Feb 12, 2010
Please complete our online survey:

Retire in Bali questionaire Survey

It's just five simple questions.

Last edited:

Jesse

Feb 16, 2010
Melbourne
Just completed the survey, I think there should be also some sort of poll about those general question here. :icon_wink:

Vin

Oct 1, 2009
Singapore, Tabanan
I completed the survey too. Planning to move to Bali by 2012...My wife and I will both be in our late 50's by then...and would love to catch up with people in our age group. A separate thread... on and by... retirees would be great on this forum.

Pa_Yan

Dec 9, 2005
Spam?

I've just opened the questions, but it looks like a survey to see what spam to be send to some one. A question like "What kinds of things do your require information about?" looks like spam to me. It could be just a survey, but it looks like spam to me:icon_rolleyes:.

balipod-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2010
Spam is unsolicited mail, and there is no where to enter your email address. It's just a bit of market research.

Jesse

Feb 16, 2010
Melbourne
I've just opened the questions, but it looks like a survey to see what spam to be send to some one. A question like "What kinds of things do your require information about?" looks like spam to me. It could be just a survey, but it looks like spam to me:icon_rolleyes:.

Actually the format of the survey is almost the same as the global survey marketing firm which they pay the people to answer the question in the surveys.

Maybe you are referring to those links or websites that requires you to do survey first for you to enable to view the page which sometimes end up repeating the whole process because of some sort of error which is a spam.

BlueGirl

Jul 31, 2010
Retirees. 50 and above age group

I completed the survey too. Planning to move to Bali by 2012...My wife and I will both be in our late 50's by then...and would love to catch up with people in our age group. A separate thread... on and by... retirees would be great on this forum.

That is a great idea. I would love to meet up with other 'more seasoned' expats who are either living in Bali, or planning on retiring there soon. My husband and I are contemplating Thailand or Bali for retirement, and may do a few years in both. Discussing retirement and living issues would be helpful.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
That is a great idea. I would love to meet up with other 'more seasoned' expats who are either living in Bali, or planning on retiring there soon. My husband and I are contemplating Thailand or Bali for retirement, and may do a few years in both. Discussing retirement and living issues would be helpful.

Bluegirl, the idea of spending time in both locations, Bali and Thailand is a smart idea. It isn't until you really live in a place that you know how you feel about it, the things you like, and the things that bother you that you wouldn't have thought of before the move.

We moved to Bali only a couple of months ago and we are very happy here. We're both glad we made the move. We love the friendly people who never seem to be aggravated. We're enjoying the food and the climate suits us well. Bali and Thailand both have a lot of diversity. Cities, small villages, the coast, the hills, etc. and what suits one person won't necessarily suit another. Wandering around in BaliPod will give you a lot of information about things like medical care, insurance, transportation, housing, food, and expat life in general.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
There was an article recently in Time comparing Phuket and Bali.

Phuket and Bali have nurtured a healthy rivalry with each other, trading off the honor of being listed as Asia's best island in travel magazines. Phuket aficionados talk loftily of the Thai island's superior beaches and cheap but professional hospitals, while Bali fans boast of the island's volcanoes and great surfing spots. Nevertheless, the business of vacation villas isn't a zero-sum game, largely because the members of the international jet set who dig Phuket are a breed apart from the culture vultures who flock to the Indonesian island. "People are usually either Bali people or Phuket people," says Dominique Gallmann, the Swiss-born director of Exotiq Real Estate, which has offices in both Thailand and Indonesia. "They attract different crowds, so the idea of the two islands fighting over the second-home market isn't really true."

Read more: Travel: A Tale of Two Islands - TIME

supertago

Sep 3, 2010
Roma
Just filled the survey , planning to move in feb 2011 hoping to find some italian there ...seems to me to be the only one on the forum !:icon_rolleyes:

fundj

Mar 25, 2010
sydney
Just filled the survey , planning to move in feb 2011 hoping to find some italian there ...seems to me to be the only one on the forum !:icon_rolleyes:

i am italian but i live in austraila will be in bali feb 2011, we hope to start building then and move to bali by the end of 2012. where are you going to live? we will be in jimbaran .

ciao

supertago

Sep 3, 2010
Roma
i am italian but i live in austraila will be in bali feb 2011, we hope to start building then and move to bali by the end of 2012. where are you going to live? we will be in jimbaran .

ciao
Ciao !
I will get there in feb for 2 months . During those weeks will check some land to rent , but I know the laws , it will take long time . My favourite places are near Uluwatu or Canggu , but the final choice will depend on the business I will set up . Anyway , first of all I need to be elegible for a longer visa , bank account...I am considering to lease a small area and put some prefab home on it , what do you think about ?

Tamispecial

Oct 14, 2010
Legian Kaja
Ciao !
I will get there in feb for 2 months . During those weeks will check some land to rent , but I know the laws , it will take long time . My favourite places are near Uluwatu or Canggu , but the final choice will depend on the business I will set up . Anyway , first of all I need to be elegible for a longer visa , bank account...I am considering to lease a small area and put some prefab home on it , what do you think about ?

This is Bali.....prefab homes are not welcome.....there are far too many Europeans coming here and putting up western style crap that doesn't blend in with the Balinese architecture......by all means build something but please NOT a prefab....Bali is losing it's architectural beauty at a far too rapid point and western development has to be either stopped or limited otherwise it will just be like Las Vegas or the sunshine coast......keep Bali original PLEASE.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Pre fab houses

This is Bali.....prefab homes are not welcome.....there are far too many Europeans coming here and putting up western style crap that doesn't blend in with the Balinese architecture......by all means build something but please NOT a prefab....Bali is losing it's architectural beauty at a far too rapid point and western development has to be either stopped or limited otherwise it will just be like Las Vegas or the sunshine coast......keep Bali original PLEASE.

Totally agree Tami, but if the unfortunate occurs and the pre fab is built, the main joy will be that the termites will have a huge feast and it will be dust, hopefully in a short period of time.
This is of course my personal opinion!!!!!!!:icon_lol:

Dec 13, 2009
USA
Some concerns

Hello Everyone,
We are talking about Are you planning on retiring in Bali?
top 10 travel
Bali is becoming one of Asia’s favorite places for foreigners who are looking to retire somewhere where life is somewhat simpler (and cheaper) than in the West.
If you are interested in retiring in Bali, I would love to know what kind of concerns you have.

Hi,

We, Robert and Maria, are a mixed couple in US and have been working long distance with our realtor in North Bali for many months and are in long-distance negotiations with another mixed couple (woman in Bali, man in Europe) regarding a propety near Lovina. We have an Indonesian nominee (family member in JKT) who will ultimately hold Hak Malik title sertifikat though we may pursue Hak Pakai from the family member to ease building and living. Make sense so far? As the bule I'm not concerned about my non-existent property rights as we want what we build to flow down her side in Indonesia anyway. If we should divorce sobeit. When is it best to do Hak Pakai and how much might it cost for 25 years given family connection? Is it better to avoid Hak Pakai and rent from family member for Retiree Visa reasons?

The property we are hoping to close on sooner than later has limited listrik quota (1.3KW) though the listrik towers are in our distant view of the Bali Sea. We would hope to increase the PLN?? as we erect a larger home. I understand this can be problematic. How much do we need to worry or do I just grease the right skids? Is the new line being added in the South yet and will that free up some electricity quota or is Bali growing to fast?

As property prices are all over the map, may I ask what is a fair price in Lovina? I've seen 6-30 Jt/are.How readily available are contractors/laborers/building materials in North Bali, say jobsite is 5km from Singaraja? We ask because we might like to sub-divide and build more villas if we can build and unload them fairly easily and inexpensively.

We have about 4 years before we can be there permanently but are trying to prepare for the longer term since we know how slow things can move over there. We also need to diversify our holdings some more. So why not property in Bali?

Having been to Indonesia and Bali many times we think we have a fair idea about the treat we are in for. Do you expats have any regrets we should be aware of, we mean beyond the obvious korupsi, politics and crime?

Will the airport ever be constructed in the north? We hope to travel and don't look forward to the commute from Lovina to Denpasar each time but we suppose that comes with rural living. We expect we'll be dead before the new airport is completed.

Well, thanks for the opportunity to introduce ourselves and we look forward to reading your inputs. Thanks for sharing!

Warm Regards,

Robert and Maria

Last edited:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA

After reading this and your following remark about a "prefab", maybe it would be better for you to say in Italy: there are MANY Italians there, after all...

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Hi,

We, Robert and Maria, are a mixed couple in US and have been working long distance with our realtor in North Bali for many months and are in long-distance negotiations with another mixed couple (woman in Bali, man in Europe) regarding a propety near Lovina. We have an Indonesian nominee (family member in JKT) who will ultimately hold Hak Malik title sertifikat though we may pursue Hak Pakai from the family member to ease building and living. Make sense so far? As the bule I'm not concerned about my non-existent property rights as we want what we build to flow down her side in Indonesia anyway. If we should divorce sobeit. When is it best to do Hak Pakai and how much might it cost for 25 years given family connection? Is it better to avoid Hak Pakai and rent from family member for Retiree Visa reasons?

My understanding is that the nominee needs to have Bali resident status - but maybe I am wrong.
The property we are hoping to close on sooner than later has limited listrik quota (1.3KW) though the listrik towers are in our distant view of the Bali Sea. We would hope to increase the PLN?? as we erect a larger home. I understand this can be problematic. How much do we need to worry or do I just grease the right skids? Is the new line being added in the South yet and will that free up some electricity quota or is Bali growing to fast?
With the 1.3 Kw you have something - so then you can take your time seeking an upgrade. In the end I think you will succeed.

As property prices are all over the map, may I ask what is a fair price in Lovina? I've seen 6-30 Jt/are.How readily available are contractors/laborers/building materials in North Bali, say jobsite is 5km from Singaraja? We ask because we might like to sub-divide and build more villas if we can build and unload them fairly easily and inexpensively.
Tradesmen and laborers for building are readily available. But if you are not project managing, your challenge is to find a project manager you can trust who will not rip you off.

I think I will stop here - you ask so many questions - maybe others will answer some others.