balinews

Feb 14, 2010
There are plenty of e-commerce companies trying to crack open the Indonesian market, like Tokopedia, Matahari Mall and Lazada. But none of them have quite managed to catch on the way e-commerce giant Amazon has hooked Americans onto their online shopping services.

But now it looks like the original e-commerce superstar is setting its sights on our archipelago. According to Daniel Tumiwa, the Chairman of the E-commerce Association of Indonesia (IDEA), Amazon is coming to Indonesia.

"Amazon has announced it will open e-commerce in Indonesia. It is ready to invest 600 million US dollars (~Rp 8 trillion) for its first year here (in Indonesia)," Daniel said as quoted by Kompas today.

Daniel said he did not know exactly when Amazon would begin operations in Indonesia but said that the companies entry into our market would probably follow the same pattern as its expansion into other large countries such as India: one year of testing the waters followed by a decision on whether to stay in the game or not.

Amazon preparing to expand into Indonesia: E-commerce Association Chairman | Coconuts Jakarta

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
How do you pay? I have tried using my Australian credit card and didn't work when ordering from Bhinneka. The payment was first accepted then I had to wait for a refund.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I pay for all of them using a bank transfers - usually from my Mandiri account to theirs. You can do this via Internet Banking (my preference) but also from ATMs I think. I try and avoid using my Aussie credit card as they charge a 2.5% fee on foreign currency transactions and don't give a good rate either.

When Amazon are checking their options in Indonesia they will need to look at payments and transport. I think the local airlines do pretty welll with payment systems and Amazon could follow their example. For transport, JNE and Tiki are good, but many people have addresses which the couriers cannot locate - so that can be a headache.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
This will be terrific if it happens, especially if customs fees can be prepaid as part of the order process.

modelt1826

Apr 25, 2010
Wilverhampton UK
I have done a lot of work with Amazon in the UK and EU there business model is speed i can order most things any day of the week and expect delivery the following day or in some cases the same day. I agree with Ron this will be a humungus task with in Indonesia. I only hope they succeed it could make shopping a whole lot easier.