awhar3

Dec 31, 2010
Semarang
I parked my car at seminyak square at 9.. Had dinner across the road till 10.. Jumped on my friends car to go kudeta till 11 (my friemd parked at seminyak square for dinner and drove us to kudeta and back to the parking lot).. Anyway as i was exiting the parking lot securoty guy told me to slow down and asked for parking money.. Igave him 2k n he said to me something like "we're not statues here" in a not too friendly tone...
Have i done something wrong or offended him somehow? Im pretty shocked coz i thought all balinese were all smiles lol

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Probably pissed off that you went to dinner and then kudeta, and came back happy, whilst he was left there standing around and being bored and probably hungry!!!! next time bring him some macca's :icon_lol:

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
I don't think that's a public parking where you can leave your car and go around the city. If you park at Seminyak Square, you're supposed to shop and eat at their facilities.

I had the same somewhere else.

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Yea and what ever you do dont park your bike at kfc jimbaren and leave to go somewhere else. . Know a girl who left her bike there and come back to find security had puntured her tyres .. .

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
mmmmmmmmmm , sounds like initially ignored , then asked to slow down , then asked to pay for the parking of a car that was left there unattended while you went somewhere else . Im wondering ? ..., were you " all smiles" yourself , towards them when you arrived back to your undamaged car ?

Theres no law that says you have to be nice and cheerfull , but their job is a very low paid and boring one , and having people be nice towards them would make it somewhat more plesant .

It feels good to be really nice to people like that ......, and it doesnt hurt to wave , and bid them a " salamat malam Pak " with a smile , and a terima kasih when you give them the parking money , to let them know their job had some purpose :icon_e_wink:

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
yes I agree, don't know where you from but if you give in your home-country a tip like this to a parking person he/she would probably spit at you.

I am from the UK but resident in Indonesia 17 years...some of these people are paid waaaayyyyy below the minimum wage...prices of basic commodities and utilities have went up every year but wages have not...spread a little joy and charity...

mariana

Nov 18, 2012
jakarta
this is disgusting. 2k? i thought you guys earn in dollars. even if we earn in rupiah, for a car parking and tips (if its illegal parking), should be aleast 20k.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Depending on the attitude of the attendant, location, weather...usually Rp5,000-10,000...but during bouts of limited sobriety and torrential rain has been more...I think

Last edited:

meerkat

Nov 14, 2011
Ubud
I parked my car at seminyak square at 9.. Had dinner across the road till 10.. Jumped on my friends car to go kudeta till 11 (my friemd parked at seminyak square for dinner and drove us to kudeta and back to the parking lot).. Anyway as i was exiting the parking lot securoty guy told me to slow down and asked for parking money.. Igave him 2k n he said to me something like "we're not statues here" in a not too friendly tone...
Have i done something wrong or offended him somehow? Im pretty shocked coz i thought all balinese were all smiles lol
in Ubud where the parking attendants are organized with pre printed receipts- the official rate is 1000rph for street side parking -& for supermarket parking at Hardy's in Sanur - Banjar collect a similar amount -just to shed some local expectations on the issue-all very well projecting what you think is fair - but remember there are various tiers to the price structure here - local price, business price (in the case of merchandise) & tourist price shall we say.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Why is it the so many of the ill informed deem it good to pay way over the odds for everything and stand on their self-righteous pulpit exclaiming how the rest of us that are paying normal rates are all assholes?

I just wonder if these same knights in green armour double pay on the parking meter in their home countries because the poor city is bankrupt or add an extra something when the bank charges come due as the poor banks are suffering too.

If you overpay here or anywhere you will just upset the market and raise the hurdle for everyone else - locals included! That will spread the poverty not decrease it. I know someone just moved in from Hawaii with a beautiful villa and guest house - off the bat pays 3 juta in month for gardening staff and pembantu. Gets his coconut trees cleaned and picked for 50k each. Well the "normal" price up here in the East is 1.5 juta for pembantu and gardener and trees are usually done for between 15k and 25.

GGGGGOOOODDDD I hear the green armoured crowd crowing.

The only effect this has had is to stop other bule from employing anyone at all and cause the tree business to be done by locals from farther east for the old price as none of the locals (initially?) are willing to go down in price with the shining Hawaiin example.

Fact is also that most of the parkir guys have paid for their job and will only reluctantly give out receipt as that is then controlled by their bosses/employers. Fact also is that most of the parkir guys are a pain in the ass and haven't clue one how to direct a car (always from the blind spot) and nobody in oncoming traffic pays any attention to them anyway so if you think they are safer than relying on your own abilities then buy good car insurance.

meerkat

Nov 14, 2011
Ubud
Why is it the so many of the ill informed deem it good to pay way over the odds for everything and stand on their self-righteous pulpit exclaiming how the rest of us that are paying normal rates are all assholes?

I just wonder if these same knights in green armour double pay on the parking meter in their home countries because the poor city is bankrupt or add an extra something when the bank charges come due as the poor banks are suffering too.

If you overpay here or anywhere you will just upset the market and raise the hurdle for everyone else - locals included!

Thanks Markit - you raise a good point to which I can attest is already the case in Ubud with the influx of those who Eat too much Pay too much and then Leave!!
now when local Balinese from Ubud go to neighboring villages some of them report being overcharged for goods & services themselves...when asked why- "Orang Ubud=orang kaya"

yesterday's example a ride up the main street to Nuri's that used to cost maybe 10-20k now I'm asked 50k- but like you noted- once some uninformed visitor pays an inflated price of course people will ask that again-and yeah I'll use the service less- buy my own vehicle cos that's just what the island needs - or perhaps it just makes economic sense to me with inflation the way it is here.

I shudder when I hear comparisons made with 'back home' wherever that may be because I feel it's dangerous to import ideas & ideals and project those expectations on all and sundry in the guise of keeping to the moral high ground -

mariana

Nov 18, 2012
jakarta
yes, depend on the attitude.
Regardsless of the storyline, if you wd spend 500k at kudeta having a nice dinner, aint it reasonable to give the parking boy who took a good look on your car for hours and direct your car, a nice tip to spare the thanksgiving?.
i myself spare some tips to parking boy whether its legal metered or illegal park, mostly 15k, after i shop lil grocery, here in jakarta.

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
Mariana, you shouldn't generalized people from a few posts on an online forum :miserable:

As some of the Ubudians would say: "May you found enlightenment soon!" :calm:

:icon_e_biggrin::icon_e_biggrin::icon_e_biggrin: