Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Hi Mr. Bagus,

your first posting/ question on this forum was

I would like to know how to go about it, ie Where to look, whether I can get good bargains by going into villages as a bule.

So what can you expect?
Why not – how to be become a millionaire?
Sorry, but do you really think, anybody with this knowledge you are asking for would provide this on a public forum?

The next problem – how would you estimate if something has some value or not of this old stuff, if you don’t know anything about this kind of business?
You intend to hire a guide, somebody who you don’t know and who will lead you to good places to buy and will probably even tell you for which price to buy and what, will mean your business relies on the goodwill of a stranger, it doesn’t take a lot of fantasy to predict the end of this endeavour.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but from your posting I got the impression that you intend to start up a business, without any kind of knowledge, with no network, no connections and this on a very special segment, where others with this knowledge and network have already failed, there are heaps of galleries and shops in Bali and even people with a solid experience are often unable to make money with it.

Froggy is right, it could be dangerous too!
Try to imagine what will happen to you, in the case you are exposing some goods in your store / gallery which have been stolen from a temple (unknowingly)?

Best regards
Thorsten

mrbagus

Dec 18, 2007
perth
Dear Froggy,
I know my stuff. Let me inform everyone right now, that I know my stuff. I know what is the genuine thing & what is not. I can assure you all of that.
My stepmother is Balinese, so I have connections.
But all of you are misreading what I've stated previously.
I have extensive experience in the antique world. I know what I'm looking for.
BUT let me just say that I acknowledge all of you sceptics.
& I might add that my father has a shop in Bali full of jam dinding from the Dutch era. & he got all these Dutch wall clocks from a friend that took him into a village.
So, if anyone has anything to add to this that is constructive, much appreciated. Otherwise don't even bother.
I don't want to know about anything else & if you guys start springing anymore bull...., then I'll be forced to go off this forum., never to be seen again.
I'm sure that most of you don't want that as I have a lot more interests to add to this forum. Not just that. I intend on living there in the near future & I have a lot to contribute to this Forum without letting anyone being anti sosial to me.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
mrbagus,

You will have to excuse some of us for being somewhat overbearing and presemptuous at times: we've been contaminated by psycho-Roy, who thinks that everyone else is a bumbling idiot, cluless about Bali (or about anything else, for that matter). :)

mrbagus

Dec 18, 2007
perth
Merry Xmas to all of you that celebrate xmas or to all of you who have it as part of your culture.
I've just awoken with a bit of a headache, but I'm hoping that will go with the seafood lunch & champagne today :D
Good to see Tintin & Jimbo are more understanding than some on this forum.
And you guys may have just saved a newbie from becoming extinct to this.
I have learnt a lot from this forum & see that it is more of a challenge to keep everyone happy, than to get any useful info about the topic I posted.
Just keep this in mind to all you that doubt what I'm going to do- I am not going to be deterred by any negativeness & nothing posted by any of you sceptics on this topic will stop me from doing what I want to achieve.

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
Ok I re-read your original post :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hi to everyone. Just new to this.
I'm just inquiring if anyone has any info on looking for antiques in Indo-not antiquities, but old things interesting & collectable & of value of course.
I would like to know how to go about it, ie Where to look, whether I can get good bargains by going into villages as a bule.
Any relevant info & help would be much appreciated."
You state nothing of your experience or the fact that you have any connections (inlaws) in Bali, so we gave you our honest answers with the info you provided, or should I say lack of. We more than welcome new members as you can add more to the forum.... Your second post:
"I have extensive experience in the antique world. I know what I'm looking for.
BUT let me just say that I acknowledge all of you sceptics.
& I might add that my father has a shop in Bali full of jam dinding from the Dutch era. & he got all these Dutch wall clocks from a friend that took him into a village. an myself." Sound like you dont need any help from us, we (that I know of)know nothing about what you are looking for, One member here did but now he is gone. We tried to give you our opinions, and reak]lly didnt scoff at you, just told you what we thought with the info. YOU gave. No need to get defensive and threatning. :) .... Good luck.....

mrbagus

Dec 18, 2007
perth
Well Good on you Froggy. You have just summed it all up as one. You haven't read all through the postings on this topic, especially mine.
Who do you mean 'WE' didn't scoff at you. ?????
You're only looking at at your side of or point of view. That's it. Gone. Say good bye to mrbagus everyone coz the forum is not worth it & you can thank the likes of Froggy & DCC for that.
Good bye & wish you all the best for the new year.
You will not ever see me on this forum again & shame, because it has promise. But I didn't find any.
Merry Xmas 2007..

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
A) If all of you who read this don't send me a dollar (1 million rupes, scheckels, pounds, etc) I will leave this forum and never ever ever return.

So there!

B) Alternatively, if you don't send me a dollar, etc. I will stay here and bother you all for all time to come.

Please mark your donations either A) or B) and the group that sends the most wins.

Merry Christmas! :D

bolli

Nov 28, 2005
Australia
Re: RE: Antique Hunting

mrbagus said:
Well Good on you Froggy. You have just summed it all up as one. You haven't read all through the postings on this topic, especially mine.
Who do you mean 'WE' didn't scoff at you. ?????
You're only looking at at your side of or point of view. That's it. Gone. Say good bye to mrbagus everyone coz the forum is not worth it & you can thank the likes of Froggy & DCC for that.
Good bye & wish you all the best for the new year.
You will not ever see me on this forum again & shame, because it has promise. But I didn't find any.
Merry Xmas 2007..

Good bye then. :shock: :shock: :shock:

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
And,I thought he was getting the kind treatment, what a lightweight,,, jeez... either a troll or the biggest pansi I have ever seen, what a whine bag...

rien.gluvers

Jun 26, 2004
The Netherlands near Rotterdam

FreoGirl said:
Yet another non-contributor who expects full and detailed answers to vague questions that to the casual eye seem naive.

Perhaps you are right but this should not be an excuse to give answers that are definitely not truth.
Like Jimbo who writes: Bear in mind also that real antiques are not allowed to be exported.
Not correct you can apply for exportdocuments

And
Tintin: In Bali, there are practically no real "antiques" to speak of. This shows he a. knows nothing about antiques or b. never have been on Bali or c. is totally blind.

Maybe it would be better not to give "advice" on subjects one knows nothing about.

patatje

Nov 30, 2004
belgium, semarang, bali.....
I have to agree with Rien. In Indonesia it is easy to export antiques. But there're better places in Indonesia to find 'real' antiques then Bali. And also 'antiques' has many ways. (I don't know how to say in English but there're many different 'antiques')

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia

rien.gluvers said:
FreoGirl said:
Yet another non-contributor who expects full and detailed answers to vague questions that to the casual eye seem naive.

Perhaps you are right but this should not be an excuse to give answers that are definitely not truth.
Like Jimbo who writes: Bear in mind also that real antiques are not allowed to be exported.
Not correct you can apply for exportdocuments

And
Tintin: In Bali, there are practically no real "antiques" to speak of. This shows he a. knows nothing about antiques or b. never have been on Bali or c. is totally blind.

Maybe it would be better not to give "advice" on subjects one knows nothing about.

Rein, this is a public forum, no one here professes to be an expert in any particular field, and the answers and advice given are mostly subjective and opinion. As Bert has said before, this is not a Bali helpdesk, providing the answers to all those questions people wanting to live in Bali might have.

I'm sure Jimbo and TinTin posted from their knowledge on the subject. It may not be entirely correct, but the original question was pretty vague and didn't ask about permits, export business etc.

I've seen lots of incorrect information on this board and others over the years. I don't think that anyone has ever intentionally posted incorrect information, they are just trying to help.

I don't agree with "Maybe it would be better not to give "advice" on subjects one knows nothing about". Obviously these guys thought they knew something, and it's better to have a reply than none at all, if only for the poster to clarify a bit more what he is interested in.

rien.gluvers

Jun 26, 2004
The Netherlands near Rotterdam

FreoGirl said:
I don't agree with "Maybe it would be better not to give "advice" on subjects one knows nothing about".

I think we can agree to not agree about this.

Both replies were so obvious not correct, that if this kind of misinformation will stand, the value of this forum will devaluate to a place where not to look for information.

Just because those statements where made by members who contribute a lot makes is worse. For a new member it should be possible to have some trust in the input by regular posters. More so if they show in a lot of their answers to think of themselves as “Bali connoisseurs” .