mobilemama

Jul 25, 2010
jimbaran
Hi does anyone know if I have a aud$ account at a bank can i withdraw aussie $ or will they just give the equivalent in rupiah, the bank exchange rates for transfers are woeful at present and I am not prepared to loose so much on transfers into my rupiah account, i currently bank Mandiri which is very good but I would like to have aussie dollar account for my transfers.

Any ideas anyone, on how to beat the bank exchange rates.:icon_sad:

mobilemama

Jul 25, 2010
jimbaran
commonwealth banl account

Finally mamaged to get into bank today found out that the commonwealth bank only charges a fee of 1$ and I can have an aussie $ account and withdraw Aussie $ to change in the street or I can change to rupiah and transfer to my rupiah account, their exchange rates seem better than most and are a bit negoiatable, so thats where i'll be opening my next account. also can have joint account but only one card which is fine for us.
We will only have to pay the transfer fee from our bank in aus.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Thanks for that info, I am sure it will be helpful to many of us...:icon_razz:

I had one of those accounts with the idea I would transfer Aussie dollars here to the $ account then watch the exchange rates to pick when to change to Rp. But I never really made use of it and discontinued it. Now I only have a Rp account with the Commonwealth here, transfer AU$ which get converted on arrival - and I am quite happy with the exchange rates.

mobilemama

Jul 25, 2010
jimbaran
exchange rate losses

I had one of those accounts with the idea I would transfer Aussie dollars here to the $ account then watch the exchange rates to pick when to change to Rp. But I never really made use of it and discontinued it. Now I only have a Rp account with the Commonwealth here, transfer AU$ which get converted on arrival - and I am quite happy with the exchange rates.

Thanks Ronb
We lost so much money on the exchange rate when we were bringing in most of our money, we have to be careful now, so decided to do it this way, no matter how we transfered our money we lost big time on the exchange rates at banks compared to what we could get on the street, commonwealth have also seemed to be pretty good with the exchange rate, makes a huge difference over a few thousand $, we always seem to need the money transfered when rates drop a bomb, hopefully will stay up now.:icon_rolleyes:

Only problem is working out how long the transfer takes !!!

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Transfering money

From Australian Commonwealth to Indo Commonwealth if done before 4pm weekdays turnaround time is 2 days. :icon_razz:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
From Australian Commonwealth to Indo Commonwealth if done before 4pm weekdays turnaround time is 2 days. :icon_razz:

If early on a working day (in Bali) it can arrive same day - at worst it is next working day. This is when I use Internet banking for my Aussie account.

supertago

Sep 3, 2010
Roma
If early on a working day (in Bali) it can arrive same day - at worst it is next working day. This is when I use Internet banking for my Aussie account.
Ronb , you seem to me to be very helpful .
So , my question is : I'm planning to live the next 2-5 years in Bali , after spending there many holydays . I will come in dec to find a bank to deposit my euros . I cannot get the Kitas at that time , so I will get only the 12 months / 60 days each time visa , made by indonesian embassy in Roma .
Do you think some bank will accept a deposit in euros without a KITAS ? Don't need any atm card or checks , only need a deposit .
Thank you in advance !

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Do you think some bank will accept a deposit in euros without a KITAS ? Don't need any atm card or checks , only need a deposit .
You will find many threads in the forum on this. My summary of what I think they have said is that banks should require the account holder to have a kitas, but in the eagerness to get business it would seem that they can be flexible. One approach can be to ask you to go with a kitas holder when opening the account - I think you end up getting what looks like a shared account with the kitas holder, but the non-kitas partner may have the signing rights and the ATM card. So when you come here, have a short list of banks you would be happy to deal with, and then go and ask. They want your business.

mobilemama

Jul 25, 2010
jimbaran
anz aust to comm ind

I wish it was this fast for us its been six days (weekend) and still no money. we are so fed up I am taking a trip back to perth to open commonwealth bank there and close anz, they are a toltal fraud told us same day if done in morning, never been less than 3 days so far. This transfer has got lost somewhere and they want to charge us to find it.:icon_evil:

I think I must go Hubby will blw up bank if he gets a chance at least he might get arrested for abuse of bank staff, safer i go :icon_biggrin:

supertago

Sep 3, 2010
Roma
You will find many threads in the forum on this. My summary of what I think they have said is that banks should require the account holder to have a kitas, but in the eagerness to get business it would seem that they can be flexible. One approach can be to ask you to go with a kitas holder when opening the account - I think you end up getting what looks like a shared account with the kitas holder, but the non-kitas partner may have the signing rights and the ATM card. So when you come here, have a short list of banks you would be happy to deal with, and then go and ask. They want your business.
Ty very much , Ronb !
One more question : Can you suggest few indo bank i can get into ?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Ty very much , Ronb !
One more question : Can you suggest few indo bank i can get into ?

Here are a few - others may add:

Commonwealth Bank Indonesia - a small Indo bank owned by a big Aussie bank. Belongs to ATM Bersama (see ATM Bersama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) so you can use many ATMS (no fee) including BCA, BNI, Mandiri, and more

BCA- has a large network of ATMs, offers services via ATM to pay Indovision etc

BNI - many ATMs, government owned I think, you can pay Lion Air from an ATM - so you book your flight on the web, then have a couple of hours to get to an ATM and pay

Mandriri - also a large network of ATMs, and also goverment owned I think, and services via the ATM - but I am not so familiar with them

Of these, I am familiar with Internet banking provided by Commonwelath and BCA - both work well and use those little gizmos that give you a number to enter into the web session for security.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Adding to RonB's information, we use Danamon Bank and are happy with their customer service in Ubud. They have plenty of ATMs. They also offer internet banking with the security gizmo.

supertago

Sep 3, 2010
Roma
Adding to RonB's information, we use Danamon Bank and are happy with their customer service in Ubud. They have plenty of ATMs. They also offer internet banking with the security gizmo.
ty both of you , Ronb&Pollyanna !
So , here is my plan :
- I will spend 1 month in Feb /11 , looking for 12-months accomodation , bank account and business opportunity . Then looking for a reputable agent to get a sosial visa .
- Back to Italy , get the visa , packing some stuff ( those unsold...) and chasing my mirage !!
May I ask you which is the most popular business for expats ? i can assume it's something involved in tourism , a little crowded branch , I guess...
once again , many thanks