gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
I know its a bad time to be looking but we were are putting the feelers out in case anyone knows of a good english speaking driver and an english speaking nanny/ cleaner/ cook ??

We have a cleaner that our maintenance guy arranged for the short term but she knows no english and it is very hard to communicate with. Any ideas ???

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
I know its a bad time to be looking but we were are putting the feelers out in case anyone knows of a good english speaking driver and an english speaking nanny/ cleaner/ cook ??

We have a cleaner that our maintenance guy arranged for the short term but she knows no english and it is very hard to communicate with. Any ideas ???

I got an idea...learn to speak Indonesian.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
If the cleaner you have is good, stick with her. It will amaze you how quickly she will learn English and how quickly your children will pick up Bahasa Indonesian.
Try picking up the broom, point at it and say "Bahasa Inggris.....Broom." Look at her and ask "Bahasa Indonesia......apa?". She will pick up your intent and respond with "sapu".
Immediately you are off and flying. (pun intended).
Before long you and her will have a dozen common words and the learning process will become fun for both of you.
This web site gives you easy word to word translation. Open it and show her. She will enjoy the learning as much as you will.
Sederet.com - - Free Indonesian English Translator
Call into the Ducks Nutz Bar & Grill in Sanur. The 13 year old daughter of the owners speaks very good Bahasa Indonesian. If your crew are of a similar age they will pick up a lot of the language from her.

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
If the cleaner you have is good, stick with her. It will amaze you how quickly she will learn English and how quickly your children will pick up Bahasa Indonesian.
Try picking up the broom, point at it and say "Bahasa Inggris.....Broom." Look at her and ask "Bahasa Indonesia......apa?". She will pick up your intent and respond with "sapu".
Before long you and her will have a dozen common words and the learning process will become fun for both of you.
This web site gives you easy word to word translation. Open it and show her. She will enjoy the learning as much as you will.
Call into the Ducks Nutz Bar & Grill in Sanur. The 13 year old daughter of the owners speaks very good Bahasa Indonesian. If your crew are of a similar age they will pick up a lot of the language from her.

Hi there, thanks for the suggestion. I did actually get onto the google translater yesterday and tryd a few things but she dosnt seem all that responsive.
Ill keep plugging away at it anyway, see where we get.
At the end of the day we still would rather have one person who can be nanny etc.

Good to here about Ducks Nuts owners daughter, our kids are of similar age so we must visit, my husband will be happy :icon_wink:
We have been meaning to check it out for awhile now though, so works out well !!!

alphonso

May 26, 2011
anyone knows of a good english speaking driver ??

Pretty much every balinese with a car doubles as a driver. Most speak english, some better than others. Just go for a wander down the main street of Sanur and you'll be sure to find a dozen "transport?" guys ready to be your driver.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud

Great information, hopefully lots of others new to bali will read this,

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
I have been useing the translators & find them great but still no great response, until Evi wrote down that she was having the day off tomorrow !!!!!! At least I could translate that !!!!