balinews

The resort island of Bali could experience a severe water shortage as early as 2015 if population growth continues unimpeded, officials warned on Wednesday.

Tjokorda Ngurah Pemayun, head of the Bali Development Planning Agency (Bappeda), said the crowded southern tourist spots of Denpasar and Badung would be the worst affected.

The problem, he said, was that demand from the ever-increasing population was already outstripping groundwater supplies.

He said the current annual demand for water in Bali was around 5.3 million cubic meters, while groundwater resources only amounted to 4.7 million cubic meters a year.

Tjokorda said the projection over the next four years was based on a 2009 study by Japanese scientists, who predicted that the island’s population would increase by 300,000 from the current 4 million, mostly through transmigration from elsewhere in the country.

In response to the threat of a water shortage, Tjokorda said the Bali administration had in 2009 proposed a significant rate hike on groundwater extraction.

Hotels and restaurants on the resort island had been charged between Rp 2,000 and Rp 7,500 (23 cents and 88 cents) for every cubic meter of groundwater they extracted. But under a rate hike stipulated in a gubernatorial decree, they could have been paying Rp 20,000 to Rp 30,000 per cubic meter. H owever, Tjokorda said the administration had halved the target rates following protests from consumers.

Suharto Sarwan, director of water resources at the Public Works Ministry, said the water shortage could be exacerbated by the effects of climate change, which he blamed for erratic rainfall patterns.

“We’re seeing both protracted rainy seasons and shorter ones,” he said. “So there needs to be better management and conservation of water resources, such as through the development of dams or reservoirs.”

He also stressed the need for greater public awareness of the importance of conserving water.

Tjokorda said a feasibility study on drawing clean water from the Unda River in Klungkung district was currently being undertaken by a group of Korean investors.

If it goes through, he said, the project could be supplying water as early as next year, and would be sufficient to cover demand for the next 15 to 20 years.

Bali Officials Divining Solutions for Looming Water Shortages | The Jakarta Globe

Someone translate this into Balinese so that I can hang a sign out in front of our place to let people know that everytime they empty our pool or water tower they are not only being real pains in the ass but also harming themselves in the long run!

I'm sure there is a word for this but basically it is stick a pipe/hose in the body of water, suck and let flow.......

We live very very remotely and although we have a gate we have no fences completely surrounding our area.

So when someone feels we have done something wrong they don't talk to us (some things don't change and in Indonesia this is one of them). They do something to aggravate us.... ie empty the pool.

Forgive my ignorance, but how does someone else empty your pool or water tower?

I think you really need to sit down with your neighbours and talk about the perceived problems.

Hopefully, most of them are only misunderstandings and can be resolved with polite discussion. If not, your problems will only become worse.

I'm sure there is a word for this but basically it is stick a pipe/hose in the body of water, suck and let flow.......

Just to help with the word - syphon.
Noun 1. syphon - a tube running from the liquid in a vessel to a lower level outside the vessel so that atmospheric pressure forces the liquid through the tube

Well as a woman and a foreign one at that I can not sit down and talk to the people in the village...... And I would actually have to know who it was before I could talk to them. I have an idea most times but that does not help if I have no real proof of who it is.

It is the same all over the world. People scratch you new car because of envy, throw garbage in your garden because they think you need to keep your garden cleaner, let their dog shit on your walk way because they don't like your smile..... What ever it is most times these people don't want to talk and talking would not get you anywhere.

I have my friends in the village and a few men with whom I sit and drink in the evenings to discuss my concern of certain things. They are the ones that help me and voice my thoughts and concerns at village meetings.

If things would be getting worse then they should already be so. Our place exists 10 years now and we've had this problem pretty much since the start. By now the water tower is pad locked and the pool.... well the emptying of the pool has only been a 3 time thing.

It is the way the world turns..... As long as no one is harmed we grin and bear it. The local police come for coffee on a regular basis and we talk about these things.

Reminds of the time in Jakarta when one of our employees wanted to quite so my Dad: Fine you can go now. The next week we had a nice newspaper wrapped package of shit in our pool. Happened only once..... but I'll never forget it.

I think you really need to sit down with your neighbours and talk about the perceived problems.

Hopefully, most of them are only misunderstandings and can be resolved with polite discussion. If not, your problems will only become worse.

For me this thread could be broken up into at least 3 different areas:
1) Water - now I think all this about water shortage is basically bullshit - in the last 3 days it's rained at least 4 million cubic meters over my house alone and from what I've heard it's been doing that since January - as a matter of fact, it's rained so much here that the river course has changed and dug much deeper. And what about the article a couple of weeks back about the lakes in the mountains being so full they're driving people out of their houses? Little old cynical me thinks this is just a way to boost the bills for hotels and hey, if they run out in Kuta who gives a phlying phuck? The bogans can bring a billabong full when they come.:icon_wink:

Claudia you seem to have some serious problems there that I've never heard of - thanks for the tip though - newspaper wrapped shit in the pool! Wow! never would have thought of that myself. Must try it on someone...?

It is keeping that water from crashing down the hillsides that seems to be a problem in Indonesia. Many times I've experienced the road going out of Candidasa in direction Amlapura turning into a river during heavy rains.

If the run out in Kuta...... heaven help us in the East - they'll all come there looking for fresh water!

I don't understand why people think I have a serious problem. I don't! This is a human failing and it outs itself in different ways in different countries. Jealousy and envy lead the human to do nasty things......

At the moment we have no problems..... but I know that the next thing will come when I look for a new member of staff and find no one in our village. If I then offer the job to some one from a neighboring village they'll steal a banana tree. That is how it works....

Claudia you seem to have some serious problems there that I've never heard of - thanks for the tip though - newspaper wrapped shit in the pool! Wow! never would have thought of that myself. Must try it on someone...?[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why people think I have a serious problem. I don't! This is a human failing and it outs itself in different ways in different countries. Jealousy and envy lead the human to do nasty things......

At the moment we have no problems..... but I know that the next thing will come when I look for a new member of staff and find no one in our village. If I then offer the job to some one from a neighboring village they'll steal a banana tree. That is how it works....

I gotta say the reason I wondered is you seem to think these problems that you are having with the neighbours are NORMAL!

I, for sure, disagree. You say the locals will steal a banana tree because you hire someone from another local village. I have a completely different experience of this little island - maybe I'm the odd man out here.

Love to hear from others here what they think...?

I'm with you, Markit. Up to this point (touch wood), my Balinese neighbours have been nothing but friendly and helpful.

The only problems I've had are with contract workers from Jawa next door, but that's another story. :icon_rolleyes:

Well maybe it is the remoteness of where we are..... the only bule in the village and none in the neighboring village.....

So no one has had a pet poisoned, a banana tree stolen (not that we don't have enough), water main turned off (problem remedied), electricity main switched off (still need to fix the door so it can be locked)....

be honest!

I or my parents have lived on and off long enough in Indonesia (Jakarta and small village in Karengasem) to know that these MINOR problems do occur. They are seldom enough for me to not take them seriously. Sure I'd like to know what the idea is behind these occurrences but I'm not one to be demanding that the case be solved right away. Guess I've been Indonesian influenced..... besok aja deh!

The shit in the pool was in the 70's - but a story I'll never forget.

The water problems on and off now for 10 years.

If you live in a large town then you won't have the problems with hiring from another village..... Where we are there is no employment to be had. They all have to drive to Amlapura if they want employment. Many end up going down South to get a job.

Enough said..... packing suitcases and boxes for my next sojourn in the tropics!

I do have to ask, what is it that you want doing that you can't hire someone from your own village to do?

I'm sure everyone knows and does this but my humble success with the local area and people (Claudia I am your neighbour in Jasri) is due to being as aware as I can be that I'm an honoured guest in this country and I try to be as gentle and friendly as the locals.

For instance, we have a very bumpy dirt road that leads to us and the beach - when I'm in the car driving and meet locals on bikes or motorcycles I stop and let them go by at their speed. Others don't do that and it's, at the least, difficult for the bike rider, if not dangerous and absolutely no difficulty for me - I just have to move my foot 3 centimetres:icon_biggrin:.

Everyone appreciates consideration and I absolutely get back what I give.

Household staff and gardening..... I do have two women from the village working in the garden - not the most reliable and always looking for reasons not to do something. Constant bickering about each other..... BUT hey I had than in Germany with my employees too.

Household staff - I had one live in guy, but when he finished is schooling I told him to go out and work in the teaching field which is what he studied. Then found no on from the village who was willing to take over that job. Now I have three (one live in) from one family. They come from a neighboring village. These three are the best staff I've had. In fact over the years we've become very good friends. With the whole family.

Jasri is more bule populated than where I am. I'm in Kuhum near Abianjero.....

I get back what I give..... no worries there. But like I mentioned before I've been and my parents before me living in Indonesia long enough to know that sometimes the people to strange things.

The people that work for me and all those that I have regular contact with know me and know that I would like for them to talk with me. I also know that you cannot go directly to the point but need to beat around the bush..... Indonesians on the whole are not comfortable with direct confrontation. But my staff know that if they have a problem I want to hear of it!

So long story short! Instead of coming to me or my staff to complain about something that was bothering them they play stupid games. But you have this all over the world. The more educated the easier to discuss problems with. I know who in my village or neighboring village I can talk to and who not.

Come by some time and you'll see how remote we are.....

I do have to ask, what is it that you want doing that you can't hire someone from your own village to do?

I'm sure everyone knows and does this but my humble success with the local area and people (Claudia I am your neighbour in Jasri) is due to being as aware as I can be that I'm an honoured guest in this country and I try to be as gentle and friendly as the locals.

For instance, we have a very bumpy dirt road that leads to us and the beach - when I'm in the car driving and meet locals on bikes or motorcycles I stop and let them go by at their speed. Others don't do that and it's, at the least, difficult for the bike rider, if not dangerous and absolutely no difficulty for me - I just have to move my foot 3 centimetres:icon_biggrin:.

Everyone appreciates consideration and I absolutely get back what I give.

Back