bevan

Oct 26, 2010
Hi all,

What is the easiest and cheapest way of getting money from Australia to Bali via banks?
we are coming to Bali in 4 weeks for 1 year on social visa (2x6 months) and (no Kitas).

we want to avoid withdrawing money every month from our aus account which charges $5A and 3% exchange per transaction. for example if we did this once a month for $1000A it would cost $35A in transactions, pretty steep.

the ideal would be to open Bali account and just transfer money from our Aus account into Bali acc, which would normally just cost the fee for international transfer (approx 20-25$) but not the % per transaction.

if we could do this maybe every 3-4 months, after we gauge our cost of living, this would be ideal.

so can we open a bali account without KITAS?
if so do they charge a % for exchanging AUS dollars (via internet)

I have searched on balipod fot more info but it seems to be lacking in this depatrment, so all you 'wise' expats........

Cheers
Bevan

Last edited:

alphonso

May 26, 2011
I use a NAB Gold Visa Debit card. No fees whatsoever. For example, today i withdrew 1.5juta from any old ATM in Sanur and looking at my statement right now it cost me AUD$165.04. That's it, nothing more to pay. This is a conversion rate of AUD$1 = IDR9089 which in itself is also pretty good.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I think that once you have been here a few weeks you may sort out an account to transfer into. One way would be to get an Indonesian friend to help you with an account that would be in the friend's name, but you would have the card and the PIN etc.

So before you leave check that you are setup OK for doing internet banking for International transfers from your Aust account. This may mean you need to get one of those security gizmos if you don't already have one, and you should check that the limit on International transfers is high enough.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
I think that once you have been here a few weeks you may sort out an account to transfer into. One way would be to get an Indonesian friend to help you with an account that would be in the friend's name, but you would have the card and the PIN etc.

So before you leave check that you are setup OK for doing internet banking for International transfers from your Aust account. This may mean you need to get one of those security gizmos if you don't already have one, and you should check that the limit on International transfers is high enough.

No criticism, just my thoughts ok ronb :icon_wink:

Than this 'friend' could go to the kapolres and make a report for lost bankbook and atmcard, then with this report and his ID he/she goes to the bank and asks for a new atm card and booklet...result byebye money and in some cases also byebye honey. :icon_lol:

LATAH

Oct 12, 2010
I use a NAB Gold Visa Debit card. No fees whatsoever. For example, today i withdrew 1.5juta from any old ATM in Sanur and looking at my statement right now it cost me AUD$165.04. That's it, nothing more to pay. This is a conversion rate of AUD$1 = IDR9089 which in itself is also pretty good.

I also use a NAB Gold Visa Debit - it's a great solution if you have an Oz account.

sassyoz

May 18, 2011
Bali
Comm Bank

I have this set up with a local. All though I have the card/passbook and pin its still in her name and according to the bank, nothing stopping her going to the counter producing ID and making a withdrawal. I transfer once a month from oz account to Comm bank for a one off $20 fee

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
No criticism, just my thoughts ok ronb :icon_wink:

Than this 'friend' could go to the kapolres and make a report for lost bankbook and atmcard, then with this report and his ID he/she goes to the bank and asks for a new atm card and booklet...result byebye money and in some cases also byebye honey. :icon_lol:

Yes, for sure, so you need a friend that you trust.

Tamispecial

Oct 14, 2010
Legian Kaja
If you have an Australian Commonwealth bank account you can open a Commonwealth bank account here...easy and all done there and then. You can then use it at almost all atm's without any fees whatsoever.