Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Hello Jimbo – did you quit that job and live happily in Singarja bro? I know you like it there.

Not yet mate. Hopefully I am going back to Bali in April for several months on a serious house hunting expedition....unless of corse my banks collapse and I am left with a lot less :(

Anyhow nice to see you back and welcome.

Dasha

Aug 9, 2006
Mornington Peninsula Melbourne
Gedday Gab

Great link – I like the idea of a free download. And although I have not had a dip yet I can see that it is fairly easy to navigate. Just gunna get Linda.com to get a free tutorial to help get started. Now I have to get my dashalive.com URL back off the guy who has it now after I let it lapse. He is asking $600.00 US for the privilege!

Here’s my 2 links to show you what I am doing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22370474@N03/

http://www.panoramio.com/user/723890

There are some Indo shots buried there from last year. I am in the process of downsizing many of the images as I have only recently found out that quite a few have been ripped with no acknowledgment to the all rights reserved or copyright factor. Such is the web these days I guess.

Your very sturdy yet simple preso appealed when I saw it the other day so thank you again for posting it. Very helpful indeed.

Bert, crikey. It took me about an hour to plough through the whole Sri Kumala drama on the wreckage at Sanur. Can’t say I am glad I was around Denpasar around 1914, or surfing Tanjungs Keramas or black sands at the time. What a story.

Jimbo – might be time to head back now as I think the banks have already hit rock bottom. Can it get any worse? Ozi dollar, today, is at 65cents against the US $. 3 weeks ago we were at 96cents.

I will join you – at least we can be poor together aye?

Dash

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Hi Dasha,

glad to see you back here and I really love your photos !!!

Wow, have seen a lot of HDRs already, but yours are really, really great and for your wide angle shots, you must spend a lot of time on Photoshop –eh?

For the guys out there – you must view these images on slideshow to get a decent resolution and a real impression, maybe Bert should start a photo section here with so many good photographers on this forum and I will donate my recently bought D 300 for prize, gee, it’s so frustrating sometimes :oops:

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Spectacular photos, Dasha.

Is it by the particular camera you use that you get such vibrant colours?
What's the value in these kinds of photographs or if they were shot in black and whites, would that be considered more artistic and more valuable? I'm just curious on your take as a photographer.

Dasha

Aug 9, 2006
Mornington Peninsula Melbourne
Thank you Mimpi. I have a few in the archive from down your way, which I hope to get to at some stage and post produce. Bert has a photo area on the Pod (which I have forgotten how to navigate) and I would like to add a few of the Bali kids portraits. I’m not very good at portraits but I think a few are pretty worthy from Ubud last year. Along with a few funny ones with Mats and Sunarian in a “big day” at Nuris.

Thank you also Thorsten. Yes the HDR thing has been pretty big with me for some time now. I went through a phase of doing those cartoon sort of images and have managed to get to a point where it keep it as minimal as possible with an emphasis on the subject and natural shooting. Keeping away from the CS3 tools is hard, as I just can’t help but contrast and saturate to get the image looking as good as I can.

Thanks too Milan for your kind words. The camera is used in some ways to get the colors as I shoot in “bracketed” shots. All of them are in fact 3 to 5 shots combined to make one. They are exactly the same image but have 3 to 5 exposure levels. I then use a program called Photomatix to create a High Dynamic Range image.
Hard to say the value as I am just starting to get my work into the galleries here in Australia.
The black and white I am yet to discover. I am looking forward to doing some work there as soon as I master the color and light aspect of photography. I still have a lot to learn. Knowing when to go to monochrome from color is probably the biggest challenge for me at this point.

Cheers :D

Dash

SteffandShaz

Nov 16, 2006
Warwick Qld Australia
Thanks for sharing your photos Dasha, and welcome back :) I know...sorry everyone, this is totally off the Bali Dogs topic...but...

I have to say Dasha that I especially appreciated the photos from Townsville, Crystal Creek, Rollingstone areas; brought back fond memories of my 20 year stint living up there. I don't think I've ever seen such stunning pictures of the area. Have you approached their Tourism gurus? I'm sure that images such as these would start to bring more tourists to that area.

If ever you're heading to the Lockyer Valley get in touch. We have some classic old slab barns and dairy buildings in our immediate area.

Cheers,
Shaz

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Just in case some people don't realise.
Dasha is a great photographer.

Why?

See his works so far. (Links in earlier posts, above.)

He is passionate about his art.
Willing to learn more everyday.
Two brilliant ingredients.

The "best" is yet to come.

:D

BTW...This $600 for your URL stuff seems a bit left-field to me.
Also, this has nothing to do with Bali Dogs. Might be time to move this stuff to its own thread. How about it, Admin?

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
Talking about Bali dogs,

i was recently in Bali, (are we allowed to mention the name of a shop on this forum) ?

i spent the afternoon in tears after what i saw in this particular shop, actually i was
traumatised.

I LOVE everything about Bali, EXCEPT !

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Chilli there is ne pet shop here that is renowned.

Before knowing of it's reputation, I was twice in there looking for accessories etc. On both occasions there were foreigners in there upset about having purchased a puppy that had died within days. Having asked around I heard it happens all the time there.

In comparison the petshop I bought Janji from - the owner called me by the time I got home to make sure everything was okay and remind me that I would need to get boosters done. And when she saw him a few months later, gave us a good telling off for the weight he had put on and what a risk it was to his health. Though I won't name the bad, I will the GOOD - Scooby Doo in Jimbaran. :)

sterky

Oct 14, 2008
I am going to be a new Bali resident from Australia on lemongan Is, we are bringing our old Afghan Hound, and little bitsa with us. It has cost us more time and money to organise permits and vet proceedures than our four teenagers but could not leave the dogs at home! The teenagers, WELL!!!!! Anyway the Balinese family we are in close contact with have bought a beautiful little dog, and love it to bits. We are looking forward to Blackie, teaching our woofers Balinese. So not all Indonesian dogs are neglected, I agree the magority seem to be, and I will do all I can to help with this problem on the Island!

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Demodex - but it has spread due to my vet not diagnosing it and treating for allergies and Scabies. I went to another vet for a second opinion and he said allergy too but as he started to get infections my vet suggested another third vet to go to - who took a skin sample and had diagnosed it within 24 hours. It's not the demodex which is the problem now though but the secondary infections.... :( :(

100_0228.jpg

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Hi Dasha,

just got photomatix pro 3.O and created my first HDR (in five minutes)- tried to keep the colours natural, but there is also lot of noise in the image.

Thanks for your inspiration and best regards
Thorsten

Guess it will take some time before I will have some decent results :roll:[attachment=0:2xwklbmr]Herbstwald 2_01.JPG[/attachment:2xwklbmr]

This preview is not good, unfortunately Bert doesn't allow a better file here :(

Attachments

• Herbstwald 2_01.JPG
    Herbstwald 2_01.JPG
    419.9 KB · Views: 101

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
I like it, Thorsten

Especially if, as you say, it was a five minute job using Photomatix.
...This preview is not good, unfortunately Bert doesn't allow a better file here...
Well, this is a forum, after all. Dropping a 420 KB file here is not the way to go (IMHO).

If you want people to see your real image, in all its glory, I suggest you upload it to a free image host, (like Flickr), or your own server (if you have one), and drop the link to it in this forum.

I've said this before and will repeat myself. This thread is supposed to be about Bali Dogs.

I think the posts dealing with "photography" here should be moved to a new area. I also know that our Admin is rather busy these days. Maybe next week.

:D

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Sanurian said:
I've said this before and will repeat myself. This thread is supposed to be about Bali Dogs.

Oh yes, haven't you seen the original Bali dog behind the tree on the left side? :wink:

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
...Oh yes, haven't you seen the original Bali dog behind the tree on the left side?...

Now you mention it, no.

Maybe I downloaded the wrong picture.
I was looking at Herbstwald2_01.JPG.jpeg

Or was the dog you refer to already compost?
:p

BALIHI

Aug 3, 2008
Dasha , I havent seen colors like that since 71, after some guy gave me a little white piece of paper to eat ! wow ... mimp ... what a cute baby you have there .