Gabby

Aug 17, 2008
www.gabbylewis.com
My little project is really only "a pimple on the universe's ass" too but I figure every little bit helps. Perhaps Roy's stand will create a butterfly effect that will one day see no more dog sacrifices. I think we each have to follow our hearts and do our own little bit. :)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning Tintin? :D

As for using your photography to help the dogs the Balinese do not care about, why not use it to help the children of the world who are dieing from poverty, desease, starvation and war. I far more worthy topic in my opinion.

or perhaps we should start a save the cuddly amoeba campaign...after all they are life too.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Good grief Mimpi, you really shouldn’t work so hard making public declarations that you have absolutely NO sense of humor! :p :lol: :lol:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Like I have a 12 guage shotgun here in Bali???!!! :roll: :roll:

Sure, I've thrown stones at dogs that were menacing. And in the old house, I'd throw stones to break up fight nights at 2AM in front of the house. Maybe I should have thrown porter house steaks at them instead? :p

Would you care to quote me the last time I went four years back in the archives to make a point? If you think I do it often, then this should be easy for you.

Cheers! :roll:

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Without going into the archives to search - I can recall you seem to do it quite often with Tintin.

You also were able to tell me when I started my Lombok forum - which I myself couldnt do without checking.

And Roy I am not going to get into a fight with you in PM so dont bother messaging me again.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
And Roy I am not going to get into a fight with you in PM so dont bother messaging me again.

Then you might be careful who you call a hypocrite, and why. Is that fair enough for you? :x

Gabby

Aug 17, 2008
www.gabbylewis.com
Ummm I appreciate that emotions can run high on arguable topics like this one but I would really appreciate any more anecdotes that people might like to share! :D

In a post further back in this thread I mentioned that Java had tried to eradicate all it's dogs and it was inferred that Bali had too. I don't consider it a reliable source and can't pinpoint any corroborating info on the net.
http://www.baliblog.com/travel-tips/bal ... i-dog.html
Has anyone on this forum heard anything about this?

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
How could any island hope to get rid of all its dogs? They exist everywhere. And just as an aside, it would be interesting to see this much space given to saving homeless kids and mentally ill adults.

Gabby

Aug 17, 2008
www.gabbylewis.com
It seems a child was bitten by a rabid dog in Java which caused a bit of a panic and they tried to get rid of all the dogs but you're right, Drbruce, they weren't able to eradicate all the dogs - there is plenty of newsy type stuff about it on the net. Although rabies is viral it seems the Balinese dogs don't have it!

I appreciate your sentiments regarding homeless kids and mentally ill adults. There is help needed on so many fronts!

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Gabby said:
Although rabies is viral it seems the Balinese dogs don't have it!

Who knows this?

Fact is, Bali is not rabbies free, there are cases of rabies reported on Bali transmitted by bats and monkeys, although I personally haven't heard yet about a case with a dog involved, but considering the information policy of Indonesian authorities I wouldn't be surprised.

So we do have bats and monkeys with rabbies on Bali, why should we assume that dogs and cats and free of it?

best regards
Thorsten

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Both Bali & Lombok have signs at domestic arrivals about being rabies free.

However I recall several years ago (in Lombok) not being able to get hold of my vet and when I eventually did he had been at a meeting about controlling or eradicating the rabies on Lombok.

And even if they claim to be rabies free, with frequent ferries between the islands who is to know if rats from infected areas are coming through.

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Another thing.

Kadek mentioned the anecdote with the coloured chicken of her nieces.
Padma ( her brother) was not pleased to have this chicken on his compound, that was exactly the time when Avian flue was the big theme around the world, with Indonesia on top.

Probably the chicks were form Java ( but also Bali had officially reported cases of chicken flue), soon one after the other got sick, one or two died and Padma was hesitant to let the rest “disappear” because of the girls.
I was almost preaching on him to get rid of them.

I personally never witnessed that Balinese would treat animals worse than anywhere else in the world, yes animal sacrifices are discussable, but this is a matter of religion and religion is also hardly discussable – any religion.
Let’s talk about the street dogs – in any Western country they would have already “disappeared”, they are a pest for Bali and nursing them is not the solution, sorry guys.
I was raised with dogs and we always had dogs, I consider myself as an animal lover, but this will not mean to lack any kind of sense for reality.

Best regards
Thorsten

Gabby

Aug 17, 2008
www.gabbylewis.com
I would like to thank everyone for their participation in this thread. It's been a huge learning experience for me and one that I really appreciate - it will also greatly help me with my project.

If anyone has any other information they might like to share - the kind of thing outsiders might not know about - I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to pm or email me any time! :D

Gabby

Aug 17, 2008
www.gabbylewis.com
Thanks mimpimanis - I hope I can do the dogs of Bali justice!

Great link Roy (now saved) - much appreciated!

On our visit to Bali last year, we took the kids (at the time 11 and 12yo). Both of them came down with Dengue Fever. Nice long incubation period - long enough for them to enjoy the entire holiday (about 2 weeks) but we had my oldest in the hospital emergency dept on our first night home with a horribly high fever we just couldn't get down. Very scary! We were lucky that they had only contracted one strain - if you get two or more at the same time that's really bad news and not a good outcome. Aeroguard is now our best friend!