have traveled to as a single female, feeling relatively safe to walk around at night.

Thats wonderful that woman had strong family that were able to help her. Sadly I see a lot of that (but alcohol motivated) in my current job and it breaks my heart at times.

BoogeyWoman

Aug 29, 2010
I just cant wait to put up more and more and more annoying staffs in our stores in bali. our main office is in jakarta, missing items, goods and stuffs, and bet what, they managed to shut down the electricity so the cctv dead, then went on again, in the cctv the goods already missing.

Hired 20, only 1 loyal and on break because she's pregnant.

went to the police, no use.

great, "they" talk about karma, but they seems didnt know what it is.

pissed off*

Tiggy

May 6, 2011
Lombok
Sounds like a plan no.idea :D

I just cant wait to put up more and more and more annoying staffs in our stores in bali. our main office is in jakarta, missing items, goods and stuffs, and bet what, they managed to shut down the electricity so the cctv dead, then went on again, in the cctv the goods already missing.

Hired 20, only 1 loyal and on break because she's pregnant.

went to the police, no use.

great, "they" talk about karma, but they seems didnt know what it is.

pissed off*

Sucks mate. Have you thought about putting in a UPS on your camera system. Even if the power goes out, the cameras stay on ;).

BoogeyWoman

Aug 29, 2010
havent put it on yet. We're looking for any good internet connection without phone line. we dont have any there. but the ups only allows the electricity to stay running for a few mins only right?

please share me some info's :icon_biggrin:

Tiggy

May 6, 2011
Lombok
I'm a wee bit tired to find ya the right gear tonight after an 8 hour drive on dirt. Not sure about supplies over thataway, but the good ups's will get y at 15 mins plus of power. If ya had a decent one and they thought the power was off I reckon you'd catch em heaps fast unless the gear took 15 mins + to move.

Heck if your budget allowed it (if your stock was that valuable) could you link in a generator? You'd have to employee proof it, but im sure it could be done. I currently am using superglue ha ha, don't laugh but at times its a life saver.

All comes down to the value of things vs the effort involved. Getting good staff is always a trouble. Where I am we face the same although most of my dramas involve clients atm. /sigh

BoogeyWoman

Aug 29, 2010
tiggy, whats with your client atms?
the space in our seminyak is really small, we cant put in a generators there. our employee stable now, since we employ someone with at least 5years experience. but still, I still worried for the kuta, legian and seminyak area, since the problem with employee is always in that area.

I really crossing my fingers, this year ends smooth. had enough human resource this year.

and oh, I hear during some meetings, the hotels and tours they have this organizations, they always do some meeting and gathering, they also black lists employee's with their pictures. :eek: so you make sure, they dont enter your premises at all.